District 7-AAA

rhs1234

QUOTE(olandpats @ Apr 8 2007 - 05:26 PM) 826432506[/snapback]steve heath so pro riverdale it aint even rite.

still yammin bout aml & the bball team.

After looking at today's DNJ I see your point. But another example of Gannett's involvement. Easier doing pieces that are not 'time sensitive' and can be prepared in advance with their tighter deadlines than covering live events that may or may not end in time to make the morning paper.... And it isn't just sports.. Watch the news and you will see the same thing...

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some kind of coverage would be nice I don't care who gets it!!!!!!! If i didn't know better i would think that all the track programs had been cut. This isn't a riverdale, oakland, siegel, or blackman thing its a Boro thing!!!!!!! Boo DNJ!!!!! I think everyone should bombard them with complaints!!!!!!Phone calls emails letters what ever!!!!!! I've sent emails to several at the dnj...not just the sports people either.

QUOTE(olandpats @ Apr 8 2007 - 05:26 PM) 826432506[/snapback]steve heath so pro riverdale it aint even rite.

still yammin bout aml & the bball team.

In his defense....When I was at oakland, stinnett traveled with us. every tournament!!! Millington, Pensacola, every game....but it was just Riverdale and Oakland. And it was kind of a trade off----Riverdale got the football we got baseball

I played for Stinnet and Cecil Joyce, back in the old Babe Ruth days. These two used to cover the prep sports and they used to tell us that whoever is winning will get the most coverage. It is what it is. The complaining over one team getting more coverage is nothing new and will always go on. Obviously they don't have enough writers to be everywhere. Personally, I think Steve does a pretty good job of doing what he does with as much on his plate as has. Either way, it does get old seeing MTSU football spring practice or any offseason sport on the front page and MTSU baseball and other spring sports getting barely a mention on the 3rd or 5th page. What the high schools get now is equal to what the old little league write-ups used to be, for those that might remember, with the exception of the games that have a writer present.

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Apr 8 2007 - 07:58 PM) 826432624[/snapback]Some kind of coverage would be nice I don't care who gets it!!!!!!! If i didn't know better i would think that all the track programs had been cut. This isn't a riverdale, oakland, siegel, or blackman thing its a Boro thing!!!!!!! Boo DNJ!!!!! I think everyone should bombard them with complaints!!!!!!Phone calls emails letters what ever!!!!!! I've sent emails to several at the dnj...not just the sports people either.

Call Pogue

In the past, they assigned a writer to each school and they were responsible for covering all the sports. I remember Steve Heath used to be at Smyrna and then was sent to Riverdale . Stinnett was assigned to Oakland until he got sent to the colleges and higher. I think Heath believes he is still supposed to cover one school.

QUOTE(2priceless @ Apr 8 2007 - 08:41 PM) 826432654[/snapback]In the past, they assigned a writer to each school and they were responsible for covering all the sports. I remember Steve Heath used to be at Smyrna and then was sent to Riverdale . Stinnett was assigned to Oakland until he got sent to the colleges and higher. I think Heath believes he is still supposed to cover one school.

DNJ will be at the big game this week! After the show down guess who will get the most press. That's right! The winner. If they split then Blackaman and siegel get their 10% back.

QUOTE(wingman10 @ Apr 8 2007 - 08:40 PM) 826432653[/snapback]Call Pogue

In May of last year I sent this letter-to-the-editor to the DNJ - it was never printed for some reason:

Dear Editor/Publisher,

As several writers have eloquently noted, our local paper’s quality and timeliness has seemed to diminish in the past several weeks.

I understand my local paper no longer having its own printing press is a major factor in this change. A local paper not having its

own printing press just amazes me. Dutton Peabody, the Editor of the Shinbone Star, had his own printing press!

With apologies in advance to my GREAT English teacher at Smyrna High School, Mrs. Tyler, please allow me to ‘conjugate the noun’

NewsPaper. It contains the adjective NEWS and the noun PAPER. Let’s take a closer look at that adjective and noun. First, the

adjective NEWS. With what seems to be a deadline now of around 8:00pm or so, the PAPER that arrives the next morning seems to be

lacking a lot of NEWS (and Sports for that matter – a lot of games START around 7:00pm or so…) If a NEWS story takes place on a

Monday around 8:30pm or so (a gunfight in a local bar, a large zeppelin crashing into our courthouse or a cholera outbreak) it

won’t be in our local paper’s headlines until Wednesday morning. (At least our local paper will never have a “Dewey Wins! headline.)

As a ‘workaround’, it seems the DNJ’s ‘answer’ is to put ‘late news and sports’ on their web-page. That gets us to the noun PAPER.

Isn’t that what you get in your driveway each morning or pick up to read on your way to the office? A newsPAPER? And don’t you

make that purchase to read things like what happened the night before or how M.T.S.U. or your local high school (years ago,

even little league) team did the night before?

May I suggest our local paper goes back to an afternoon edition? That may give our great local writers a chance to get their work

into our local paper in a timely manner. Or better yet, get them a printing press so they can see their fine work on the media it

is intended for, PAPER. (I don’t think the price of our local paper went down with all the savings it may be trying to accomplish

by not having their own printing press?)

David Limbaugh

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 9 2007 - 12:43 PM) 826433069[/snapback]In May of last year I sent this letter-to-the-editor to the DNJ - it was never printed for some reason:

Dear Editor/Publisher,

As several writers have eloquently noted, our local paper’s quality and timeliness has seemed to diminish in the past several weeks.

I understand my local paper no longer having its own printing press is a major factor in this change. A local paper not having its

own printing press just amazes me. Dutton Peabody, the Editor of the Shinbone Star, had his own printing press!

With apologies in advance to my GREAT English teacher at Smyrna High School, Mrs. Tyler, please allow me to ‘conjugate the noun’

NewsPaper. It contains the adjective NEWS and the noun PAPER. Let’s take a closer look at that adjective and noun. First, the

adjective NEWS. With what seems to be a deadline now of around 8:00pm or so, the PAPER that arrives the next morning seems to be

lacking a lot of NEWS (and Sports for that matter – a lot of games START around 7:00pm or so…) If a NEWS story takes place on a

Monday around 8:30pm or so (a gunfight in a local bar, a large zeppelin crashing into our courthouse or a cholera outbreak) it

won’t be in our local paper’s headlines until Wednesday morning. (At least our local paper will never have a “Dewey Wins! headline.)

As a ‘workaround’, it seems the DNJ’s ‘answer’ is to put ‘late news and sports’ on their web-page. That gets us to the noun PAPER.

Isn’t that what you get in your driveway each morning or pick up to read on your way to the office? A newsPAPER? And don’t you

make that purchase to read things like what happened the night before or how M.T.S.U. or your local high school (years ago,

even little league) team did the night before?

May I suggest our local paper goes back to an afternoon edition? That may give our great local writers a chance to get their work

into our local paper in a timely manner. Or better yet, get them a printing press so they can see their fine work on the media it

is intended for, PAPER. (I don’t think the price of our local paper went down with all the savings it may be trying to accomplish

by not having their own printing press?)

David Limbaugh

can we all copy that letter and attach our names to it and all of us send it in until they print it?

Just sent an email to the dnj: hale@dnj.com, boclair@dnj.com, jhastings@dnj.com, sheath@dnj.com, pogue@dnj.com, sparks@dnj.com . It got sent to all these guys if you live in Rutherford county i suggest the same. her's my letter:

I am an Oakland graduate (2000) and former athlete and I am writing this letter to express my utter disappointment in the lack of prep coverage by our "local" newspaper. Please if one of you can give me a reason, not an excuse, why there is not a prep story EVERYDAY in the paper it would be appreciated!!! You may remember the schools: Oakland, Riverdale, Blackman, siegel, Smyrna, LaVergne, MTCS, and Eagleville. You mean to tell me that there is absolutely nothing to write about any athlete at any of these schools? This "newspaper" could have written articles about each school today, not the cheesy blips at the bottom but actual articles! Monday's sports section was laughable, except for MTSU's baseball coverage. People want to read about there local stars! Did you know that Oakland is 23-1? Did you know that Riverdale has won the district 6 straight years and has a pretty hefty district winning streak? I'm not here to complain about who gets the coverage. Thats because there hasn't been any!!!! Did you know that the school board approved a motion to name Oakland's gym after coach King??? Where are the write ups?

Even if there were write ups they would be full of errors. During the football season anytime that I looked at an Oakland article, which was every week, i would find stats or quotes from Andrew McGowan that were really from Michael McGowan and vise versa. Mr. Heath this was brought to your attention several times and you said you would fix it. You never did.

Each and every one of you are cheating these kids out of an opportunity to follow there own high school careers in their hometown paper. May I suggest that something is done quickly about this issue before the Murfreesboro Post jumps all over this opportunity to cover local news.

Thank You

Stephen McGowan