To "up til now"

tnmat

I saw your statement regarding Overton's coach Ralph Gabriel. You struck a chord with me, so I'd like to respond. While it may not be what you expected, I hope it helps put things into perspective for you.

I wrestled at Overton starting in the fall of '96 and graduated in 2000. During that period of time, I credit my time in the Overton wrestling program as the single greatest influence on my life outside that of my faith in Christ. Ralph Gabriel coached me during the majority of the duration of that time, and his impact on the lives of the varied students who have gone through the program cannot be measured. As any great coach does, he instilled in his wrestlers a sense of hard work ethic, goal setting, and sportsmanship. Because of his strong personality, he is often misunderstood as being careless or perhaps even rude. The truth is, however, that he is a passionate coach whose love for wrestling acts as merely a tool to share his love for his wrestlers.

Let's face it. Overton is not the same school that I entered. When I entered Overton as a freshman, the student population was a middle-class, middle-income population of hard working students and athletes whose parents were passionately involved in the affairs of the various athletic programs and other extra-curricular activities. We had just won a State Title and would go on to be undefeated and win both the Duals and Individuals. By the time I graduated, it had become a school where its students were of lower-middle income (and often lower), representing over 35 ethnicities, mostly broken homes, and many of my friends going home to violent or drug-infested houses. I cannot express how deeply my heart goes out to these students. The challenges that are faced at that school have shifted dramatically.

I am not ignorant of Gabriel's remarks toward the State Duals. Whether you agree with his statements or not, consider this: he coaches students who may not have any opportunity at college or life success without wrestling. This literally may be the "ticket out" for some of them. His desire toward the Individual Tournament has less to do with preference than his hope for his wrestlers. As much as he may want to win team matches, his desire to see his wrestlers win individually goes much further. Who cares if you win a State Duals Championship if your wrestlers have no opportunity to provide for their families ten years from now? The only priority can be to equip them with the tools necessary to go to college, get a job, and perhaps gain some wisdom along the way.

Coach Gabriel has never changed his intent to inspire his wrestlers and students toward success, in spite of their personal difficulties. As I have observed wrestling programs across the state of Tennessee, I have found that successful programs in the inner-city are virtually nonexistent. In addition, the tragedy is that the main causes of their failures have little to do with these students' homelives. From my observations, I have found that middle/upper-middle class programs have greater parent support, community support, and financial support from their surrounding communities. This is not because parents in lower-income areas do not care, but rather that they are unable. When I stare face-to-face with a mother who is working two full-time jobs to support her three kids because her husband abandoned them, I have a difficult time telling her she does not care, or that she is lazy. Nevertheless, this is the stereotype that has become of lower-income parents.

When I see a wrestler like Rijar Emin at Overton place at State this year at 145, then return home where he has to work at Target in order to contribute to his family who has moved to the U.S. for the "American Dream," I am inclined to think that whatever successes Overton's wrestling team does not reach are not due to these wrestlers nearly as much as they are to us, who stand watching idly in behind our $1500 computers with Cable Internet debating whether the next Soddy-Baylor match is gonna be a blowout or not. How bad must life get before we begin to see how ridiculous our little arguments are?

When I see a wrestler like Talan Noman lose a hard fought match against an excellent wrestler from Greenback, then walk of the mat and shrug his shoulders as if it doesn't matter; or lose his state finals match last year and giggle afterwards, I do not think it is because he does not care. This is a wrestler who, whether he realizes it or not, has a perspective of wrestling that few of us possess. He knows that he could still be in Iraq right now, perhaps fearing for his life. By God's grace, he has the opportunity to compete for a wrestling State Championship, then perhaps next year even go to college.

I have seen too many wrestlers fighting real drama (not the made up kind we like to think we have) to sit by and let you make a comment like that without responding. For me, "wrestling [was] life," as the saying goes. But for these teenagers, it is a privilege that is granted them in the face of great adversity.

If we, as a wrestling community, hope to see wrestling grow as a sport in Tennessee, then I would hope that we would model our approach to that of Coach Gabriel. He has entered into a world that is much more difficult than that of many other areas. Take a look at the top ten teams in Division I and tell me if you find any programs that come from anything less than middle-income, middle-class. You cannot. This is because we have cared far too deeply for our "nice" little areas to care for people who are less fortunate than ourselves. The truth is that most of the wrestling community could care less about people growing up in these surroundings. We can make excuses and dress it up however we want, but if we are honest, we will admit the validity of such a statement.

I say all of these things referring to us as "we" because I am involved as well. There is much more that I could be doing to help. I got a chance the other day to talk with a coach in Metro Nashville about coaching his feeder program. I look forward to this. It is not much, but it is a chance to help out. Maybe I'll get to see a kid one day graduate college and say it was because of what he learned in wrestling. I'm sure there is more I could do, but for now it's something.

I know that I cannot be the only one that regrets not having done something already. I hope that there are people who read this and are inspired to help some of these wrestlers.

If you are willing to begin truly "giving back" to this sport, do it in a way that benefits someone who would not have a chance of success without you.

Thanks,

Brian Drinkwine

Class of 2000

Overton High School, Nashville

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tnmat @ Feb 18 2007 - 04:33 PM) 826377799[/snapback]I saw your statement regarding Overton's coach Ralph Gabriel. You struck a chord with me, so I'd like to respond. While it may not be what you expected, I hope it helps put things into perspective for you.

I wrestled at Overton starting in the fall of '96 and graduated in 2000. During that period of time, I credit my time in the Overton wrestling program as the single greatest influence on my life outside that of my faith in Christ. Ralph Gabriel coached me during the majority of the duration of that time, and his impact on the lives of the varied students who have gone through the program cannot be measured. As any great coach does, he instilled in his wrestlers a sense of hard work ethic, goal setting, and sportsmanship. Because of his strong personality, he is often misunderstood as being careless or perhaps even rude. The truth is, however, that he is a passionate coach whose love for wrestling acts as merely a tool to share his love for his wrestlers.

Let's face it. Overton is not the same school that I entered. When I entered Overton as a freshman, the student population was a middle-class, middle-income population of hard working students and athletes whose parents were passionately involved in the affairs of the various athletic programs and other extra-curricular activities. We had just won a State Title and would go on to be undefeated and win both the Duals and Individuals. By the time I graduated, it had become a school where its students were of lower-middle income (and often lower), representing over 35 ethnicities, mostly broken homes, and many of my friends going home to violent or drug-infested houses. I cannot express how deeply my heart goes out to these students. The challenges that are faced at that school have shifted dramatically.

I am not ignorant of Gabriel's remarks toward the State Duals. Whether you agree with his statements or not, consider this: he coaches students who may not have any opportunity at college or life success without wrestling. This literally may be the "ticket out" for some of them. His desire toward the Individual Tournament has less to do with preference than his hope for his wrestlers. As much as he may want to win team matches, his desire to see his wrestlers win individually goes much further. Who cares if you win a State Duals Championship if your wrestlers have no opportunity to provide for their families ten years from now? The only priority can be to equip them with the tools necessary to go to college, get a job, and perhaps gain some wisdom along the way.

Coach Gabriel has never changed his intent to inspire his wrestlers and students toward success, in spite of their personal difficulties. As I have observed wrestling programs across the state of Tennessee, I have found that successful programs in the inner-city are virtually nonexistent. In addition, the tragedy is that the main causes of their failures have little to do with these students' homelives. From my observations, I have found that middle/upper-middle class programs have greater parent support, community support, and financial support from their surrounding communities. This is not because parents in lower-income areas do not care, but rather that they are unable. When I stare face-to-face with a parent who is working two full-time jobs to support her three kids because their family abandoned them, I have a difficult time telling her she does not care, or that she is lazy. Nevertheless, this is the stereotype that has become of lower-income parents.

When I see a wrestler like Rijar Emin at Overton place at State this year at 145, then return home where he has to work at Target in order to contribute to his family who has moved to the U.S. for the "American Dream," I am inclined to think that whatever successes Overton's wrestling team does not reach are not due to these wrestlers nearly as much as they are to us, who stand watching idly in behind our $1500 computers with Cable Internet debating whether the next Soddy-Baylor match is gonna be a blowout or not. How bad must life get before we begin to see how ridiculous our little arguments are?

When I see a wrestler like Talan Noman lose a hard fought match against an excellent wrestler from Greenback, then walk of the mat and shrug his shoulders as if it doesn't matter; or lose his state finals match last year and giggle afterwards, I do not think it is because he does not care. This is a wrestler who, whether he realizes it or not, has a perspective of wrestling that few of us possess. He knows that he could still be in Iraq right now, perhaps fearing for his life. By God's grace, he has the opportunity to compete for a wrestling State Championship, then perhaps next year even go to college.

I have seen too many wrestlers fighting real drama (not the made up kind we like to think we have) to sit by and let you make a comment like that without responding. For me, "wrestling [was] life," as the saying goes. But for these teenagers, it is a privilege that is granted them in the face of great adversity.

If we, as a wrestling community, hope to see wrestling grow as a sport in Tennessee, then I would hope that we would model our approach to that of Coach Gabriel. He has entered into a world that is much more difficult than that of many other areas. Take a look at the top ten teams in Division I and tell me if you find any programs that come from anything less than middle-income, middle-class. You cannot. This is because we have cared far too deeply for our "nice" little areas to care for people who are less fortunate than ourselves. The truth is that most of the wrestling community could care less about people growing up in these surroundings. We can make excuses and dress it up however we want, but if we are honest, we will admit the validity of such a statement.

I say all of these things referring to us as "we" because I am involved as well. There is much more that I could be doing to help. I got a chance the other day to talk with a coach in Metro Nashville about coaching his feeder program. I look forward to this. It is not much, but it is a chance to help out. Maybe I'll get to see a kid one day graduate college and say it was because of what he learned in wrestling. I'm sure there is more I could do, but for now it's something.

I know that I cannot be the only one that regrets not having done something already. I hope that there are people who read this and are inspired to help some of these wrestlers.

If you are willing to begin truly "giving back" to this sport, do it in a way that benefits someone who would not have a chance of success without you.

Thanks,

Brian Drinkwine

Class of 2000

Nothing like a good dose of honesty. Red Bank, Hixson, and East Ridge know your pain.

Good post. If we want to argue about the best wrestlers in Tennessee, we have to always remember that little asterisk next to that title. It's really an argument about the best wrestler who is able to wrestle due to the blessings he has been given. Coming from Memphis, I have watched as the population of wrestling programs has been pushed from the city to the suburbs. Many kids who could have found opportunities through wrestling no longer have that option. Schools like Raliegh-Egypt, Westside, Kirby, and Ridgeway have seen their programs lose momentum due to circumstances beyond the control of the students and coaches. It is important for coaches like Ralph Gabriel to fight for the futures of these youths. It's wonderful that so many kids can go to schools that have the money and support to have a wrestling program, but we can't forget those who aren't given those blessings. I couldn't begin to suggest ways in which this would be possible, but we are a wrestling community. When a wrestler from Tennessee succeeds beyond high school, whether it be in wrestling or in life, we can all feel a sense of pride in knowing that each person in the community was a tiny part of the environment that gave that wrestler the opportunity to be successful. Maybe you sharpened his skills by competing, maybe you molded his career by coaching, or maybe you put your own money into the booster clubs and tournaments that keep the sport financially feasible. These are some of the sacrifices that provide kids a place to go for the lessons taught on a wrestling mat, the lessons that keep many of those kids out of trouble and provide some of them the chance for an education that would otherwise be impossible. And while these sacrifices are admirable, hundreds of others from less fortunate backgrounds miss out every year. As Mr. Drinkwine so pertinently said, "If you are willing to begin truly 'giving back' to this sport, do it in a way that benefits someone who would not have a chance of success without you." In the movie 'Pay It Forward,' the young boy describes this idea as doing something for others that "they can’t do for themselves." This is a beautiful sentiment that we would all do well to consider. I could not begin to cast stones at anyone, because I am no better. I would only hope that others might see what I have seen in our wrestling "community" and realize that things change through the actions of even one person such as Coach Gabriel. Each of us has the power to make change happen. A much better man said it in a much better way than me:

"Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" --Martin Luther King, Jr.

QUOTE(tnmat @ Feb 18 2007 - 04:33 PM) 826377799[/snapback]I saw your statement regarding Overton's coach Ralph Gabriel. You struck a chord with me, so I'd like to respond. While it may not be what you expected, I hope it helps put things into perspective for you.

Coach Gabriel has never changed his intent to inspire his wrestlers and students toward success, in spite of their personal difficulties. As I have observed wrestling programs across the state of Tennessee, I have found that successful programs in the inner-city are virtually nonexistent. In addition, the tragedy is that the main causes of their failures have little to do with these students' homelives. From my observations, I have found that middle/upper-middle class programs have greater parent support, community support, and financial support from their surrounding communities. This is not because parents in lower-income areas do not care, but rather that they are unable. When I stare face-to-face with a mother who is working two full-time jobs to support her three kids because husband family abandoned them, I have a difficult time telling her she does not care, or that she is lazy. Nevertheless, this is the stereotype that has become of lower-income parents.

Thanks,

Brian Drinkwine

Class of 2000

Probably the most powerful post I have read on this board. Thank you for taking the time to educate us. There are other programs facing similar obstacles, but it does appear Overton's challenges may run deeper than most.

I don't think you have to worry about people on this board believing any fool with an ax to grind posting negative remarks about your former coach. If he was able to inspire your eloquence and passion I would say he must be both a fine man and coach.

Best wishes with your program.

QUOTE(tnmat @ Feb 18 2007 - 05:33 PM) 826377799[/snapback]I saw your statement regarding Overton's coach Ralph Gabriel. You struck a chord with me, so I'd like to respond. While it may not be what you expected, I hope it helps put things into perspective for you.

Coach Gabriel has never changed his intent to inspire his wrestlers and students toward success, in spite of their personal difficulties. As I have observed wrestling programs across the state of Tennessee, I have found that successful programs in the inner-city are virtually nonexistent. In addition, the tragedy is that the main causes of their failures have little to do with these students' homelives. From my observations, I have found that middle/upper-middle class programs have greater parent support, community support, and financial support from their surrounding communities. This is not because parents in lower-income areas do not care, but rather that they are unable. When I stare face-to-face with a mother who is working two full-time jobs to support her three kids because her husband abandoned them, I have a difficult time telling her she does not care, or that she is lazy. Nevertheless, this is the stereotype that has become of lower-income parents.

Thanks,

Brian Drinkwine

Class of 2000

Mr.Drinkwine...I can bet you will be a wonderful mentor to the youth you have taken on to coach...very well spoken. Please instill in them what your coach has instilled in you.

best regards

Stephanie Humphreys

The community based highschool is very hard to find these days. Coach E. and I have thought about trying to do something like the old chattanooga boys club, they used to support wrestling(David Vance). Red Bank, Hixson, and East Ridge have all exp. declining enrollment. Now the school their building on signal mtn. is going to take even more students out of Red Bank. We used to be one of the largest schools in the state, now were staring class A or AA right in the face if they don't replace those students. I know about no child left behind but what about the communties these politicians have destroyed. We knew this was going on and yet we did nothing, correction we did something, we moved and guess what else, we built 20 small private schools to send our kids too. We have kids in neighborhoods going to 3 or 4 different schools. Public Schools are in sad shape and we as tax payers have looked the other way or went the other way and its our money they used to destroy our schools. Tell us where we can go to school, and tell us to like it or lump it. We are lucky to still have our wrestling programs. I support Soddy, Bradley, Baylor, all of them because as long as their still strong I have somewhere to run if I choose not to deal with it anymore. I want everyones programs to be strong and with kids all over the place but I have a feeling those days are gone too.

There are communities like East Lit that have their programs on the rise.

My son wrestled against Overton this year at Overton. He came back and asked me about all the ethnic blend at Overton and I had to give him a brief history lesson on what Overton use to be. In my day they were one of the powers of the state and one of the more influential parts of Nashville. It has changed just like the part of Nashville I left.

I am 3rd generation Christian Lebanese. My Grandfather’s parents left then Syria in 1905 because of Christian persecution and my grandfather was born on the ship to the United States.

We have pictures of him wrestling and most of our family over the years has wrestled. I would have hoped that wrestling gave my relatives the training to succeed in life.

I’m glad to see that these opportunities are still out there for famlies trying to live the United States of America dream.

Good Luck to Overton and their grapplers in the future.

Good post Brian.

I was at matside Thursday at the end of the Noman/Miller match. I was incredibly impressed with the dignity and class displayed by the young man after that loss. I know he had to be terribly disappointed, but he did not make a spectacle of himself.

Coaches Gabriel and McTorry were classy as well. They patted the kid on the back and went on.

There are so many things going on behind the scenes of any wrestling program, and they would take more time to explain than most of us have.

Congratulations, Talon. It is something to be both a great athlete and a great kid.

I remember when we had a city school system and a county school system. People in city school system always complained about their schools and did nothing about it. Then we all must remember when the city of chattanooga said it was getting out of the school business. Hamilton Co. had to take over all the schools and now look at us. We are lovin it now. People around here go to CCS, Silverdale, Boyd Buc, etc... thats why theres no community support anymore, half the community sends their kids elsewhere. I grew up in Brynwood Park, right inside the Red Bank City Limits, people used to carpool, move, do whatever it took to go to Red Bank thats what my parents did, we were zoned for City High living in SpringValley right across the creek from Red Bank. We moved 20 miles to go to a school that was 100 yards from our house. Coach Henry a very distinguished Red Bank alum grew up in the same hood. Do we really try to do whats best? What are school boards really trying to do? Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to provoke thought. I didn't run and I'm trying to help our coach but its harder than any of you know. Mr. Drinkwine does because he cares, I to care but its hard to pull from a community thats population is much different than that of the school. I've called business, old friends, friends of friends, for my coach. Sometimes it just seems to not matter. I told Coach E., I couldn't give money but I could give the most important part of me and that was my kids. It would be nice to see Overton back to its former glory, Hunter Lane used to be pretty good also. I'm proud of what Coach Henry has done at Soddy, Coach Miller at Cleveland and my kids would love to wrestle at Bradley but I asked them to understand that sometimes in life you do things for the principals of it and we our proud to be a Red Bank Lion. We have a great coach that is driven to succeed and a good core group of kids. I just wanted the wrestling community and all Red Bank alums to know that we are doing our best to restore the proud tradition that you helped build but we can't do it alone.

The Henry's