Questions for Bradley C and Christian Bros

Double Trouble

QUOTE(hoosierdad @ Feb 21 2007 - 08:51 AM) 826382413[/snapback]TurkeyBar,

Good post, however, take it one step further. Not only stop financial aid at Baylor and McCallie, stop it at Bradley. Last time I checked, the students were not charged a tuition to cover the cost of their education. Our tax dollars pay for it. Also, some students are offered transportation, ie the bus, free meals for those who can't afford. What type of financial aid would you call this? Also, remember, Bradley had a wrestler from Red Bank who transferred to Bradley after wrestling for Red Bank in the state his freshman year. I believe the parent moved to Bradley in order to get him in. As for zoning, this is a crock. You can attend a public school out of zone and state you need to take a class at that particular school that is not offered at the school you are zoned for. This occurs more than you know. Ask Courtney Coffee and ask many of the wrestlers from the Overton team that won the state a few years ago. Most of their team was not zoned for Overton.

All students attending public schools are getting financial aid because they are not paying the cost of their education!

Tuition at Baylor and McCallie is $30,000+ for boarding students. This makes the cost of tuition at Notre Dame a bargain. What is the cost of tuition at Bradley, Red Bank, Hixson, etc?

When I read your reply the first thing that came to mind was "it is better to keep your mouth shut and let them think you are stupid than to open it and remove all doubt". Know what you are talking about before you post. The only time you have to pay tuition in Bradley Co. is if you live in the county and choose to go to a city school. Ye know of not what ye speak.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TurkeyBar @ Feb 21 2007 - 03:14 PM) 826383128[/snapback]When I read your reply the first thing that came to mind was "it is better to keep your mouth shut and let them think you are stupid than to open it and remove all doubt". Know what you are talking about before you post. The only time you have to pay tuition in Bradley Co. is if you live in the county and choose to go to a city school. Ye know of not what ye speak.

I disagree. How many students at Bradley pay the full tuition? What % of public shool students pay the full cost of their education? I do know of what I speak. Tax dollars pay for the cost of the education. I should have known. You can't handle the truth!

QUOTE(TurkeyBar @ Feb 21 2007 - 04:23 PM) 826383220[/snapback]Tax dollars vs. financial aid is apples to oranges. Please carry the dialect in an educated manner.

I like the way you think, TurkeyBar.

The problem with recruiting by private schools, is that it is easy to do. They can offer a lot of things some public schools can't, including outstanding facilities for sports and learning and a great education, due to the costs of attending the school. I'm not sure how many of you have been to McCallie, but wow. It's incredibly nice, and while I have a lot of pride for the purple and gold, our school is not quite as nice. And having met a lot of kids here at Vanderbilt who went to either McCallie or Baylor, I can fully appreciate the appeal of those kinds of schools. Had I been offered the chance to go to either (and also been offered generous monetary compensation for tuition, or financial aide, or what have you) I would have jumped at the chance. While a good deal of CHS teachers were well-qualified for their jobs, let's just say that some may have been better suited for another field of work, and while I took advantage of every opportunity that was offered me while attending CHS, I can't help but feel there were some good ones that I never encountered due to various circumstances.

My point is, private schools are private for a reason. Yeah, it costs money to attend these schools, but that money is obviously put to good use. So, if Bradley doesn't want to wrestle Baylor because of recruiting issues, that's their business, but couldn't Baylor just as easily recruit them without wrestling the Bears? Seems more like stubborn pride than anything, and it's not like Bradley is ever short of talent. Both schools are missing out on some good competition, and if the Bradley coaches were sincere in their concerns about their team, they wouldn't sacrfice a chance to get on the mat with one of the big dogs in town. Then again, most of this is based on word of mouth, and I can substantiate litte, if any of it.

QUOTE(Ibleedpurpleandgold @ Feb 21 2007 - 05:46 PM) 826383237[/snapback]I like the way you think, TurkeyBar.

The problem with recruiting by private schools, is that it is easy to do. They can offer a lot of things some public schools can't, including outstanding facilities for sports and learning and a great education, due to the costs of attending the school. I'm not sure how many of you have been to McCallie, but wow. It's incredibly nice, and while I have a lot of pride for the purple and gold, our school is not quite as nice. And having met a lot of kids here at Vanderbilt who went to either McCallie or Baylor, I can fully appreciate the appeal of those kinds of schools. Had I been offered the chance to go to either (and also been offered generous monetary compensation for tuition, or financial aide, or what have you) I would have jumped at the chance. While a good deal of CHS teachers were well-qualified for their jobs, let's just say that some may have been better suited for another field of work, and while I took advantage of every opportunity that was offered me while attending CHS, I can't help but feel there were some good ones that I never encountered due to various circumstances.

My point is, private schools are private for a reason. Yeah, it costs money to attend these schools, but that money is obviously put to good use. So, if Bradley doesn't want to wrestle Baylor because of recruiting issues, that's their business, but couldn't Baylor just as easily recruit them without wrestling the Bears? Seems more like stubborn pride than anything, and it's not like Bradley is ever short of talent. Both schools are missing out on some good competition, and if the Bradley coaches were sincere in their concerns about their team, they wouldn't sacrfice a chance to get on the mat with one of the big dogs in town. Then again, most of this is based on word of mouth, and I can substantiate litte, if any of it.

The seems like stubborn pride thing bothers me, I think it has been stated before it is a matter of principles or what they seem is fair. I'm sure they are not the only ones that feel they may lose or have lost kids to private programs, on the flip side Bradley has had their fair share of atheletes to move into their zone for sports ( This years basketball team is a prime example) but as I said before they don't get to choose who, the only people they are allowed to recruit are teachers and coaches.

QUOTE(shutout @ Feb 21 2007 - 05:01 PM) 826383252[/snapback]The seems like stubborn pride thing bothers me, I think it has been stated before it is a matter of principles or what they seem is fair. I'm sure they are not the only ones that feel they may lose or have lost kids to private programs, on the flip side Bradley has had their fair share of atheletes to move into their zone for sports ( This years basketball team is a prime example) but as I said before they don't get to choose who, the only people they are allowed to recruit are teachers and coaches.

So then, what exactly are the principles at stake if Bradley were to wrestle Baylor? If Bradley is guilty of receiving their own group of 'recruits' over the years, whether they be actively recruited or decide to attend the school of their own accord, why so put out at Baylor? I guess I just fail to see the exact reasoning behind Bradley deciding not to wrestle Baylor, if that is indeed the case. However, I really don't think it's because they are scared. If that were the case, they would have refrained from wrestling Soddy after they had beaten Baylor.

Forgive my ignorance, but I just don't see how sticking to unclarified principles is anything other than stubborness.

QUOTE(CoachBray @ Feb 21 2007 - 06:31 PM) 826383377[/snapback]I think Monk looks more like Israel Cordero from Arlington!

I think we were talking personality similarities not physical traits. On that end yes I would give you Israel pretty much nails it right on the head... or at least as close as any coach I can think of. Of course I wonder how long you have been thinking that one to yourself... hmm...