The COACHING DILEMMA these days...

tee1up

QUOTE(irecnso @ Feb 22 2007 - 09:31 AM) 826384314[/snapback]High school coaching, except for a few places, is a no-win situation. Too many kids and parents are selfish, and it's not politically correct for administrators to back up the coach. It's a societal problem, and it's going to get worse.

Agreed

I am finishing school up to become a coach in high school. I have talked with many people who have coached or did at one time and asked them about the problems that come with coaching and the two you pointed out parents and administration are the biggest two components. I know Coach Carter was a movie but it was based on a true story and when i start coaching or become a head coach i want to coach to that aspect somewhat. I do think more times than none it is a no win situation, but once you are capable of being successful with students in sports as well as making an impact in thier lives you will be able to get with a program who suppots what you are doing. look at the best coaches in the history of sports all have strict & dicsiplined coaching styles.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ Feb 22 2007 - 09:50 AM) 826384338[/snapback]I am finishing school up to become a coach in high school. I have talked with many people who have coached or did at one time and asked them about the problems that come with coaching and the two you pointed out parents and administration are the biggest two components. I know Coach Carter was a movie but it was based on a true story and when i start coaching or become a head coach i want to coach to that aspect somewhat. I do think more times than none it is a no win situation, but once you are capable of being successful with students in sports as well as making an impact in thier lives you will be able to get with a program who suppots what you are doing. look at the best coaches in the history of sports all have strict & dicsiplined coaching styles.

Yes I know it seems liek in every program the parents and kids have the say- so about how the program should be run and who should play na dsit and it seems like the administration always backs up the parents but this is just not the case look at the coaches in Tennessee who have been doing it for a long time and have been successful, you can not tell me that parents run their programs, I dont see it happening it's not possible to hae parents run your program and you maintain an elite program, I have been involved with two middle school programs a high school program and a high school baseball program and they all were successful and they all had one thing in common not including myself(lol) the head coaches did not allow the parents the freedom to interject their two cents in about what should be going on. that is not a coincidence

QUOTE(icecold06 @ Feb 22 2007 - 10:31 AM) 826384400[/snapback]Yes I know it seems liek in every program the parents and kids have the say- so about how the program should be run and who should play na dsit and it seems like the administration always backs up the parents but this is just not the case look at the coaches in Tennessee who have been doing it for a long time and have been successful, you can not tell me that parents run their programs, I dont see it happening it's not possible to hae parents run your program and you maintain an elite program, I have been involved with two middle school programs a high school program and a high school baseball program and they all were successful and they all had one thing in common not including myself(lol) the head coaches did not allow the parents the freedom to interject their two cents in about what should be going on. that is not a coincidence

I agree 100%. I think there is a time and place for a parent to speak to a coach if they have a concern. As far as playing time goes, if a parent came to me and tried to tell me how to run my program, I would let them know what their child needs to do to become a better athlete or player and get more playing time.The conversation stops right there. I dont think every school has this problem but you would be neive to think it doesnt happen anywhere. When the administration does not have your back, that is where it can get out of hand with parents. If you are successful and teach your players life lessons on and off the court and are a positive impact in their lives more times than none you will have the administrations support.

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ Feb 22 2007 - 10:41 AM) 826384417[/snapback]I agree 100%. I think there is a time and place for a parent to speak to a coach if they have a concern. As far as playing time goes, if a parent came to me and tried to tell me how to run my program, I would let them know what their child needs to do to become a better athlete or player and get more playing time.The conversation stops right there. I dont think every school has this problem but you would be neive to think it doesnt happen anywhere. When the administration does not have your back, that is where it can get out of hand with parents. If you are successful and teach your players life lessons on and off the court and are a positive impact in their lives more times than none you will have the administrations support.

I agree with you I know it happens and it's sad just imagine a teacher who justifiably disciplines a student with the discipline being well within the realm of the school policies but then the administration sides with the parents, that's terrible

QUOTE(icecold06 @ Feb 22 2007 - 10:48 AM) 826384430[/snapback]I agree with you I know it happens and it's sad just imagine a teacher who justifiably disciplines a student with the discipline being well within the realm of the school policies but then the administration sides with the parents, that's terrible

It is terrible and from being about 8-10 years removed from athletics in Highschool things have changed dramatically from another stand point and that is kids attitudes. This does not go out to all players or parents, and I know it was bad even ten year ago but the lack of respect players give to their coaches, officials, parents, and teammates has gotten worse year by year. I know if I showed attitude or disrespect a coach or an elder I was not going to be able to sit down the rest of the night lol. i dont know if it is change of times or if it is parenting, but things have gotten out of control in alot of aspects between player coach relationships.

QUOTE(tee1up @ Feb 20 2007 - 09:55 PM) 826381948[/snapback]So here's the all too common dilemma for coaches in this day and age.

a) Coach players hard, teach them good values, character, discipline, hard work, etc... and they will QUIT because either they're not tough enough...or the parents run a campaign to get rid of him/her...

or...

Recruit the best players, regardless of character, let them run wild...and hopefully win a lot of games...and move on to a better job before the community catches on...

Seems like a no win situation to me...

What do you all think?

You're exactly right. I wish I could say you're wrong, but you're dead on.

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ Feb 22 2007 - 10:53 AM) 826384435[/snapback]It is terrible and from being about 8-10 years removed from athletics in Highschool things have changed dramatically from another stand point and that is kids attitudes. This does not go out to all players or parents, and I know it was bad even ten year ago but the lack of respect players give to their coaches, officials, parents, and teammates has gotten worse year by year. I know if I showed attitude or disrespect a coach or an elder I was not going to be able to sit down the rest of the night lol. i dont know if it is change of times or if it is parenting, but things have gotten out of control in alot of aspects between player coach relationships.

Honestly I thik it is the parents I dont thik this generation of parents as a whole do a good job of putting kids in their place and letting them know who is boss too many times kids are allowed to make the decisions and get away with murder, someof these parents need to be locked up for the stuff their kids get away with maybe then they will start to hold their kids accountable for their actions

QUOTE(icecold06 @ Feb 22 2007 - 11:54 AM) 826384524[/snapback]Honestly I thik it is the parents I dont thik this generation of parents as a whole do a good job of putting kids in their place and letting them know who is boss too many times kids are allowed to make the decisions and get away with murder, someof these parents need to be locked up for the stuff their kids get away with maybe then they will start to hold their kids accountable for their actions

Very well said and put. I am only 25 but I was held accountable. i know I fall in this generation but kids get worse and worse each and every year.

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ Feb 22 2007 - 01:12 PM) 826384626[/snapback].

Very well said and put. I am only 25 but I was held accountable. i know I fall in this generation but kids get worse and worse each and every year.

Yes I am 26 and my parents didnt take any crap off of me at all and my dad never question anything my basketball coach did at least not in front of me he didnt because his concern was not about how much playing time I was getting he was more concerned about me making good grades staying out of trouble and being able to go to college to get an education.

So here is my suggestion to all parent swho think they know how to runa basketball program or any sports program for that matter, stop watching sportscenter and thinking your child's coach is supposed to be the next Roy Williams get off of your duff and go coach somewhere if you think you know everything there is to know about coaching