who goes to state in A

always a dawg

QUOTE(outasight @ Apr 12 2007 - 07:44 PM) 826436204[/snapback]I don't think Friendship is a lock for State! Nothing against Friendship Christian, but according to FCA's schedule--Columbia Academy has beaten them twice (with a "very young" CA team). No one should come close to Trinity.

TCA should have a much easier route this year, due to the overrall competition in "A" being down! They basically have the same team that was fortunate enough to be handed the state title last year. Most of the teams that were powerful last year (Columbia Academy, Summertown, Forrest, etc.) are "very young" this year. Cornersville is no exception. There are several teams capable of beating larger schools when their game is on--including all of the above mentioned (as evidenced by each of their schedules)--but most of TCA's potential rivals at State are young, make mistakes often, and prone to lose games they shouldn't (and have).

TCA's district/region virtually assures them a pass to state tournament. The majority of their team plays club ball, which is an obvious plus. Whichever other team makes it to face them, will be a young team that manages to make the fewest errors enroute through the play-off process. It could be one of a handful. Other than TCA, there is no other stand-out team that is likely, at this point.

It should be easy for them to repeat. It's TCA's to lose!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is it you get that Trinity was handed the championship? The girls worked hard for it and earned it on the field. They alson have a young team this year with only two seniors. Every one is picking them to make it back to state but the girls know you still have to win games on the field. They are taking each game one at a time and not taking any team for granted. Anytime you win a championship it makes you a marked team. There are plenty of good teams out there who can win state and the Trinity softball team will try their best to repeat. Good Luck to all teams and GO LIONS.

QUOTE(orange27 @ Apr 13 2007 - 09:47 AM) 826436621[/snapback]First of all, the only reason that Columbia Academy beat Friendship the second time was because of two bad calls by the umpire (who was the father of last year's star pitcher at CA). Two illegal pitches were called in the 6th inning when the score was tied, and that was how the winning runs scored. Second of all, Friendship has beaten some big schools, including Beech, Father Ryan (twice), Ravenwood, and East Robertson. Friendship also has something that most teams do NOT have. They have amazing softball players, who give a hundred percent all the time and come up big in big games. They want it badly, and if they play like they are capable, they can beat anyone... Yesterday they pounded out 16 hits against Gordonsville, including two homeruns (one over the scoreboard), 8 doubles, and 14 runs. When is comes down to who is going to win state, it's who has got in their heart and wants it bad enough, and I believe Friendship girls want it. We will SEE YOU THERE... /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Don't get angry! However, you are incorrect on your statement about the umpire. Last years pitcher's (for C.A.) dad has never umpired a game in his life, nor was he present at the game or even in the state of Tennessee.

Friendship's pitcher had been warned about the illegal pitch prior to it being called. If I'm not mistaken, Friendship did not have a hit in the game, and got on base w/an error. C.A. did string together some hits, which resulted in the win.

The umpires cannot be blamed for your loss. There were just as many calls missed against C.A. including a pick-off of your one runner that did manage to get on (that was missed by a bad call).

Yes, Friendship is capable of making it to State -- just like the other teams mentioned in original quote...but it's not just about which team "wants it"; it is about the team that manages to make the fewest errors and put together runs. For you to say, "Friendship, enough said" is a stretch!

QUOTE(liondef4 @ Apr 13 2007 - 01:51 PM) 826436881[/snapback]Where is it you get that Trinity was handed the championship? The girls worked hard for it and earned it on the field. They alson have a young team this year with only two seniors. Every one is picking them to make it back to state but the girls know you still have to win games on the field. They are taking each game one at a time and not taking any team for granted. Anytime you win a championship it makes you a marked team. There are plenty of good teams out there who can win state and the Trinity softball team will try their best to repeat. Good Luck to all teams and GO LIONS.

First of all, RESPECTFULLY, no one can take the state title from TCA. They walked out w/the trophy. However, anyone that was present (assuming you were) witnessed a major choke by CA. TCA's team/parents were packing up. The game was one out and one pitch from being over CA-1/TCA-0 (at that point, TCA hadn't even registered a hit). The hit that became a homerun for TCA should have been caught, "but wasn't" so the game was then tied. The next four batters put the ball in routine play to the CA infield - who booted all of them which resulted in TCA's victory. At CA's next bat, a true homerun was hit by the Catcher, "but ruled out" when TCA's centerfielder ran through the temporary fences and caught it behind the field of play. Should have been ruled homerun (verified after game by plate umpire), but when call was missed--CA was cooked. To win the championship, everything lined up...ball in play, costly errors, controversial call, and a little luck. That is part of the game! CA learned a valuable lesson...by losing focus, you can hand over a championship-even though you've outhit a team-twice. . TCA was the winner and state champion, and DESERVED IT because the score had them ahead at the end, but honestly TCA was VERY FORTUNATE that day.

With that said, this year is TCA's to lose. Reason: They did not lose much of their team to graduation. Most of the serious competition last year did. TCA still has to beat out the competition to repeat...but, that should not be a problem this year. There simply is not the competition this year across the board from the teams that posed a threat last year, and "no other" stand-out team with TCA's talent level.

QUOTE(tnfisher @ Apr 13 2007 - 09:06 AM) 826436528[/snapback]How dare you ask such a question!! Don't you know all the private numbers were multiplied so they wouldn't dominate 1A anymore. What?? You mean they are still winning in 1A. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Seriously, it really looks like it is TCA's to lose. They are that good. However, in my opinion the best competition for state tourney births will come from Regions 5 and 6. There ought to be some great region and sectional games involving CA, Cornersville, Summertown, Collinwood, Forrest, Cascade, and East Robertson. I'm not sure any of those teams can compete with with TCA for the title but whoever makes it thru will have had to earn their way to the tourney. I know there are other good teams out there like Huntingdon, FCA, and Whitwell. The middle just seems more loaded than the other ends of the state, even after the departure of most of the Nashville private schools. Again, just my biased opionion based on scores and past results.

Who cares about multipliers and numbers, fact is all private schools recruit and any kid who wants to go to that school and can afford it or get "financial aid" can go there. Public schools do not have the option of buying players, They simply have to pick from what is roaming in the halls. Their kids have to be zoned to go there, they do not have the option of picking and choosing their schools. Small private schools should have their own division just like larger private schools.

QUOTE(outasight @ Apr 16 2007 - 09:06 AM) 826438456[/snapback]First of all, RESPECTFULLY, no one can take the state title from TCA. They walked out w/the trophy. However, anyone that was present (assuming you were) witnessed a major choke by CA. TCA's team/parents were packing up. The game was one out and one pitch from being over CA-1/TCA-0 (at that point, TCA hadn't even registered a hit). The hit that became a homerun for TCA should have been caught, "but wasn't" so the game was then tied. The next four batters put the ball in routine play to the CA infield - who booted all of them which resulted in TCA's victory. At CA's next bat, a true homerun was hit by the Catcher, "but ruled out" when TCA's centerfielder ran through the temporary fences and caught it behind the field of play. Should have been ruled homerun (verified after game by plate umpire), but when call was missed--CA was cooked. To win the championship, everything lined up...ball in play, costly errors, controversial call, and a little luck. That is part of the game! CA learned a valuable lesson...by losing focus, you can hand over a championship-even though you've outhit a team-twice. . TCA was the winner and state champion, and DESERVED IT because the score had them ahead at the end, but honestly TCA was VERY FORTUNATE that day.

With that said, this year is TCA's to lose. Reason: They did not lose much of their team to graduation. Most of the serious competition last year did. TCA still has to beat out the competition to repeat...but, that should not be a problem this year. There simply is not the competition this year across the board from the teams that posed a threat last year, and "no other" stand-out team with TCA's talent level.

I just thought I would add that according to the official stats on TSSAA, TCA outhit CA all three games they played them. If it wasn't a homerun by Ivy, then it was at least a double and then they followed that with more hits to produce more runs. Secondly, Shelby's "homerun" would have only made the score 4-2. I was there, and both of those calls were hard to make. The difference was that the TCA ball player caught the ball going out, and CA didn't. One umpire saw it one way, and another one saw it differently. I'm glad you say that they deserved it because they did. You have to make the plays when you need them. As far as fortunate, it's more a case of preparation meeting opportunity. Plus, I can honestly say TCA's players know that it's a new year, and they have to get it done this year as well. I'll just be glad when all this speculation can end, and we can all enjoy softball.

QUOTE(outasight @ Apr 16 2007 - 09:06 AM) 826438456[/snapback]First of all, RESPECTFULLY, no one can take the state title from TCA. They walked out w/the trophy. However, anyone that was present (assuming you were) witnessed a major choke by CA. TCA's team/parents were packing up. The game was one out and one pitch from being over CA-1/TCA-0 (at that point, TCA hadn't even registered a hit). The hit that became a homerun for TCA should have been caught, "but wasn't" so the game was then tied. The next four batters put the ball in routine play to the CA infield - who booted all of them which resulted in TCA's victory. At CA's next bat, a true homerun was hit by the Catcher, "but ruled out" when TCA's centerfielder ran through the temporary fences and caught it behind the field of play. Should have been ruled homerun (verified after game by plate umpire), but when call was missed--CA was cooked. To win the championship, everything lined up...ball in play, costly errors, controversial call, and a little luck. That is part of the game! CA learned a valuable lesson...by losing focus, you can hand over a championship-even though you've outhit a team-twice. . TCA was the winner and state champion, and DESERVED IT because the score had them ahead at the end, but honestly TCA was VERY FORTUNATE that day.

Yes I was at the game. No tca parents didn't pack up early. Ivy was the second hitter in the inning so there was only one out.

QUOTE(spojo20 @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:42 AM) 826438534[/snapback]I just thought I would add that according to the official stats on TSSAA, TCA outhit CA all three games they played them. If it wasn't a homerun by Ivy, then it was at least a double and then they followed that with more hits to produce more runs. Secondly, Shelby's "homerun" would have only made the score 4-2. I was there, and both of those calls were hard to make. The difference was that the TCA ball player caught the ball going out, and CA didn't. One umpire saw it one way, and another one saw it differently. I'm glad you say that they deserved it because they did. You have to make the plays when you need them. As far as fortunate, it's more a case of preparation meeting opportunity. Plus, I can honestly say TCA's players know that it's a new year, and they have to get it done this year as well. I'll just be glad when all this speculation can end, and we can all enjoy softball.

You basically agreed w/everything I said earlier. TCA "put the ball in play"; CA did not make the routine plays. Good Luck to TCA again this year.

QUOTE(outasight @ Apr 17 2007 - 08:55 AM) 826439251[/snapback]You basically agreed w/everything I said earlier. TCA "put the ball in play"; CA did not make the routine plays. Good Luck to TCA again this year.

You need to check the offical scoring on the tssaa website. In the 7th inning for tca they had 4 runs on six hits and one error.