top players

wing-T-01

QUOTE(cherokeemgr @ Mar 21 2007 - 07:09 PM) 826419702[/snapback]This statement is not justified and I really hate to dignify it with a response.

Any coach out there want a player that hits 400 plus with 5 home runs last year and was key part of a state championship team?

Double Play...you must be holding a grudge or are extremely jelous for some reason........please keep all of your comments to your self in the future if you do not want to be positive.

thanks

Where is Stone ranked in the class of 2008? I understand that Joseph (Franklin/Franklin Summer Team) & Goble (Father Ryan/Hit after Hit) both play the MIF and are considered top prospects nationaly in the class of 2008.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cbg @ Mar 21 2007 - 04:13 PM) 826419595[/snapback]The first thing that I would like to ask is if you are a professional scout? The scouts make a living selecting the top high school & college prospects for the MLB clubs. Yes, they miss on some of the players but they are correct more times than they are wrong. Navery was selected as the top prospect in the United States for the class of 2008 but they update the rankings two or three times each year and Navery's ranking may or may not change. The MLB scouts have to project where the player will be in three to five years and Navery's body is much larger and stronger than Sonny's and that could have something to do with his lofty ranking but you still must have tons of talent to be ranked.

Do you know if Sonny is ranked in the top 250 for the class of 2008?

Is Sonny going to focus on football or baseball after high school?

cbq,

You're exactly right. Scouts aren't interested in high school stars that can only be stars in high school. (I am not referring to Sonny. I don't doubt that he can go on.) But the average sized 88-90 mph pitcher is often overlooked for the 6'5" 80 mph picher with "potential". (I've seen it first hand. A Braves scout told me that if the kid wasn't at least 6 foot, he wouldn't get a much of a look.) Seems like a lot of wasted talent to me.

Unfortunately, I guess size does matter.

QUOTE(cbg @ Mar 21 2007 - 09:14 PM) 826419931[/snapback]Where is Stone ranked in the class of 2008? I understand that Joseph (Franklin/Franklin Summer Team) & Goble (Father Ryan/Hit after Hit) both play the MIF and are considered top prospects nationaly in the class of 2008.

I was not arguing that Stone is or is not a top player....but I did want to take exception to Double Play's comments....Double Play's comments are not true and he should be held accountable.

and.....

I'm not sure where Stone is ranked but if an invite to the prestigous East Coast Showcase from the NY Yankees is any indication, he must have something to offer.

Thank you.

QUOTE(In10city @ Mar 21 2007 - 11:43 PM) 826420010[/snapback]cbq,

You're exactly right. Scouts aren't interested in high school stars that can only be stars in high school. (I am not referring to Sonny. I don't doubt that he can go on.) But the average sized 88-90 mph pitcher is often overlooked for the 6'5" 80 mph picher with "potential". (I've seen it first hand. A Braves scout told me that if the kid wasn't at least 6 foot, he wouldn't get a much of a look.) Seems like a lot of wasted talent to me.

Unfortunately, I guess size does matter.

Scouts look for various things and those things run in cycles. I spoke with a MLB skipper last month and he told me that we are in a period of change with clubs wanting big players. Most of the progressive teams understand that with the drug testing that is taking place players will not be as large as they once were and teams have started to take a closer look at position players that may be smaller but have better skills. However, they are all still wanting the RHP to be big and strong where as the LHP can be a little smaller. If you are in high school and are 6'3"+ (LHP) and can hit 85+ on a consistent basis you have a good opportunity to make alot of money.

QUOTE(cherokeemgr @ Mar 22 2007 - 09:55 AM) 826420134[/snapback]I was not arguing that Stone is or is not a top player....but I did want to take exception to Double Play's comments....Double Play's comments are not true and he should be held accountable.

and.....

I'm not sure where Stone is ranked but if an invite to the prestigous East Coast Showcase from the NY Yankees is any indication, he must have something to offer.

Thank you.

An East Coast Showcase invite does indicate some interest at some level. All MLB organizations will be represented plus scores of college coaches. Good luck!

QUOTE(TheOldScout @ Mar 22 2007 - 09:11 AM) 826420150[/snapback]To get an invite to the Showcase, Stone must be a good prospect only the best get the invite.

Very ture! Is it as a position player or pitcher?

I was told that Joseph & Goble have also received an invitation. That is a great positon for all 3 of these players to be in.

QUOTE(cbg @ Mar 22 2007 - 09:03 AM) 826420146[/snapback]Scouts look for various things and those things run in cycles. I spoke with a MLB skipper last month and he told me that we are in a period of change with clubs wanting big players. Most of the progressive teams understand that with the drug testing that is taking place players will not be as large as they once were and teams have started to take a closer look at position players that may be smaller but have better skills. However, they are all still wanting the RHP to be big and strong where as the LHP can be a little smaller. If you are in high school and are 6'3"+ (LHP) and can hit 85+ on a consistent basis you have a good opportunity to make alot of money.

I understand what your saying.. but Sonny isn't just some small ball player.. Yes Navery is a little bigger but size shouldnt matter when the kid is hitting 96m.p.h. fastball.. I have seen Navery pitch and im not downing him at all because he will be a star but think last year (Sonny Soph. year) he went to Oklahoma with team TN and went 3-0 and was named one of the all Tourney players.. I mean if Navery is the top prospect in the nation where was he.. I would take Sonny anyday but No matter what they are both heck of players and boy in the Summer when they are on the same team ha ha what more can you ask for...

QUOTE(Live4FridayNite615 @ Mar 22 2007 - 10:40 AM) 826420243[/snapback]I understand what your saying.. but Sonny isn't just some small ball player.. Yes Navery is a little bigger but size shouldnt matter when the kid is hitting 96m.p.h. fastball.. I have seen Navery pitch and im not downing him at all because he will be a star but think last year (Sonny Soph. year) he went to Oklahoma with team TN and went 3-0 and was named one of the all Tourney players.. I mean if Navery is the top prospect in the nation where was he.. I would take Sonny anyday but No matter what they are both heck of players and boy in the Summer when they are on the same team ha ha what more can you ask for...

Navery didn't go because he was a closer last year for a deep pitching staff. He only threw about 25-30 innings. Navery topped out about 93-94 in the state tourney last year as a Soph. He throws every bit of mid 90's now and has a more projectible off-speed pitch when it is on. It is all about upside and Navery has more upside because he has not peekeed physically like Sonny has. Remember this as well, Navery could just be a soph. this year because of where his birthday falls. He won't be 17 untill into the summer and will be 17 when the '08 draft comes around. Sonny will go between the 10th and 20th because he is small and will sign with Vandy and Navery will go in the 1st to 3rd because he has a body to grow into and won't sign with a college. All factors make a big difference in a "prospect"