Ideal Girls Coach....

phx1best

QUOTE(ladynred @ Feb 9 2007 - 01:26 PM) 826365178[/snapback]

Yes, most of the girls do play AAU at Coffee County, Mr. Bush has been their coach for many years. He even won a State Championship with one particular group a few years back. (about 5 years ago, I think at Motlow) Having different Principals and Athletic Directors has nothing to do with the won loss record at Coffee County. I have been told the "System" Coach Scroggins brought to CC would soon dominate this district, especially since he now has the girls to run it. His first two years according to some local experts they didn't have the talent to run his "system." I think one local sports expert pedo even pretty much said that on this website. Well, the girls don't seem to be improving, 5th or 6th in the district, so is it the talent or the system? Good coaches adapt their systems to the players they have. Seems like when we supposedly had no talent we were 2nd or 3rd in the district with a much better won loss record. So, I don't know what to think. I applaud all the girls and pull for them each week. But let's not blame the principals, or the athletic director changes, they don't practice with the team, draw up any plays, or other strategies. I wish the girls good luck in the tournament, and hopefully, they can overcome the system.

Facts (with no disrespect to Mr. Bush, Pedo, & the CC coaches & players)

1) Summer 2000, AAU state champ in 17U - less than 12 teams played in that age group. Still a feat but most juniors play 16U & seniors play 18U.

2) Pedo is about 20 years old, I love his support but he knows no other coach than Scroggins at CC.

3) Tell me when CC had little talent & finished 2nd-3rd in the district & I will name you some players that went on to or at least signed with D-1 SEC schools from the last 10 years.

4) Please reply back & tell me what recent roster had the God given size, athleticism, ball-handling, & off season desire to play in a 1/2 court, set it up offense & an aggressive in your face, quickness & strength to box out & fight through screens defense. Yeah, thats what I thought.

Like I replied to 8675309...ask me how I know. Go CC hoops!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(85warrior @ Feb 9 2007 - 01:50 PM) 826365193[/snapback]

White Co. made it to the state. They were put out in the 1st round{biggest upset ever]. I would say White Co. gave CC fits. White beat

CC by 31 points 9 days before CC won state. CC may have the banner but lots know who the best in the state was that year.

He's a heck of a recruiter. I'll give him that.

Hey I hate to tell ya...but you said the magic words..CC brought the banner home...so by all fair measures...they were the best tennessee team in 93 AAA basketball

QUOTE(8675309 @ Feb 10 2007 - 01:12 PM) 826366276[/snapback]

Hey I hate to tell ya...but you said the magic words..CC brought the banner home...so by all fair measures...they were the best tennessee team in 93 AAA basketball

True.

However, Donaldson, and the players they had that year know for a FACT that they were not the best in the state that year.

QUOTE(fuzby @ Feb 9 2007 - 10:52 AM) 826364964[/snapback]

I understand where you are coming from. It is a lot easier said than done. The desire is not there. You try to get todays high school player into the gym morning , noon, and night & not just CC but just about every high school would have a hard time fielding a team. There are too many other things outside of hoops that the average high school athlete (yes, boys & girls) are too concerned with. many have jobs, transportation issues, classroom issues etc. Old school coaching approaches are going by way of the dinosaur. Parents hardly ever complained to administration about coaching policies in the 70's - 80's. Now every little thing is scrutinized like amount of time practicing, etc. & administrations have been bowing to individual pressures. Coaches don't want to have to be called in to the principal everytime a Momma calls school complaining that daughter is in the gym night & day & still doesn't start. The most successful teams today have God-given talent, size, & a few of those special gym rats. I haven't seen that at CC (any many other Dist. 8-3A schools other than shelbyville) If the players don't enter HS with decent skills & ability, a coach can't use practice time in season working on basic fundamentals (opposite hand, help side, pivots) & still try to put in a game plan in the 1& 1/2 to 2 hour practice time. Oh yeah weights too. Just being a realist. I still support the team 110%.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but when momma calls that's where your principals and AD have to help you. And coaches have to be just as willing as the players to get them in the gym. We all know how much time and effort great coaches put in. It's very important that coaches don't use practice time to work on fundamentals. That's where you have to have your players get into the gym more, if they don't want to, then they will either get over it or quit. If they can't come because they don't have a ride..go get them. It's been done, it's being done. Also most coaches would see that 1 and a half hours is usually plenty if you don't waste time. But I do agree with you to some extent. I also still support our team, but it doesn't mean I agree with everything that's being done, or not being done.

QUOTE(85warrior @ Feb 10 2007 - 03:41 PM) 826366426[/snapback]

True.

However, Donaldson, and the players they had that year know for a FACT that they were not the best in the state that year.

Well we got the banner!

QUOTE(8675309 @ Feb 10 2007 - 04:03 PM) 826366440[/snapback]

I agree with you to a certain extent, but when momma calls that's where your principals and AD have to help you. And coaches have to be just as willing as the players to get them in the gym. We all know how much time and effort great coaches put in. It's very important that coaches don't use practice time to work on fundamentals. That's where you have to have your players get into the gym more, if they don't want to, then they will either get over it or quit. If they can't come because they don't have a ride..go get them. It's been done, it's being done. Also most coaches would see that 1 and a half hours is usually plenty if you don't waste time. But I do agree with you to some extent. I also still support our team, but it doesn't mean I agree with everything that's being done, or not being done.

Well we got the banner!

True. But like I said, you didn't have the best team.