ND A-AA State Champs and class act

MatKat

QUOTE(MatKat @ Feb 4 2007 - 12:28 AM) 826357627[/snapback]

I enjoyed watching the A-AA State Championship tonight. Congratulations to both teams and their wrestlers on a hard fought match.

However there were a couple of middle aged men from Seymour who set toward the top of the stands and screamed the dumbest things I have every heard at a High School Wrestling event. They must have thought this was the WWF!

These so called men/parent's screamed the following over and over during the 103 and 125 match and I quote!

I thought the ND fans showed a lot of class not responding to these cretins from the sticks! They are lucky that an ND Mom didn't put them in there place.

After all of their loud mouth antics, these so called men took off prior to the final

NO CLASS!!!

There were a couple of wrestling fans around me who said they were there to cheer for seymour but started pulling for ND after these loud mouths started.

Some good soul from Seymour needs to talk to these 2 men and let them know that cheering for one's team to kill and bust em up is going to rup so folks the wrong way.

I wondered if anyone heard the ND parents BOO when one of our kids got a head injury and was throwing up in a trash bag on the mat. Also one screamed out come on lets wrestle this is a state championship no time for injuries. I definitely don't excuse the parents from Seymour that were acting that way but I can also say that booing a kid that is hurt in not at all very classy either. Also I didn't think it was very fair to deduct the point at the end from seymour because a kid knocked a chair over and not deduct a point from ND with their Heavy Weight through his head gear right at the refs feet in celebration, of course he said it slipped but it was VERY obvious that he threw it.

We can go back in forth forever about everything that happened but the truth is Seymour put a scare into ND and they knew we were there and we always have next year again only losing one senior to come back and take the title. Way to go Seymour team we are very proud of you.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any chance that Notre Dame and Father Ryan will schedule the Sunday afternoon match in 2007-2008 that they wrestled for so many years? I have been told that Simpson has asked Notre Dame several times the last few years to do this but for some reason Notre Dame could not find a date. When this match was wrestled @ 1:00pm on Sunday afternoon in Nashville it was hard to find a seat in the old Father Ryan gym.

QUOTE(MatKat @ Feb 4 2007 - 12:28 AM) 826357627[/snapback]

I enjoyed watching the A-AA State Championship tonight. Congratulations to both teams and their wrestlers on a hard fought match.

However there were a couple of middle aged men from Seymour who set toward the top of the stands and screamed the dumbest things I have every heard at a High School Wrestling event. They must have thought this was the WWF!

These so called men/parent's screamed the following over and over during the 103 and 125 match and I quote!

I thought the ND fans showed a lot of class not responding to these cretins from the sticks! They are lucky that an ND Mom didn't put them in there place.

After all of their loud mouth antics, these so called men took off prior to the final

NO CLASS!!!

There were a couple of wrestling fans around me who said they were there to cheer for seymour but started pulling for ND after these loud mouths started.

Some good soul from Seymour needs to talk to these 2 men and let them know that cheering for one's team to kill and bust em up is going to rup so folks the wrong way.

This is the first time I have replied in a venue like this. I read this forum regularly because I enjoy and support wrestling and want to keep up with, not only the Seymour kids, but lots of other young wrestlers from other schools I've come to know and who, along with their parents, I consider to be friends. Do we really need to get into discussions here about whose fans said what and whether a team had a member with a bad attitude?

ABUSIVE FANS:

It is sad to see folks taking this space to complain about someone's fans or a team's sportsmanship. Every team has fans that don't represent the team or community. At the Seymour and Notre Dame finals, I was at the mat's edge and a loud Notre Dame fan behind the scoring table was taunting and insulting the Seymour wrestlers who were hurt. I was embarrassed for everyone there. No one who steps on a mat to compete should be treated like that. A week ago, it was not certain that no less than five injured Seymour wrestlers would be able to compete in the state championship tournament. Four of them took the mat Saturday. I'm sure Notre Dame had some of the same end of the season problems with banged up wrestlers. In fact, after the semi-finals an Irish wrestler with a taped up hand was throwing up in a trash can and no one was making fun of him. I was proud of him. I applaud his grit and determination. It is part of what makes wrestling such a great sport, perseverance in the face of adversity. All of these wrestlers who put their personal troubles and painful injuries aside to compete should be applauded, regardless of who they wrestled for.

I hope someone from Notre Dame talked to this loud mouth guy who was so far out of line, just like I hope Seymour fans would do if they heard any fan being ugly. But I don't take that guy's poor behaviour to be a fair representation of the Notre Dame wrestling community.

UNSPORTMANLIKE CONDUCT TEAM POINT DEDUCTION:

As far as the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty point taken off Seymour's team score, I was one of several people in a position to see most of what happened. I really couldn't tell if the Seymour wrestler kicked a chair or got tangled up stepping through the chairs, but the ref was at the scoring table about to sign the scoring sheets, facing away from the mat and did not see it, and it looked like the other ref was also out of position to see what really happened. When the chairs clanged together the ref at the scoring table turned to look, and a man walking by pointed at the Seymour wrestler as if to say, "It wasn't me." By then, the Seymour wrestler was walking away. The match was over. The hand shaking had begun and Notre Dame was celebrating. The ref turned his head back around and said, "I guess that's a team point from Seymour." He adjusted the score and signed the score sheets and when it was pointed out he didn't see what happened, he said, "It was confirmed by a tournament official." He then sought out the other ref after the fact. I don't think that was appropriate and was a low blow that mars what was a wonderful championship match. When the wrestlers walked off the mat there was one point separating two great teams who both fought admirably.

But instead of complaining or finger pointing, I think we should be celebrating a great showdown that was brewing all year. And to come down to the last match . . . it couldn't have been written any better.

The fact is that every team there could probably point out incidents of unbecoming conduct from the competition and abusive loud mouthed fans. You don't wrestle if you aren't competitive and you can't control who shows up at an event. The TSSAA can police unruly behaviour but only up to a point.

What's more important is that we counter the loud mouths by being respectful and honorable in how we treat all of the kids, their coaches and fans. The kids need good examples to counter the bad ones.

My personal experience has been that Notre Dame is a class act and their team and coaches were cordial and gracious after their win and I appreciate that. I would never let a few jerks in the stands take anything away from my respect for Notre Dame or their state title, and I think the same principal applies for Seymour.

I would rather see debate here on what a wonderful championship we saw. How could it have been any more exciting than to have the outcome be uncertain until the last second had ticked off the clock? Both teams had a great year and it was a wonderful, well fought match. Congratulations to Notre Dame for their win, and congratulations to both teams for a good season. My hat's off to both of them. We could have the beginning of a healthy rivalry which can only be good for the sport.

If you want to debate the match, watch the video and let's get away from finger pointing and complaining and focus on the wrestling and these great kids.

I would also like to say thank you to Clarksville High School for being good hosts and providing some great staff support. The teenagers that helped were great. Thank you.

QUOTE(bootnchove @ Feb 5 2007 - 12:03 PM) 826359103[/snapback]

This is the first time I have replied in a venue like this. I read this forum regularly because I enjoy and support wrestling and want to keep up with, not only the Seymour kids, but lots of other young wrestlers from other schools I've come to know and who, along with their parents, I consider to be friends. Do we really need to get into discussions here about whose fans said what and whether a team had a member with a bad attitude?

ABUSIVE FANS:

It is sad to see folks taking this space to complain about someone's fans or a team's sportsmanship. Every team has fans that don't represent the team or community. At the Seymour and Notre Dame finals, I was at the mat's edge and a loud Notre Dame fan behind the scoring table was taunting and insulting the Seymour wrestlers who were hurt. I was embarrassed for everyone there. No one who steps on a mat to compete should be treated like that. A week ago, it was not certain that no less than five injured Seymour wrestlers would be able to compete in the state championship tournament. Four of them took the mat Saturday. I'm sure Notre Dame had some of the same end of the season problems with banged up wrestlers. In fact, after the semi-finals an Irish wrestler with a taped up hand was throwing up in a trash can and no one was making fun of him. I was proud of him. I applaud his grit and determination. It is part of what makes wrestling such a great sport, perseverance in the face of adversity. All of these wrestlers who put their personal troubles and painful injuries aside to compete should be applauded, regardless of who they wrestled for.

I hope someone from Notre Dame talked to this loud mouth guy who was so far out of line, just like I hope Seymour fans would do if they heard any fan being ugly. But I don't take that guy's poor behaviour to be a fair representation of the Notre Dame wrestling community.

As far as the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty point taken off Seymour's team score, I was one of several people in a position to see most of what happened. I really couldn't tell if the Seymour wrestler kicked a chair or got tangled up stepping through the chairs, but the ref was at the scoring table about to sign the scoring sheets, facing away from the mat and did not see it, and it looked like the other ref was also out of position to see what really happened. When the chairs clanged together the ref at the scoring table turned to look, and a man walking by pointed at the Seymour wrestler as if to say, "It wasn't me." By then, the Seymour wrestler was walking away. The match was over. The hand shaking had begun and Notre Dame was celebrating. The ref turned his head back around and said, "I guess that's a team point from Seymour." He adjusted the score and signed the score sheets and when it was pointed out he didn't see what happened, he said, "It was confirmed by a tournament official." He then sought out the other ref after the fact. I don't think that was appropriate and was a low blow that mars what was a wonderful championship match. When the wrestlers walked off the mat there was one point separating two great teams who both fought admirably.

But instead of complaining or finger pointing, I think we should be celebrating a great showdown that was brewing all year. And to come down to the last match . . . it couldn't have been written any better.

The fact is that every team there could probably point out incidents of unbecoming conduct from the competition and abusive loud mouthed fans. You don't wrestle if you aren't competitive and you can't control who shows up at an event. The TSSAA can police unruly behaviour but only up to a point.

What's more important is that we counter the loud mouths by being respectful and honorable in how we treat all of the kids, their coaches and fans. The kids need good examples to counter the bad ones.

My personal experience has been that Notre Dame is a class act and their team and coaches were cordial and gracious after their win and I appreciate that. I would never let a few jerks in the stands take anything away from my respect for Notre Dame or their state title, and I think the same principal applies for Seymour.

I would rather see debate here on what a wonderful championship we saw. How could it have been any more exciting than to have the outcome be uncertain until the last second had ticked off the clock? Both teams had a great year and it was a wonderful, well fought match. Congratulations to Notre Dame for their win, and congratulations to both teams for a good season. My hat's off to both of them. We could have the beginning of a healthy rivalry which can only be good for the sport.

If you want to debate the match, watch the video and let's get away from finger pointing and complaining and focus on the wrestling and these great kids.

I would also like to say thank you to Clarksville High School for being good hosts and providing some great staff support. The teenagers that helped were great. Thank you.

I have been pondering what to say for the last two days since the final match and i would have to agree whole heartedly with you. I was set to come on here and start throwing mud about how i thought the refs job was done, also about the poor sportsmanship some of the fans had and i even wanted to take some jabs at the ND team but by reading your article i realized that regardles of the outcome i know these kids worked their buts of on and off the mat to succeed at something they love and we should all be so lucky to reach the pinnacle as they have. Congrats to Notre Dame, and for the Seymour team and fans you truly are a class act and deserve that championship as good as any team does.

QUOTE(bootnchove @ Feb 5 2007 - 01:03 PM) 826359103[/snapback]

ABUSIVE FANS:

so well spoken....

QUOTE(cbg @ Feb 5 2007 - 08:54 AM) 826358952[/snapback]

Is there any chance that Notre Dame and Father Ryan will schedule the Sunday afternoon match in 2007-2008 that they wrestled for so many years? I have been told that Simpson has asked Notre Dame several times the last few years to do this but for some reason Notre Dame could not find a date. When this match was wrestled @ 1:00pm on Sunday afternoon in Nashville it was hard to find a seat in the old Father Ryan gym.

I agree with your sentiment cbq, but unfortunately I don't think we will ever see those days again now that ND has moved over to D-I. With FRHS in D-II, I don't see ND driving over for a match against a D-II opponent-------- recall the lengthly, emotional and sometimes irrational posts that were generated last year over Notre Dame dropping D-II Baylor from its schedule. They were not on it this season as well, though I'm told that Baylor asked. The FRHS v. NDHS matches produced some classics as well as some good old intra-Catholic warfare, with the 1969 match btween then No. 1 NDHS and No. 2 FRHS, in the old gym down on Elliston Place being the standard bearer. Ryan won and went on to win its first state title. With the recent death of former Irish coach Nick Bratcher, three of the protagonists of the infamous (in NDHS Catholic memory) heavyweight match that day ( Bratcher, Drennan, Pez Whatley) are no longer with us. Maybe their spirits can move the Pope to get this match back on the agenda.

But back to the present, congratulations to this year's ND team on another A-AA championship. Two in a row for the Green Irish. They made BCB look like Nostradamus with his pick of his " beloved Green Irish" to win a close one earlier in this thread (I hestitate to mention what he actually looks like in a picture that Raider 76 posted under the Clarksville topic). Sounds like it was a thriller of a match.

Tough luck for Seymour, who has given great effort on both trips to the state. Their loss to FRA last year went down to wire just like their match with the Irish on Saturday. But they are young and should be back next year for another shot at it.

Let's put this one to rest.

Congrats to Seymour, we knew that the competiton all year would be from you guys and we were hoping that we could stay close. I thought it was by far the most exciting match of the tournament, with very loud and mostly supportive fans. I know that I talk to the large group sitting up front and they were sooo proud of their Eagles for the great season and the chance to win their 1st State title. So I will not judge your program on a couple of men who had 1 to many meetings, just as I hope the same can be said for our loyal fans. And since BigRedBlooded has annointed me the Godfather, I ask no negitive response from here on out from the Irish Nation

I told Coach McCroskey after the match that I personnally look forward to this rivalry for the next 6 years, and I think it will be just that. A wonderful competition bewteen two great schools.

So again let's not taint this match bewteen 28 children by throwing insults. Let's cheer their effort, and look foward to many more intense matches in the future.

Congrats again Seymour.

Let's Go Irish

bcb

Tommy Boone

QUOTE(BuckLateral @ Feb 5 2007 - 12:36 PM) 826359156[/snapback]

I agree with your sentiment cbq, but unfortunately I don't think we will ever see those days again now that ND has moved over to D-I. With FRHS in D-II, I don't see ND driving over for a match against a D-II opponent-------- recall the lengthly, emotional and sometimes irrational posts that were generated last year over Notre Dame dropping D-II Baylor from its schedule. They were not on it this season as well, though I'm told that Baylor asked. The FRHS v. NDHS matches produced some classics as well as some good old intra-Catholic warfare, with the 1969 match btween then No. 1 NDHS and No. 2 FRHS, in the old gym down on Elliston Place being the standard bearer. Ryan won and went on to win its first state title. With the recent death of former Irish coach Nick Bratcher, three of the protagonists of the infamous (in NDHS Catholic memory) heavyweight match that day ( Bratcher, Drennan, Pez Whatley) are no longer with us. Maybe their spirits can move the Pope to get this match back on the agenda.

But back to the present, congratulations to this year's ND team on another A-AA championship. Two in a row for the Green Irish. They made BCB look like Nostradamus with his pick of his " beloved Green Irish" to win a close one earlier in this thread (I hestitate to mention what he actually looks like in a picture that Raider 76 posted under the Clarksville topic). Sounds like it was a thriller of a match.

Tough luck for Seymour, who has given great effort on both trips to the state. Their loss to FRA last year went down to wire just like their match with the Irish on Saturday. But they are young and should be back next year for another shot at it.

It will happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will wrestle the other Irish and hopefully next year. I think the big hang-up was the Sunday afternoon time spot. Maybe a two for one,say throw in a MBA when we come up there and a Ooltewah when they come down here. have your people call my people

Buck, That dashing young man in Raider76 post was not I. I'm sure that if that was me,Sassylongandlean might have had a 2 by 4 upside the old cats head, plus he ain't got the legs to be me

QUOTE(bootnchove @ Feb 5 2007 - 12:03 PM) 826359103[/snapback]

ABUSIVE FANS:

Well said and thanks for putting things in a more positive attitude as they should be. Both teams did wrestle their hearts out and what more can you ask for. That was also the best turn out Seymour has ever had to cheer for the wrestling team since I have been a part of the program for 4 years. Good luck to both teams and hopefully we will meet again next year!!!

QUOTE(Seaglefan @ Feb 5 2007 - 01:00 PM) 826359264[/snapback]

Well said and thanks for putting things in a more positive attitude as they should be. Both teams did wrestle their hearts out and what more can you ask for.

I was not trying to disrespect the Seymour community, wrestlers or coaches. I thought the rest of their fans did a great job supporting their team.

I did not anticipate that the topic would go in this direction.

As I stated I was shocked at the two men I mentioned. If my son had been the opposing wrestler and he would have been injured, this would have infuriated me. Those men could have escalated the passion that one has over her cubs/pups/kids. The bottom line is that someone from their community/team etc. needs to tell them to stop the screams for bodily injury to children.

As I read on another post these men/man seam to have done this at other wrestling events. You would think that someone from the Seymour family would explain to these men that cheering for Billy to win is one thing. Screaming for him to do physical damage is other thing all together.