Coffee County Girls Basketball

ladynred

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fuzby @ Feb 16 2007 - 12:34 PM) 826374621[/snapback]

Didn't they beat Franklin County last year on the road at their place to advance into the regions? Yes. Quit trying to stir up some mess (for a more polite term)

I'm not trying to stir up anything,FUZ, I just ask a question? Why so sensitive today?

Not at all sensitive today. I just think that many Coffee County fans don't see the big picture. It is frustrating to play in 8-3A with players, although they play their hearts out & are awesome individuals as role models, they are either physically dominated or haven't developed the needed individual skills before they get to CC. Then if they have always been a decent player well that doesn't cut it in 8-3A. Gone are the days of players coming in to shoot on their own & work outside of school/season on their games. Too many other things to occupy their time. I wrote about that in another post. Until CC players develop early on (& I don't mean winning the Warren Co-Coffee Co. 10 year old tourney and such) & be taught a team concept, not just some kid who can dribble the best gets the ball on every possession, then things might begin to change. Too many in CC are caught up in elementary titles w/out even teaching the game & skills to their players. I am hoping for all sports at CC to develop too. Huge fan I am.

Well, I think I see what you're saying, FUZ. But, seems the girls do pretty well in AAU games. Aren't they playing against the same girls basically, in AAU that they are in 8AAA? Could it possibly be the "system" might need to be tuned a little? I've never played but I too am a big fan, just wondering? I appreciate your help.

QUOTE(ladynred @ Feb 16 2007 - 01:29 PM) 826374708[/snapback]

Well, I think I see what you're saying, FUZ. But, seems the girls do pretty well in AAU games. Aren't they playing against the same girls basically, in AAU that they are in 8AAA? Could it possibly be the "system" might need to be tuned a little? I've never played but I too am a big fan, just wondering? I appreciate your help.

Can't you all see? The same Fuzby rules apply to Scroggins as they do Taylor. It is the elementary and middle schools' responsibility to develop good players! Some of the better high school players I have seen weren't even starters in middle school or junior high. Selling this "feeder program" excuse isn't going to cut it. A good coach can develop a decent basketball player in 2 years (9th and 10th grade), so that by 11th grade there should be marked improvement. Our attitude in Manchester is that the high school coaches shouldn't have to teach the game. It is the parent volunteer coaches in elementary and the middle schools to do their job for them and let these guys mess it up. There is alot of talent on that girls team, but those jrs. on the team have underacheived, but it their fault and the feeder programs fault- not the new mexico basketball we insist on playing.

Exaclty dontusee, so our high school team isn't any good because of their middle school programs?? Didn't Elam play under Joel Vincent at Westwood? He won many many games, and turned out some of Coffee's better players, although some were from County as well. You said it right Fuzby, they have been physically dominated or they haven't developed the needed skills, but who's job is it to teach them what they need to do? Isn't that why we pay coaches?? just because they may be "behind" does that mean a coaches responsibility to teach them is over? And also if I recalled when Elam and Page's class entered high school a few of them saw some pretty good minutes for freshmen, so to say that they are coming in unprepared to become good players is rediculous. It's called PASSING THE BUCK. The thing you have to think about is this: they may not be coming in to shoot on their own or whatever, but it's possible that they are no longer motivated by Scroggins' NONSENSICAL coaching and all of this "system" crap....It's PROVEN by the less than desirable record that Coffee has achieved over the past few years since he has been there. There is plenty talent, and regardless of how good or bad they are when they enter high school, if a coach is good enough they can make any player that will, improve. Sorry Fuzby once again I don't agree. Yes ladynred, I think the system needs to be tuned...TUNED OUT, it's old, we hired a bad coach, I wish the administration would admit that.

QUOTE(8675309 @ Feb 16 2007 - 05:45 PM) 826374993[/snapback]

Exaclty dontusee, so our high school team isn't any good because of their middle school programs?? Didn't Elam play under Joel Vincent at Westwood? He won many many games, and turned out some of Coffee's better players, although some were from County as well. You said it right Fuzby, they have been physically dominated or they haven't developed the needed skills, but who's job is it to teach them what they need to do? Isn't that why we pay coaches?? just because they may be "behind" does that mean a coaches responsibility to teach them is over? And also if I recalled when Elam and Page's class entered high school a few of them saw some pretty good minutes for freshmen, so to say that they are coming in unprepared to become good players is rediculous. It's called PASSING THE BUCK. The thing you have to think about is this: they may not be coming in to shoot on their own or whatever, but it's possible that they are no longer motivated by Scroggins' NONSENSICAL coaching and all of this "system" crap....It's PROVEN by the less than desirable record that Coffee has achieved over the past few years since he has been there. There is plenty talent, and regardless of how good or bad they are when they enter high school, if a coach is good enough they can make any player that will, improve. Sorry Fuzby once again I don't agree. Yes ladynred, I think the system needs to be tuned...TUNED OUT, it's old, we hired a bad coach, I wish the administration would admit that.

There are VERY FEW coaches out there in any sport in high school athletics that are true difference makers. The big thing with me ,is coaches who want athletes to play only one sport, when they cannot bring any athlete to another level. I really don't know the dynamics at coffee county ladies basketball, I only saw them 2 times, but for the talent I saw I think the coach done a pretty good job.

I can't believe the blinders that ladynred & 8675309 wear. The players have not come in to work on their own except for the following in over 10 years. Individually, Dillon (Bates), Maxwell, Sipe were the hardest workers alone. To just behind them you can add Cotton, C. Carden, Grose, & K. Thompson. The others who have played their hearts out were not blessed with the size & talent that 8-3A throws at a team. And if the girls, no matter how athletic they were, they did not look to go the extra mile that I '93 did. Benjamin was a stud but it was all natural. Throw me in any other player & I will dispute it to the day I die. In no way am I trying to bad mouth any former or current players, they are all great girls who I have been blessed to know. But the desire to improve skills, get stronger etc. without being led by the coach hasn't been there. EVERY ONE of the coaches during the last 10 years has pushed to improve their teams with open gyms, camps, & clinics. Parents were not very receptive if their child was not benefitting (playing time) They look at basketball as more of a chore. Don't tell me its Coach Scroggins either because it was that way from Donaldson through Crabtree, Tipps, & into Scroggins. Cut all of them, you have no program. Keep them and get on & off again results-usually good out of district/region but not too good within the district/region. It is incredible what the community tells these kids & expects of these kids because of they had success from ages 12-14 (in about every sport) Its like Taiwan Little League, most CC players max out by 12-14 years of age. 1 in about every 5 years is a stud, both boys & girls. Most don't aspire to greater athletic feats than just playing in hs. Most don't their improve skills, don't get stronger or much more grow, or don't take in the team concept when they get to hs. Those that due are the one's with the biggest hearts but the least physically blessed. Heart only carries you so far day in & day out against the horses other teams in 8-3A have. Move them to any other district besides 7-AAA, you would see winning records & deeper runs about every year. 5A Football will back me up as should CHS4life & Pedo. Even Pioneer14's reply was pretty good from an outside observer.

PLEASE reply back. I still pull for CC, my best friends in TN all live there & I will forever be indebted to CC for giving me my start. If any of you still think you can dispute my knowledge & role with the teams at CC, then look me up at Independence HS. Until then Go Red Raiders!!!

Coach J