District Tournaments

JACKETDAD

In Reg. 2, Dist. 4, the teams that are currently ranked 6th and 7th have to play each other next week (Thursday) and only the winner of this game will compete in the District Tournament. Does anyone know if this is true? Are any other Districts doing the same thing? I'm referring to the Kingston Lady Jackets and the Anderson County Lady Mavs.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(worthyone @ Feb 9 2007 - 09:34 AM) 826364855[/snapback]

I think that's called a "district play-in game" ... meaning the winner will have to win another game to guarantee a region spot.

YEAH THAT'S WHAT IT IS -- THE SIXTH AND SEVENTH PLAY FIRST ---

ONE AND TWO GET A BYE ---

DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE RATIONALE BEHIND THIS --

IT SEEMS TO ME THE ONLY TEAM TRULY BENEFITING IS THE NUMBER TWO SEED -- WHO GETS AUTOMATIC BID TO THE REGION ----

NUMBER TWO SEED IS NO LONGER RISKING GETTING BEAT IN THE FIRST ROUND -- WHICH STATISTICALLY SPEAKING THEY TYPICALLY WIN OVER A SEVENTH SEED, BUT MIRACLES DO HAPPY

SO AGAIN -- WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??

QUOTE(hoops fan2 @ Feb 9 2007 - 12:31 PM) 826365006[/snapback]

SO AGAIN -- WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??

...I like the rule about the #1 & #2 getting a bye to the Region...they played during the Regular season and they are awarded...the only time it might have an issue is when the #2 & #3 seed have the same District record and it is determined by a coin flip...other than that as the 'ole sayin' goes>>>"That's the breaks"!!!

QUOTE(dukefan @ Feb 9 2007 - 02:25 PM) 826365256[/snapback]

Other districts have play in games as well. 7v 10 with the winner playing 2. 8v9 with winner playing 1. The regular season is important. When you have a 10 team district and you finish 1 or 2 after 18 regular season contests you have proven you should be in the region.

i respect your comments ---

but tell that to the three four and five teams -- who beat the one and two -- and just happen to fall in other places that season ---

i really don't think anybody deserves an automatic right to the region - but that's just my opinion --

the number one seed is the ncaa doesn't go directly to the final four ---

but again -- no one has answered my question

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?????

QUOTE(JACKETDAD @ Feb 9 2007 - 09:29 AM) 826364849[/snapback]

In Reg. 2, Dist. 4, the teams that are currently ranked 6th and 7th have to play each other next week (Thursday) and only the winner of this game will compete in the District Tournament. Does anyone know if this is true? Are any other Districts doing the same thing? I'm referring to the Kingston Lady Jackets and the Anderson County Lady Mavs.

7AA is doing the exact same thing my man. The last two teams as far as record goes play each other for the right to play in the tournament. I think this is fair. The regular season should mean something. The worst team in the district doesn't deserve to play in the District Tournament.

QUOTE(Lion15 @ Feb 9 2007 - 03:37 PM) 826365277[/snapback]

7AA is doing the exact same thing my man. The last two teams as far as record goes play each other for the right to play in the tournament. I think this is fair. The regular season should mean something. The worst team in the district doesn't deserve to play in the District Tournament.

Then why call it a "District Tournament"?? If each team in a District, isnt allowed to play in the actual district tournament, its simply a tournament to see who goes on to the Region. As for giving the top 2 teams a bye into the Region, thats crazy! Thats the purpose of the District Tournament, to decide which 4 teams go to the Region so they can make a run towards the state. Based on some of the previous post who believe the top two teams in a district automatically go to the Region, then just cancel all the tournaments except the actual State Championship. Just take the top two district teams from each district and send them to the boro. Oh I forgot, TSSAA has to get their money!!

QUOTE(JACKETDAD @ Feb 9 2007 - 03:48 PM) 826365293[/snapback]

Then why call it a "District Tournament"?? If each team in a District, isnt allowed to play in the actual district tournament, its simply a tournament to see who goes on to the Region. As for giving the top 2 teams a bye into the Region, thats crazy! Thats the purpose of the District Tournament, to decide which 4 teams go to the Region so they can make a run towards the state. Based on some of the previous post who believe the top two teams in a district automatically go to the Region, then just cancel all the tournaments except the actual State Championship. Just take the top two district teams from each district and send them to the boro. Oh I forgot, TSSAA has to get their money!!

Well then why don't you come up with a bracket where everybody has to play and its all even... Well let me tell you: You won't. Unless you have a round-robin, which would probably take two weeks, which means the T$$AA gets MORE $$$. So what you want contradicts what you are saying. If you want everyone to have to play for the region, more games will HAVE to be played, which means more money will be put into the T$$AA's pocket... A round-robin is the only thing that'll work if you want everyone to play in, and let me ask you something: Isn't the regular season two round-robins? Cause everyone plays everyone twice. So you want another round-robin, so lets just have everyone play each other 3 times in the regular season, and just take the top four in the standings to Regions, and do away with Districts... And another thing, the distict brackets aren't determined by the T$$AA. They are made up at the coaches meeting. So if you want to gripe at someone about the brackets, you should gripe to your daughter's coach.

QUOTE(JACKETDAD @ Feb 9 2007 - 10:29 AM) 826364849[/snapback]

Yes. In districts with only five teams, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place are garunted a spot in the regions. 4th and 5th play in a play in game. Winner of that gets to regions. Then they play a bracket format for seedings in the regions.

QUOTE(Rangerbook06 @ Feb 9 2007 - 04:12 PM) 826365325[/snapback]

Yes. In districts with only five teams, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place are garunted a spot in the regions. 4th and 5th play in a play in game. Winner of that gets to regions. Then they play a bracket format for seedings in the regions.

Why not give a bye in District Tournaments to the higher seeded teams, which would allow the last place team to at least compete in the district tournament? Its not about whether or not a last place seeded team in the district would beat anyone, its about the Opportunity!

QUOTE(JACKETDAD @ Feb 9 2007 - 02:48 PM) 826365293[/snapback]

Come on now you don't honestly think that if your team finishes last in the district that they will make past maybe two games do you? Be sensible, the brackets will never satisfy anyone completely, so if this is what TSSAA decides to do then just roll with it. This also puts more meaning in the season.