Booing at the State Tournament

best_of_the_west

Friday night, I was up in the rafters, away from all the mayhem. I don't have a dog in the fight. I just go to watch great wrestling, but I couldn't help but notice the reactions of some of the fans after a few of the matches. It's one thing to boo a ref during the match (although I don't condone it), but booing after the match has been decided seems unnecessary. It won't change anything, and I just felt bad for the kids that won. They have just accomplished a great feat, and they jump off the mat and have their hand raised to a chorus of boos. Booing never changed a decision. I am not arguing that booing should be disallowed. Fans have the right to say whatever they want within the guidelines of the law and the tournament host. I just do not see the point. I think it does a disservice to the kids and the sport. I know someone will say, "Did you even see what happened?" or "You don't even know the story behind it!" Those people are missing my point. I have never seen booing have any positive effect on a wrestling match. Agree or disagree?

QUOTE(best_of_the_west @ Feb 18 2007 - 08:58 PM) 826378197[/snapback]Friday night, I was up in the rafters, away from all the mayhem. I don't have a dog in the fight. I just go to watch great wrestling, but I couldn't help but notice the reactions of some of the fans after a few of the matches. It's one thing to boo a ref during the match (although I don't condone it), but booing after the match has been decided seems unnecessary. It won't change anything, and I just felt bad for the kids that won. They have just accomplished a great feat, and they jump off the mat and have their hand raised to a chorus of boos. Booing never changed a decision. I am not arguing that booing should be disallowed. Fans have the right to say whatever they want within the guidelines of the law and the tournament host. I just do not see the point. I think it does a disservice to the kids and the sport. I know someone will say, "Did you even see what happened?" or "You don't even know the story behind it!" Those people are missing my point. I have never seen booing have any positive effect on a wrestling match. Agree or disagree?

Agree, but has pointing this little fact out ever had a positive effect on those that want to boo. Agree or disagree?

QUOTE(best_of_the_west @ Feb 18 2007 - 09:06 PM) 826378219[/snapback]I don't know. I've never tried. All I usually see is people calling the other fans classless which further provokes the issue. I'm just trying to put my opinion out there in a sound, calm manner. Maybe it will do some good, but probably not. That doesn't mean it's not worth saying.

Agree

QUOTE(RMC @ Feb 18 2007 - 08:17 PM) 826378239[/snapback]I don't like booing. For the kids it's hard to determine if your booing them or the ref. Their just kids.

Only exception........we had a couple of kids take a swing at the other kid after they lost and that's unacceptable.

Like Terry Brands (Iowa) did when he lost in the NCAA semi-finals to Kendall Cross (Oklahoma State)