State Duals

BuckLateral

QUOTE(G money @ Feb 3 2007 - 05:50 PM) 826357205[/snapback]

Check yourself red, maryville won AAA region II but are not the best team in our region, and regardless of injury blake and nic had a prime opportunity to face some of the best in both weight classes the coach should have taken that chance to at least get something good out the match.

I tend to agree with you on all counts.

Maryville is going to have to wrestle the big boys during the season if they ever expect to seriously challenge for a duals title.

With 11 days to go before states ( unless the kids were truly injured as opposed to worrying that they COULD get injured ) a tough match win or lose would seem logical to me in order to get them ready for the big show in Chattanooga.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(maj @ Feb 3 2007 - 05:59 PM) 826357213[/snapback]

I tend to agree with you on all counts.

Maryville is going to have to wrestle the big boys during the season if they ever expect to seriously challenge for a duals title.

With 11 days to go before states ( unless the kids were truly injured as opposed to worrying that they COULD get injured ) a tough match win or lose would seem logical to me in order to get them ready for the big show in Chattanooga.

a tough match is not the problem here, like you said with 11 days to go before state it is neccesary to protect the wrestlers. they did participate at the hoover intvite and i believe nic took osborne (already 4 time state champ) into overtime in a nail biter that he will not soon forget. blake avenged his previous loss to tanner johnson with a pin as he was winning the match. i think that they can say they've had a couple of tough matches with the "big boys"

Your standing strong and backing your team and i understand that, however step back and look at the whole picture. Nic had the chance to face jason. Why would you not jump at that opportunity? If the thought of getting hurt is what had the coach hold him back then i stand by it being a cop-out and only fear of tarnishing him rep.

QUOTE(G money @ Feb 3 2007 - 06:28 PM) 826357244[/snapback]

Your standing strong and backing your team and i understand that, however step back and look at the whole picture. Nic had the chance to face jason. Why would you not jump at that opportunity? If the thought of getting hurt is what had the coach hold him back then i stand by it being a cop-out and only fear of tarnishing him rep.

it had nothing to do with nic, he had no choice in the matter coach went up to him and jeremy hendricks and refused to let either of them wrestle in any hard matches for the weekend because of injury.

QUOTE(ReD N' BlAcK FaNaTiC @ Feb 3 2007 - 06:05 PM) 826357220[/snapback]

a tough match is not the problem here, like you said with 11 days to go before state it is neccesary to protect the wrestlers. they did participate at the hoover intvite and i believe nic took osborne (already 4 time state champ) into overtime in a nail biter that he will not soon forget. blake avenged his previous loss to tanner johnson with a pin as he was winning the match. i think that they can say they've had a couple of tough matches with the "big boys"

I meant 11 days is plenty of time to recover from a tough match. If the kids were not presently injured then I would have wrestled them. By your line of thinking I guess no one should practice 2 weeks before states for fear of injury. Anytime you step on the mat the potential for injury is there, avoiding tough guys is hardly a recipe for success. How many matches did Shields get in Clarksville ? What is the sense of going at all if not to wrestle ?

From the looks of their schedule " a couple of tough matches " pretty well describes Maryville's season. Until they regularly schedule the likes of Bradley, Soddy, NDame, Oltlwah, etc they will be exposed at the state tournament as pretenders.

QUOTE(G money @ Feb 3 2007 - 04:50 PM) 826357205[/snapback]

Check yourself red, maryville won AAA region II but are not the best team in our region, and regardless of injury blake and nic had a prime opportunity to face some of the best in both weight classes the coach should have taken that chance to at least get something good out the match.

I agree G money, why bother going if your so worried about injury. If your team's heart isn't into wrestling hard and representing region 2 then don't win regions and keep another team from going. That type of mentality is probably the reason that Maryville has NEVER had a state champ.. dual or individual. But you have to give Landon Hall credit that kid is tough and puts it on the line,maybe the rest of that team could follow his lead, you don't sneak your way to a championship... you earn it.

QUOTE(13cjk @ Feb 3 2007 - 07:22 PM) 826357280[/snapback]

I agree G money, why bother going if your so worried about injury. If your team's heart isn't into wrestling hard and representing region 2 then don't win regions and keep another team from going. That type of mentality is probably the reason that Maryville has NEVER had a state champ.. dual or individual. But you have to give Landon Hall credit that kid is tough and puts it on the line,maybe the rest of that team could follow his lead, you don't sneak your way to a championship... you earn it.

dude thats a bunch of crap and you know it, we had two other wrestlers last year who could've been in the same position but was put out due to injuries, jeremy hendricks and nic shields were both injured last year at state, landon was not the only wrestler on the maryville team

I promise you none of the wrestlers on maryville chickened out. Hendricks has struggled with injuries in the past and through the season so he wasnt going to wrestle. Ridenour was ready to go as well, and coach just wanted him to be ready for tomorrow in the match we could actually win. Shields wouldnt have backed down either but coach felt the same way towards him as he did ridenour. This wasnt a "pansy" act or whatever you want to call it. Coach was just looking further into the tournament and looking out for the health of his wrestlers. Landon hall went out there and fought his butt off he tried a desperation throw at the end when he was trailing by one. Just let these boys prove themselves at state in two weeks... and i know they will.

QUOTE(maj @ Feb 3 2007 - 07:18 PM) 826357277[/snapback]

I meant 11 days is plenty of time to recover from a tough match. If the kids were not presently injured then I would have wrestled them. By your line of thinking I guess no one should practice 2 weeks before states for fear of injury. Anytime you step on the mat the potential for injury is there, avoiding tough guys is hardly a recipe for success. How many matches did Shields get in Clarksville ? What is the sense of going at all if not to wrestle ?

From the looks of their schedule " a couple of tough matches " pretty well describes Maryville's season. Until they regularly schedule the likes of Bradley, Soddy, NDame, Oltlwah, etc they will be exposed at the state tournament as pretenders.

i have never disagreed with the fact that maryville's schedule is weak, it is extremely weak and until we start gettin out of region 2 then we're gonna stay that way, but the discussion at hand is not the fact that maryvilles competition on their schedule stinks, its that everyone is tryin to say that nic shields and blake ridenour were duckin the competition, that was all up to the coach, it had nothing to due with the wreslters, so you can leave them out of it

QUOTE(Reb Wrestler @ Feb 3 2007 - 08:08 PM) 826357318[/snapback]

I promise you none of the wrestlers on maryville chickened out. Hendricks has struggled with injuries in the past and through the season so he wasnt going to wrestle. Ridenour was ready to go as well, and coach just wanted him to be ready for tomorrow in the match we could actually win. Shields wouldnt have backed down either but coach felt the same way towards him as he did ridenour. This wasnt a "pansy" act or whatever you want to call it. Coach was just looking further into the tournament and looking out for the health of his wrestlers. Landon hall went out there and fought his butt off he tried a desperation throw at the end when he was trailing by one. Just let these boys prove themselves at state in two weeks... and i know they will.

exactly, i know for a fact that blake was up and ready to go when his match was coming around, as for nic and jeremy it was the same way, but the decision was made before we left maryville.