NEW BOOK BY E5 AND REDSMAN

REDSMAN

QUOTE(E5 @ Feb 23 2007 - 02:50 PM) 826386194[/snapback]Here is my new problem. We start our pitchers on our 300 pitch bullpens the second day of practice. You know the one where we throw 100 hard sliders, 100 sharp breaking balls, 25 fork balls, 25 "hard as you cans," and 50 of your best fourth pitch. We starting getting knots on the elbows the size of an orange. I thought it was a riser or boil, so we got the nail drag out and tried to lance it and find a leech to stink the puss out. Well it had no puss in it. So we taped it up and sprayed Nitrotan on it and put a salve of witch hazel, Blue Emu, Icy Hot, Absorbine Jr., Ben Gay, and moist Copenhagen with Jack Daniels in it. Well we repeat that pen two days later and they say they still are having problems. The logical next step is either Novacaine or Horse Linament (DMSO)...do you know hard it is to get that stuff now? You would think I was trying to buy radioactive elements. What do I do now? I really feel the problem lies with the summer league coach who limits his pitchers to 21 innings per weekend. This pitch count is costing me the pre-season playday championship again this year.

Sorry its taken me so long to answer E5, hope the damage is minimal. Been at a volleyball tourney this weekend in Huntsville, dang if I knew they were gonna use leather balls with air in them. We have been practicing with our medicine ball during the offseason. Needless to say, we had to hire a roofer to fix a few holes in the roof before they made us quit and go home....anyways, as for the swollen elbow. If you will take a toilet plunger and apply to the pitcher's off elbow, give it three or four good pulls, the swelling in his pitching elbow will go down....something to do with blood distribution, but that's for another class. Hope I'm not too late.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Old Timer @ Feb 25 2007 - 07:45 PM) 826389162[/snapback]Sorry its taken me so long to answer E5, hope the damage is minimal. Been at a volleyball tourney this weekend in Huntsville, dang if I knew they were gonna use leather balls with air in them. We have been practicing with our medicine ball during the offseason. Needless to say, we had to hire a roofer to fix a few holes in the roof before they made us quit and go home....anyways, as for the swollen elbow. If you will take a toilet plunger and apply to the pitcher's off elbow, give it three or four good pulls, the swelling in his pitching elbow will go down....something to do with blood distribution, but that's for another class. Hope I'm not too late.

Sometimes, it's the simple things that make all the sense. Bad news is the nail drag wounds have now got infected and the leeches are all dead. Someone mentioned this new-fangeld thing called antibiotics...don't know about all that fancy stuff. Do you think the plunger could stink out all of the infection? What do you think about the 300 pitch bullpens every other day?

QUOTE(E5 @ Feb 25 2007 - 09:20 PM) 826389293[/snapback]Sometimes, it's the simple things that make all the sense. Bad news is the nail drag wounds have now got infected and the leeches are all dead. Someone mentioned this new-fangeld thing called antibiotics...don't know about all that fancy stuff. Do you think the plunger could stink out all of the infection? What do you think about the 300 pitch bullpens every other day?

Hey E5,

There is a question on your etiquette thread about blind umpires with seeing eye dogs that ump in their boys district you haven't responded to yet. Will the book include a section on that?

QUOTE(E5 @ Feb 25 2007 - 09:20 PM) 826389293[/snapback]Sometimes, it's the simple things that make all the sense. Bad news is the nail drag wounds have now got infected and the leeches are all dead. Someone mentioned this new-fangeld thing called antibiotics...don't know about all that fancy stuff. Do you think the plunger could stink out all of the infection? What do you think about the 300 pitch bullpens every other day?

We tried the 300 pitch bullpen with our "Challenger" team in Mt. Juliet a few years back. We found that it gave an unfair advantage to our opponent because in addition to the beeping sound of the ball, they could also hone in on the sound of the pitcher grunting each time he tried to throw the ball. It also resulted in our pitchers having to throw underhand since they could no longer lift their arm over their head. We later switched to a program developed by a former HS coach in the area who had his players practice at 5:30 AM. They found that throwing in the dark and the fog led to throwing fewer pitches, resulting in fresher arms, but sometimes resulting in more injuries for their LH hindcatchers.

QUOTE(Homerun King @ Feb 26 2007 - 09:07 AM) 826389769[/snapback]We tried the 300 pitch bullpen with our "Challenger" team in Mt. Juliet a few years back. We found that it gave an unfair advantage to our opponent because in addition to the beeping sound of the ball, they could also hone in on the sound of the pitcher grunting each time he tried to throw the ball. It also resulted in our pitchers having to throw underhand since they could no longer lift their arm over their head. We later switched to a program developed by a former HS coach in the area who had his players practice at 5:30 AM. They found that throwing in the dark and the fog led to throwing fewer pitches, resulting in fresher arms, but sometimes resulting in more injuries for their LH hindcatchers.

Did the moisture from the fog help lubricate the elbow and shoulder? If it did, I would think a pair of night vision gargles for your hindcatcher could solve get hit in the head. If you have not heard, our LH hindcatcher is now at second working on a modified blind spin, turn, and throw on the DP. We lost to the Police Academy at Gum Log this weekend but only made 6 errors and he only had 4 of them in a 5 inning game. Someone told me Vandy was on him pretty hard...dad was a great HVAC man and Vandy sees some potential.

QUOTE(E5 @ Feb 26 2007 - 09:26 AM) 826389804[/snapback]Did the moisture from the fog help lubricate the elbow and shoulder? If it did, I would think a pair of night vision gargles for your hindcatcher could solve get hit in the head. If you have not heard, our LH hindcatcher is now at second working on a modified blind spin, turn, and throw on the DP. We lost to the Police Academy at Gum Log this weekend but only made 6 errors and he only had 4 of them in a 5 inning game. Someone told me Vandy was on him pretty hard...dad was a great HVAC man and Vandy sees some potential.

I hadn't thought about the night vision gargles! My boy Raymond tried some safety gargles once, but he thought he could drive like that Mario Andruzzi and it caused him to ruin our neighbors custom mailbox. You know, the kind that looks like a big mouth bass from the Bass Pro Shop. We had to ditch the early AM pitching practice any way. It seems the asphalt is just too slippery that early and we ran out of knee braces for all of the pulled tendons we were getting, plus the flat ground throwing in the parking messed up our boys ability to get the ball to the plate when we put them back on the mound. We thought about trying a relay man but we didn't think TSSAA would allow for such.

E5,

NIGHT VISION GARGLES WILL WORK, BUT I WOULD NOT TRY THOSE NEW COLORED LENSES BY NIKE. I BOUGHT MY CORNER INFIELDERS SOME OF THE ONES THAT LOOK LIKE CATS EYE. DIDNT IMPROVE OUR QUICKNESS OR VISION, BUT OUR PLAYERS DID SAVE TIME BY PEEING IN THE SAND BY THE FOUL LINE INSTEAD OF GOING TO THE BATHROOM IN THE CIVIC CENTER ACROSS THE STREET.

NOW FOR YOUR PROBLEMS WITH THE ELBOWS, THIS IS WHAT WE DID.... WE ELIMINATE THE ELBOW ALTOGETHER. YOU KNOW THE LEG BRACES FORREST GUMP WORE AS BOY? WE FOUND 10 PAIR OF 'EM FOR SALE AT THE HERMITAGE SPRINGS HEALTH DEPT, YOU KNOW THE ONE LOCATED IN THE BACK OF THE FRED'S STORE? ANYWAY, OUR PITCHERS SLIDE THOSE ON THE THROWING ARM - LOCKING THE ELBOW IN A PLUM STRAIGHT POSITION. REMEMBER, THE ELBOW MUST BE IN A STOVE - UP POSITION.

OUR PITCHER SIMPLY SLING THE BALL OVERHEAD OR DIRECTLY SIDE-STIFF-ARM. WE GET GOOD LIFE ON THE BALL, SORT OF LIKE A ROCK SKIPPING ACROSS THE POND. THE DOWNSIDE IS, HITTERS ONLY NEED LOOK FOR TWO RELEASE POINTS.

I JUST GOT TO THINKING ABOUT IT AFTER WATCHING YOUR IRON MIKE AT THIRD BASE. HOW MANY THROWS DID HE MAKE W/O COMPLAINING? ONLY THING HE EVER NEEDED WAS A LITTLE GREASE AND 3:1 OIL. OUR PITCHERS ARE NOW THROWING AT LEAST 4 STARTS PER WEEK, AT ABOUT 210-245 PITCHES PER START. ONLY THING WE WORRY ABOUT IS LITTLE MUSCLE PAIN IN THE KIDNEY AREA. BUT HEY, EVERYBODY GETS DOWN IN THE BACK ONCE IN A WHILE.

QUOTE(E5 @ Feb 26 2007 - 09:26 AM) 826389804[/snapback]Did the moisture from the fog help lubricate the elbow and shoulder? If it did, I would think a pair of night vision gargles for your hindcatcher could solve get hit in the head. If you have not heard, our LH hindcatcher is now at second working on a modified blind spin, turn, and throw on the DP. We lost to the Police Academy at Gum Log this weekend but only made 6 errors and he only had 4 of them in a 5 inning game. Someone told me Vandy was on him pretty hard...dad was a great HVAC man and Vandy sees some potential.

E5,

Could you discuss the techniques for avoiding/overcoming "Numb Leg Syndrome" and "Multiple uses for Knee Braces"?

QUOTE(Homerun King @ Feb 27 2007 - 09:09 AM) 826391547[/snapback]E5,

Could you discuss the techniques for avoiding/overcoming "Numb Leg Syndrome" and "Multiple uses for Knee Braces"?

King,

If I may digrees, someone mentioned a Harrod fellow coaching in the mid-state. I knew a Harrod fellow that was a double-diamond Amway distributor from Idabell, OK who also taught Trigomometry and AP Basic Math. The last I heard of him he was going overseas to do seminars on "Curvy Knife Fighting." If this is the same fellow, tell him I said hey.

On another thread or this one someone mentioned Sharn Jean. THAT is the proper spelling except maybe an "O" in there some wheres.

Now to your question. I have found the cure for the "Numb Leg Syndrome" is to either have pitchers that can people out...gets you up off'n the bucket or buy the Riddell model. The Riddell model is shorter and accomodates the vertically challenged coaches as myself. The one I have is also padded and helps with problems of the backside. I feel the "H" word is a bit strong for some younger eyes...and to tell the truth I can't spell it. Trigomometry took me a while to get it right.

Hope this helps.