Region 2-3a Schedules

QUOTE(ruse? @ Mar 20 2007 - 12:53 PM) 826418600[/snapback]Perception.

I think Old Cat Fan had a very good point about Livingston in 05. You are right though AE was beat by both Webb and Red Bank in 06. On the other hand, AE beat both of them in 05. Also, the Webb victory in 06 was tainted by some very close 4th & 1 "non conversions" and a missed opportunity for a 2 pt. conversion for the victory which was also a VERY close call. AE, most assuredly improved as the season went on because of the competition they played. Same with LA in 05. Fulton started out 0-3 in 05, and ran the table until Catholic upset them in the 1/4 finals. FWIW, the team to keep an eye on this yr. for that kind of improvement over the course of a season is Anderson County.

First of all, I am all for teams that are more than likely going to the playoffs to go play better teams as AE often does, however when you are Scott or LA why go get drilled by teams outside of your region? I believe you get better by playing teams that are somewhat equal and you don't get better by playing teams that beat you by 50, I don't understand how that makes any sense at all, I do give credit to LA, however I do not know what their schedule was in 05, but I do know they had the best football player in the region that year and that was a great run to the Championship

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(perception @ Mar 22 2007 - 06:32 PM) 826420575[/snapback]First of all, I am all for teams that are more than likely going to the playoffs to go play better teams as AE often does, however when you are Scott or LA why go get drilled by teams outside of your region? I believe you get better by playing teams that are somewhat equal and you don't get better by playing teams that beat you by 50, I don't understand how that makes any sense at all, I do give credit to LA, however I do not know what their schedule was in 05, but I do know they had the best football player in the region that year and that was a great run to the Championship

Hey Perception.

I agree with some of the above. Sometimes teams, especially young ones do get drilled out side (and inside) their region. Bear with me. In 05, Fulton got destroyed by Alcoa @ Fulton. Don't remember the exact score, but Alcoa won by 30 plus. Fulton did get better from that in 05, and those youngsters wound up returning the favor @ Alcoa in 06 in a much closer game than 05. Sometimes teams just don't believe in their ability (05 LA), and then for whatever reason they start to believe. I think it is good for teams to play better competition as opposed to "somewhat equal." Here is another example. In 05 that same Fulton team stomped a hole in Catholic @ their place. Score was something like 35-10. For whatever reason Catholic did not believe, but just like Fulton did after Alcoa, they licked their chops, kept working and beat them in the playoffs.

Physical talent is important. So is mental toughness. "If it does'nt kill you, it makes you tougher" does have some truth to it. CAK has been blasted by Alcoa each yr. for the last 3 or 4 yrs. But they keep getting closer. Maybe they never beat them, but CAK does keep getting better in region, and out. FWIW. Cates was the best football player in the region that yr. He was not the fastest, strongest, quickest, etc. Nor was the team. But as a group, they were smart, tough,talented, and believed they could win and did. That is what made him the best football player.

QUOTE(ruse? @ Mar 23 2007 - 12:18 PM) 826421072[/snapback]Hey Perception.

I agree with some of the above. Sometimes teams, especially young ones do get drilled out side (and inside) their region. Bear with me. In 05, Fulton got destroyed by Alcoa @ Fulton. Don't remember the exact score, but Alcoa won by 30 plus. Fulton did get better from that in 05, and those youngsters wound up returning the favor @ Alcoa in 06 in a much closer game than 05. Sometimes teams just don't believe in their ability (05 LA), and then for whatever reason they start to believe. I think it is good for teams to play better competition as opposed to "somewhat equal." Here is another example. In 05 that same Fulton team stomped a hole in Catholic @ their place. Score was something like 35-10. For whatever reason Catholic did not believe, but just like Fulton did after Alcoa, they licked their chops, kept working and beat them in the playoffs.

Physical talent is important. So is mental toughness. "If it does'nt kill you, it makes you tougher" does have some truth to it. CAK has been blasted by Alcoa each yr. for the last 3 or 4 yrs. But they keep getting closer. Maybe they never beat them, but CAK does keep getting better in region, and out. FWIW. Cates was the best football player in the region that yr. He was not the fastest, strongest, quickest, etc. Nor was the team. But as a group, they were smart, tough,talented, and believed they could win and did. That is what made him the best football player.

Ruse again I agree with you Fulton vs. Alcoa it makes both teams better, AE-Redbank same thing, The teams that have the athletes to compete with the big time schools should go do it, but what would Scott or LA gain by playing Alcoa, especially when they play AE, Fulton and Catholic in the region, if they didn't have to play these teams in the region, I would understand going out a playing a tough team but not when you play in a region that tough, but by no means do I suggest scheduling easy wins like Scott has done with Wartburg but I think teams are better served playing against teams of equal or a little more talented rather than 50 points more talented were more than likely you can't run your usual offense and defense ends up being a track meet. In that region, AE, Fulton and Catholic go out of region to prepare for each other, the other teams get better by playing AE, Fulton, and Catholic

QUOTE(perception @ Mar 23 2007 - 03:27 PM) 826421149[/snapback]Ruse again I agree with you Fulton vs. Alcoa it makes both teams better, AE-Redbank same thing, The teams that have the athletes to compete with the big time schools should go do it, but what would Scott or LA gain by playing Alcoa, especially when they play AE, Fulton and Catholic in the region, if they didn't have to play these teams in the region, I would understand going out a playing a tough team but not when you play in a region that tough, but by no means do I suggest scheduling easy wins like Scott has done with Wartburg but I think teams are better served playing against teams of equal or a little more talented rather than 50 points more talented were more than likely you can't run your usual offense and defense ends up being a track meet. In that region, AE, Fulton and Catholic go out of region to prepare for each other, the other teams get better by playing AE, Fulton, and Catholic

I am not the original. He from what I understand is back in the east coast now after being out west. He is lucky his butt is not in Iraq or abu gr??/ how ever you spell it. I am not as close (family) as he is with coach graham. I see him every once in a while in Oak Ridge. Graham doesn't talk much about football so I don't get info from him. I hear he is working hard brokering deals with his kids as far as college recruiting. Last time he was in Oak Ridge he was telling some buddies that he will have a signing day for kids who didn't sign on signing day( they were asking about Troutman). AE actually have several kids who committed to teams but has not leaked to the press yet. Graham wanted them to have their day. Like I said I don't know him ... let me say he doesn't know me as well as I know the the real coacht boorelly (which was the nickname of coach grahams other cousin Elker Jones the actual real real boorelly). But I do have ears in east knoxville and still friends on the staff. As far as QB Mark Montgomery 6'4 180 is the guy returning. Made tremendous improvement the last 2 years. He has a great arm. He throws as well if not better than Troutman. I actually watched him twice. A coworker of mine whom son plays for Anderson County was impressed with him at a passing camp at Tennessee Tech. What he has yet to prove is Troutman's knowledge, saavy and leadership. He did a great job JV last two years. He does have good speed and does not hesitate to run.

Kenny Jones (LB) is returning. Matter of fact they loose 3 guys on defense. All of the LBs will return. Hopefully Brandon Johnson gets his act together and will add a lot of depth to the LB corp. Kenny has went to several combines (US Army in San Antonio) and has posted great times. You will see him run the ball more this year. Tre Smith is probably the most explosive and exciting player to return. Blazing speed and quickness. Webb is the first game. and I think the rest of the schedule is correct.

QUOTE(perception @ Mar 23 2007 - 02:27 PM) 826421149[/snapback]Ruse again I agree with you Fulton vs. Alcoa it makes both teams better, AE-Redbank same thing, The teams that have the athletes to compete with the big time schools should go do it, but what would Scott or LA gain by playing Alcoa, especially when they play AE, Fulton and Catholic in the region, if they didn't have to play these teams in the region, I would understand going out a playing a tough team but not when you play in a region that tough, but by no means do I suggest scheduling easy wins like Scott has done with Wartburg but I think teams are better served playing against teams of equal or a little more talented rather than 50 points more talented were more than likely you can't run your usual offense and defense ends up being a track meet. In that region, AE, Fulton and Catholic go out of region to prepare for each other, the other teams get better by playing AE, Fulton, and Catholic

Hey Perception.

OK, I think we ratcheted that dowm to the core issue. "Mid-region" teams should play teams that are eqaul or a bit better than them on paper, and not teams that they are likely to beat by 40 plus points. I did not mean to be a pest. Just wanted to root out the commies amongst us. You know those that believe there are no losers, and think marking a kid's paper with red as oppposed to pink ink is toooooo harsh.

QUOTE(boorelly @ Mar 26 2007 - 07:30 AM) 826422857[/snapback]I am not the original. He from what I understand is back in the east coast now after being out west. He is lucky his butt is not in Iraq or abu gr??/ how ever you spell it. I am not as close (family) as he is with coach graham. I see him every once in a while in Oak Ridge. Graham doesn't talk much about football so I don't get info from him. I hear he is working hard brokering deals with his kids as far as college recruiting. Last time he was in Oak Ridge he was telling some buddies that he will have a signing day for kids who didn't sign on signing day( they were asking about Troutman). AE actually have several kids who committed to teams but has not leaked to the press yet. Graham wanted them to have their day. Like I said I don't know him ... let me say he doesn't know me as well as I know the the real coacht boorelly (which was the nickname of coach grahams other cousin Elker Jones the actual real real boorelly). But I do have ears in east knoxville and still friends on the staff. As far as QB Mark Montgomery 6'4 180 is the guy returning. Made tremendous improvement the last 2 years. He has a great arm. He throws as well if not better than Troutman. I actually watched him twice. A coworker of mine whom son plays for Anderson County was impressed with him at a passing camp at Tennessee Tech. What he has yet to prove is Troutman's knowledge, saavy and leadership. He did a great job JV last two years. He does have good speed and does not hesitate to run.

Kenny Jones (LB) is returning. Matter of fact they loose 3 guys on defense. All of the LBs will return. Hopefully Brandon Johnson gets his act together and will add a lot of depth to the LB corp. Kenny has went to several combines (US Army in San Antonio) and has posted great times. You will see him run the ball more this year. Tre Smith is probably the most explosive and exciting player to return. Blazing speed and quickness. Webb is the first game. and I think the rest of the schedule is correct.

Hey boorelly.

Thanks for the info on Jones. I thought he was a Jr. last yr. I was very impressed with him @ LB, and thought that AE would do well to have him tote the ball. I think that 08 could really be the year of the LB in this region. Cobb & Stokes @ Fulton, the above kids @ AE, Tait & Trussler @ Catholic, and Kingston has a couple as well. So I guess we will get to see who has the better DLs to ensure that the OLs are kept off those LBs.

QUOTE(LEONARDSLOSERS @ Mar 25 2007 - 07:53 PM) 826422454[/snapback]Ok guys back from a good vacation with the wife and kids. Lets have some good talk and debate while the cheapskates can still be involved on here.

Leonard.

Glad you're back. Thought you got so busy with Media Days that you had given up on us bottom dwellers:)

boorelly

FWIW.Jones' #s from the US Army AA Game Combine. 5-11, 204. Wingspan of 76.5 & Reach of 93.5. Vertical of 30. Pro Agility Drill of 4.49, 40 Yd of 4.75, and 17 Bench Reps. Like you said good #s. From what I understand the AA Combine is VERY particular about being accurate in the measuring and reporting of the athlete's performance.

QUOTE(ruse? @ Mar 26 2007 - 09:23 AM) 826422899[/snapback]Hey boorelly.

Thanks for the info on Jones. I thought he was a Jr. last yr. I was very impressed with him @ LB, and thought that AE would do well to have him tote the ball. I think that 08 could really be the year of the LB in this region. Cobb & Stokes @ Fulton, the above kids @ AE, Tait & Trussler @ Catholic, and Kingston has a couple as well. So I guess we will get to see who has the better DLs to ensure that the OLs are kept off those LBs.

what about Kries from scott he was 2nd in tackles last year if im not mistaken 2nd or 3rd?! He returns but i guess since is from scott hes being over looked like great athletes before have. Look at Jordon Jeffers. He hsould be playing for UT or some D-1 School he recently places 2nd and 3rd in national races. but he is from sott which means he cant be any good. Scott vaden from scott beat UTS starting center frogge i think is his name everyplay.