Wartburg and Os

bob367

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think success depends on Dan for OS. It certainly would help, but I don't blieve it is crucial for OS to win. I do believe that OS needs a strong game from Carter, West, and Wampler in order to win. If anyone noticed last time, Shannon did a great job of knocking down open looks. In fact, I don't remember him missing one. However, when Carter guarded him man to man, Shannon had a hard time finding the basket. So, with Carter on Shannon, Wampler and West will have to guard the other tall guy (don't know his name) from Wartburg. If they do a good job boxing out and make him leave his feet they could be successful. However, If they stand around and do not make him move, he will dominate down low (offensively and defensively). On offense for Os, they need to single out Carter on Shannon, especially going from a high to low position. Carter is much more physical and could get Shannon into early foul trouble. Wartburg needs to do what they did last time, great ball movement to the open guy to knock down the jumper. The most important key, I believe, for the game is dicipline. Wartburg, as funny as it sounds to me, is 10X more disciplined that is OS. In fact, last game was fun to watch because it seemed as though some of the OS players were more concerned with making sure they were not going to be embarrassed or called out by a WHS player so they did stupid things. (more or less this means dumb fouls, bad shot selection, bad passing, and yes the almighty Technical Foul). I agree that WHS is a tough place to play, but OS has woon there before, so I don't see that being a huge deal. All in all, it should be a great game. The last thing to mention is mental toughness. How well can OS reapond to Wartburg who has beaten them twice this year (close games) and twice last year (one being for the district championship). I think Wartburg has the edge for now. I mean with a three game win streak over OS, playing at home, and the better ability to run the floor. However, I am not counting OS out, but, they will have to play the smartest, most unselfish, most disciplined basketball they have all season. This is the time for teams to be peaking... we will see who is further along tonight.

Congratulations to Oliver Springs on winning the district title. It was a great game played by both teams and it was anybody's to lose. Unfortunately, it came down to four back-to-back turnovers within the last three minutes, with OS scoring on each one. Turnovers can definately lose a game for you and this is proof positive. Great effort by both teams and I look forward to the regional tournament.

Wartburg...keep your chin up! It's better to have lost tonight than to lose Saturday in the regionals. Play hard and good luck!