Union City Scores 130 in win vs Trenton

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ Feb 18 2007 - 02:58 PM) 826377485[/snapback]By looking at those scores the defenses were non-existent. If the refs were clling it tight.....they had both teams to the point of watching each other score.

Union City's defense was absolutely there..For about 2 1/2 quarters...They called off the press midway of the third quarter and Trenton,who goes 10 deep,played those 10 the entirety of the game...Even the second five and some starters played for Peabody in the fourth against UC's freshmen and sophs.....There was no defense at all in the fourth quarter though...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3153 @ Feb 18 2007 - 12:50 PM) 826377468[/snapback]Interesting stuff backinthaoc.

My observations on the Humboldt/Lake Co. game. It appears that Lake Co. has the better team. Honestly though, I feel that the game was sluggish. The players seemed sluggish. There was plenty of height on both teams, but watching them play, height was not a factor at all. Humboldt's height you would think would be a factor, but rarely did I see them get aggressive like they should under the goal considering there size. Granted, I only watched the first quarter, but after the UC game in which bodies were flying all over the place, it seemed that both teams were lacking talent comparing to UC.

I feel that UC's fourth or fifth best man would be a star on both of these teams. My reasoning to this is watching individual performances while moving up the court. Most of the time, no matter who had the ball every player struggled when trapped or pressured. UC on the other hand, seems to have much more talent individually that it seems that nothing would bother them. Numerous times, whether it be a first, second or third string player, when there was a play to be made, a UC player stepped up and made an awesome pass, dribbled thru a press, or made the right shot or decision that needed to be made.

Lake Co. does indeed have a great team and can give UC fits for segments of a game. I feel that it is just that tough, just segments not for four quarters.

Regardless looking forward to the game on Tue.

Does anyone know what time is tip-off?

Maybe you should have stuck around for the whole game!Humboldt makes you work harder on offense to get off a shot and with their height..you just can't go in and shoot layups over them..Lake Co will be able to shoot outside or inside against U.C.without having to worry about getting their shots blocked..The key is to not turn the ball over against U.C.'s pressure defense..and we have pretty good ball handlers..And ..I don't believe U.C. can have many more shooting nights like last night..U.C. has a great ball club..but Lake Co will make Cedric Allen change his shot..We play a different game against U.C. whereas with Humboldt ..you have to pick your spots..As far as nothing bothering the great team you're talking about..Union city has had as many ..if not more turnovers against Lake Co than Lake Co had against U.C....But..according to most U.C. fans..they were unforced errors..Lake Co doesn't fear U.C...I'm smart enough to know if U.c. shoots like they did last night..nobody will beat them..they could beat uds 30 points..But..Lake Co will take it to U.C...Give U.C. credit..they won both games..but Lake Co outplayed them both games in the second half..Trenton didn't play any defense..As far as U.C. 5th man being a star on either team..tell me who's place he would take...I would imagine Sep,Channen,and Springer will make the all district team..Russel Avery can hold his own with anyone and has gotten better each game..Likely choice ..you probably think would be Copeland..But the first game he had about 25 points against U.C...And ..even though he don't jump..the box score usually has him doing pretty well and he will give U.C. trouble down low..So..maybe you've been with Alice in her Wonderland...maybe they have things flying around in there!

QUOTE(3153 @ Feb 18 2007 - 03:16 PM) 826377527[/snapback]If they played in AA then they would have to play teams like White House. What was that score again? 102-76 Union City winning? Right BenStiller23?

I would though love to see a UC/Liberty Game. I believe that Liberty would win, but would like to see the match-up. Hopefully both schools can get together and schedule this for future years. At least it would be good practice that would sell alot of tickets.

Let's face it. Both teams have talent and will have it for some time to come. They are 1 hour apart and prob have two of the top teams in the state.

Union City and Liberty did scrimmage in the pre-season....Liberty winning.....These two teams have played up until this season...Union City owns the lead in the series 2 or 3 games to 1....

QUOTE(3153 @ Feb 18 2007 - 01:16 PM) 826377527[/snapback]If they played in AA then they would have to play teams like White House. What was that score again? 102-76 Union City winning? Right BenStiller23?

I would though love to see a UC/Liberty Game. I believe that Liberty would win, but would like to see the match-up. Hopefully both schools can get together and schedule this for future years. At least it would be good practice that would sell alot of tickets.

Let's face it. Both teams have talent and will have it for some time to come. They are 1 hour apart and prob have two of the top teams in the state.

Get real..! Union City had a great game last night..Yes..they've beaten a lot of poor schools by 40 points..Whitby doesn't run up the score on teams and I would imagine Humboldt could have beaten a few teams pretty bad as well ..but it's called class..!

QUOTE(3153 @ Feb 18 2007 - 01:16 PM) 826377527[/snapback]If they played in AA then they would have to play teams like White House. What was that score again? 102-76 Union City winning? Right BenStiller23?

Maybe the coaches could get together for a scrimage during the tournaments in the "Boro".

Quote......."Get real..! Union City had a great game last night..Yes..they've beaten a lot of poor soulds by 40 points..Whitby doesn't run up the score on teams and I woulsd imagine Humboldt could have beaten a few teams prettyu bad as well ..but it's call class..! "

Are you saying that UC runs the score up on people???? How else are the FOUR FRESHMAN and 1 SOPHMORE on the floor supposed to play?? Don't shoot? Give opponents the ball?? come on....

QUOTE(mrbigster @ Feb 18 2007 - 03:28 PM) 826377557[/snapback]Get real..! Union City had a great game last night..Yes..they've beaten a lot of poor soulds by 40 points..Whitby doesn't run up the score on teams and I woulsd imagine Humboldt could have beaten a few teams prettyu bad as well ..but it's call class..!

Bigster...Me and you have a running dialouge pretty much throughout the football and basketball season.....I know you didn't just imply Union City hasn't any class....Union City has been playing freshmen and sophs now since the Gleason massacre in Gleason just after the start of 2007.....Union City's second five would no doubt come in at least 4th place in this district and since those young kids that everyone was clammoring for Sisco to play because of the blowout wins earlier in the season have gotten a chance to play,they also have gotten much better....Those young kid's confidence is thru the roof and they come out firing....When you get down to the 13th,14th and 15th man in a game to start the fourth quarter,you better believe they won't stand around and hold the ball the whole time.....If UC had no class,they could have done what Trenton did last nite and keep their 10 man rotation in and scored 200 points.....

QUOTE(mrbigster @ Feb 18 2007 - 01:23 PM) 826377542[/snapback]Maybe you should have stuck around for the whole game!Humboldt makes you work harder on offense to get off a shot and with their height..you just can't go in and shoot layups over them..Lake Co will be able to shoot outside or inside against U.C.without having to worry about getting their shots blocked..The key is to not turn the ball over against U.C.'s pressure defense..and we have pretty good ball handlers..And ..I don't believe U.C. can have many more shooting nights like last night..U.C. has a great ball club..but Lake Co will make Cedric Allen change his shot..We play a different game against U.C. whereas with Humboldt ..you have to pick your spots..As far as nothing bothering the great team you're talking about..Union city has had as many ..if not more turnovers against Lake Co than Lake Co had against U.C....But..according to most U.C. fans..they were unforced errors..Lake Co doesn't fear U.C...I'm smart enough to know if U.c. shoots like they did last night..nobody will beat them..they could beat uds 30 points..But..Lake Co will take it to U.C...Give U.C. credit..they won both games..but Lake Co outplayed them both games in the second half..Trenton didn't play any defense..As far as U.C. 5th man being a star on either team..tell me who's place he would take...I would imagine Sep,Channen,and Springer will make the all district team..Russel Avery can hold his own with anyone and has gotten better each game..Likely choice ..you probably think would be Copeland..But the first game he had about 25 points against U.C...And ..even though he don't jump..the box score usually has him doing pretty well and he will give U.C. trouble down low..So..maybe you've been with Alice in her Wonderland...maybe they have things flying around in there!

Just my observation and .02 cents. Sometime truth hurts though. I feel you are forgeting that UC was up big in both games played against LC earlier in the year.

No harm to LC though. They have an outstanding team as I said earlier. I am really looking forward to this game again though. You are right, I did see LC and UC at UC and they did play different.

Regardless, they are the two best teams in the state in A and that is nothing to ashamed of. I am glad that they can play each other this much. Only makes them both better!!

QUOTE(Themightymac @ Feb 18 2007 - 01:44 PM) 826377601[/snapback]First, Congrats to UC boys and girls! And likewise to LC.

I want to point out what I saw Saturday night that just confirmed what I said early this season.

I watched the game from the rail which gave me a good vantage point.

I don't think UC has the athletisism of either LC or Humbolt, BUT I do believe they have the best coaching philosophy anywhere in the state and all the other coaches need to take a good look at it. (save for MJ, and Simpson)

To beat UC you HAVE to do the following:

1) Stop throwing lousy lob passes. UC eats this up! They are always looking for a steal from weak passes. I am not so sure the press is the problem so much as their ability to look for weak passing. There is no such thing as "free-ins" with them. UC ripped Trenton a new one this way. UC never makes weak passes. Good job UC.

2) Keep your eye on the stinkin' ball! UC passes the ball down the court more than they dribble it more times than not beating the defence to the other end of the court forcing a one-on-one down low or the open three and you just can't give them that Much room! The same for offence, UC double teams at the hlaf court line or sooner and most teams don't even know it is happening cause they are all looking the other way. Good job UC.

3) FUNDAMENTAL FUNDAMENTALS FUNDAMENTALS! You cannot miss lay-ups and 4-6 ft jump shots. You just can't. 3's are a little trickier, but there is not reason to miss a short jumper or lay-up. UC is super solid right here. 2 points every possession. Their 3's are pretty but most of their points are scored within 8 ft of the rim. If you can't shut it down, match it. Good job UC.

If LC beats UC it is cause of athleticism. And yes, I want LC to beat UC. BUt some of the rest of us need to take a good look at why they win and learn from it. Quit squakin' about them being single A and start running and shooting. Free throws are important, but don't say a team lost to them (UC) by missing a few frees at thend of the game. Get your junk together and play the first three quarters and it won't be an issue.

...I think I am done now....I feel better...um... Go LAKE County!!!!!

Good point!! I think that the reason UC is subbing five at a time, is to strictly, run, run, and run. The point is to wear down the opposing teams starters. Come third quarter game is where UC wants it. The are deep with excellent ball handlers and the coaches know it. Great strategy if you ask me!!

QUOTE(mrbigster @ Feb 18 2007 - 02:28 PM) 826377557[/snapback]Get real..! Union City had a great game last night..Yes..they've beaten a lot of poor schools by 40 points..Whitby doesn't run up the score on teams and I would imagine Humboldt could have beaten a few teams pretty bad as well ..but it's called class..!

This is so boring. Let's make the thread interesting. Whitby doesn't run up the score because he can't. You take away the fun of threads like this by being so derogatory. These younger kids run their butts off in practice everyday and simply continue to get better. Step back and look to see why your younger team members do not improve. If you think it is bad this year, just wait.

QUOTE(3153 @ Feb 18 2007 - 01:35 PM) 826377577[/snapback]Quote......."Get real..! Union City had a great game last night..Yes..they've beaten a lot of poor soulds by 40 points..Whitby doesn't run up the score on teams and I woulsd imagine Humboldt could have beaten a few teams prettyu bad as well ..but it's call class..! "

Are you saying that UC runs the score up on people???? How else are the FOUR FRESHMAN and 1 SOPHMORE on the floor supposed to play?? Don't shoot? Give opponents the ball?? come on....

When the scores 97to about 54...The one player went down late in the game but he's like a strater..I believe he has started a lot..Be a shame if it happened to one of the studs while winning by 45 points..Number 25 looked really good..I wouldn't have expected any of those guys to not play hard and shoot...But ..the game was way..way in hand before the starters ever came to the bench..

QUOTE(bhhvols @ Feb 18 2007 - 02:03 PM) 826377639[/snapback]This is so boring. Let's make the thread interesting. Whitby doesn't run up the score because he can't. You take away the fun of threads like this by being so derogatory. These younger kids run their butts off in practice everyday and simply continue to get better. Step back and look to see why your younger team members do not improve. If you think it is bad this year, just wait.

Let's make it interesting...Whitby could have run up the score several times..He takes a different approach..There's been some games that Lake Co didn't play well..such as Union City not being able to pound Obion Central the way they wanted..Whitby started his second team several times this year ,at the start of the game..I doubt those young players get to play a lot this week..Both times..yall have played Lake Co..All I've heard in 20 point game..Hasn't happened yet!It may happen this week...I don't think so..Lake Co is one of the few teams that can match Union City's athletes..Didn't say they were better outside shooters ,but can match them athletically..It depends on the turnovers and how well Union City shoots from the outside..