State Duals

BuckLateral

BB.........while Ooltewah is going to be tough next year. Dont count out Soddy Daisy. We will be returning 103 justin hammons, 112 dustin stewart, 125 taylor witt, 130 mikey fuller, 171 ben young, hwt billy zimmerman. we also have tough guys that couldnt crack our line up this year...103 dustin gardner, 130 jake fein and jake gamble (both spent time on varsity until mikey dropped), 145, brandon lane (john lane's little brother), 152 Tristan McCroskey (jason mccroskey's little brother), and 160 Colby Lewis who was a starter last year but had shoulder surgery this season. anyway, Soddy will again be very solid again next year.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rabbitt @ Feb 6 2007 - 12:22 PM) 826360413[/snapback]

BB.........while Ooltewah is going to be tough next year. Dont count out Soddy Daisy. We will be returning 103 justin hammons, 112 dustin stewart, 125 taylor witt, 130 mikey fuller, 171 ben young, hwt billy zimmerman. we also have tough guys that couldnt crack our line up this year...103 dustin gardner, 130 jake fein and jake gamble (both spent time on varsity until mikey dropped), 145, brandon lane (john lane's little brother), 152 Tristan McCroskey (jason mccroskey's little brother), and 160 Colby Lewis who was a starter last year but had shoulder surgery this season. anyway, Soddy will again be very solid again next year.

depressing news for many teams across the state.

QUOTE(Rabbitt @ Feb 6 2007 - 12:22 PM) 826360413[/snapback]

Rabbitt - I don't think anyone will be counting out Soddy. If Ooltewah wants to be the man, they'll have to beat the man.

I'm pretty sure they'll kill us next year. We'll be lucky to have a full lineup.

What a great way to spend eight bucks. Yes, it got warm. Yes, I at times felt like a praying mantis folding my legs up so as to not knee in the back the person seated in front of me. Yes, it seemed crazy for neutral spectators to feel the need to relinquish seats to fans of the match at hand. But I thought the Clarksville folk did a fine job with everything within their control. Kudos to them. Of course, it didn't take much to leave me in a good mood, after hitting the trifecta with firsts for Soddy, Notre Dame, and Baylor--and a third for Ooltewah. Nirvana!

BCB is right, the Notre Dame-Seymour match was great, especially if you could keep up with all the crazy calls and defaults and penalties. What a circus! Two teams and sets of fans that loved being there and couldn't have been more enthusiastic. It was a pleasure to watch this barn-burner, right up to Heath's Heroics there at the end. Congrats too to the ND 103, who was down 5-0 after being thrown hard out-of-bounds and got up dazed and looking all but through. But he fights back to tie and go ahead before a screaming crowd before a heartbreaking loss at the buzzer. I hated that for him, but he showed a lot of heart, and should be mighty proud. Welcome to Seymour and their folks--great season and tournament and look forward to seeing more of you in the future.

Much has been accomplished in Chattanooga in recent decades through its famous "public-private partnerships," but my favorite is the one that Soddy Daisy and Baylor seem to have developed in recent years. Kicking off the season against each other, wrestling in numerous tournaments against each other, and especially the training together that many of the kids do, it can't help but be really beneficial to both programs. So it wasn't so much rooting against Bradley as rooting for our neighbors to the north that had a lot of red-clad arms raised and cheering at key points in the D-I finals. Winning the first three matches, Bradley had a full head of steam--that is, until Mr. R-O-B-E-R-S-O-N strode to the mat. Instant momentum change and SD rolled from there. Congrats especially to Fuller for the thrilling finish and Winesburg for finding redemption.

And chalk another one up for good ol' Bailey High. While all the usual suspects did their usual superlative jobs, the night belonged to Fritz Doster, Andy Shuford, and Wes Stroud, at 171, 189, and 215, respectively. McCallie lost to Ryan in the semis because they gave up pins from 171-285 and couldn't recover. Doster, Shuford, and Stroud each lost close matches to their McCallie counterparts the week before, and, given that Doster had to face 117-time state champion Aaron Bateman and Shuford and Stroud both faced excellent Ryan wrestlers that outweighed them by nearly thirty pounds, the same fate seemed likely for them. But instead of giving up 18 points, these three guys stayed off their backs, fought like heroes, and only gave up 11. Then Still wins at 285, and what had been a 24-point advantage in the four heaviest weights for Ryan against McCallie shrank to an eight-point advantage against Baylor, heading into the meat of Baylor's lineup. Game over. I know everyone who was at the match knows all this, so sorry, but I just wanted to see this written down somewhere. Those kids deserve it. Great coaching and great heart carried the day.

Oh, and any non-Ryan fan who didn't enjoy Colton Popp's pin just ain't alive. What a great moment for him.

Finally, let me give thanks to the Ryan father who made a point to walk over to me after the match and shake my hand and offer congratulations. He said he was the dad of a senior, but I'm sorry to say I neglected to ask who. I wish more of us more often do what he did, myself included. A great end to a great day.

Only a little over a week left until another long, cold offseason? Say it ain't so. Fortunately, here come the traditionals:

Grab your ticket and your suitcase

Thunder's rolling down this track

You don't know where you're goin'

But you know you won't be back...

Big wheels roll through fields where

Sunlight streams

Meet me in a

Land of hope and dreams

What a great way to spend eight bucks. .

Finally, let me give thanks to the Ryan father who made a point to walk over to me after the match and shake my hand and offer congratulations. He said he was the dad of a senior, but I'm sorry to say I neglected to ask who. I wish more of us more often do what he did, myself included. A great end to a great day.

Only a little over a week left until another long, cold offseason? Say it ain't so. Fortunately, here come the traditionals:

I enjoyed reading that ...Good Post!!

QUOTE(takedown3 @ Feb 3 2007 - 10:27 AM) 826356888[/snapback]

Who was the one legged (He actually had a vestigial leg that hung from his singlet) wrestler who won the state in 1990? He did a back flip after he won. If you don't know what "vestigial" means, look it up at the Baylor library - the dictionary is the big book next to the two coloring books.

bump

jeff loyd won the title in 1991. placed either 4 or 6 in nationals.