Shot Clock

BR549

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

High School Basketball is a stepping stone for College just like Middle School is a stepping stone for High School. AAU uses a shot clock and so should high school. It speeds up the game and makes it a lot more enjoyable to watch. If you want to see kids playing keep away, go to your local elementary school during recess!!!

QUOTE(rolltide418 @ Feb 23 2007 - 09:14 AM) 826385571[/snapback]The absence of a shot clock gives every team a chance. The presence of a shot clock in my opinion reduces the chances of a team pulling an upset.

I say leave the game the way it is. Even after watching two teams hold it in a second overtime period that's my stance.

the game starts 0-0 both teams have a chance from the beginning.......its really a mute subject in that, the school systems cant afford the addition. also it can be argued both ways , but the truth is that having shot clocks would more prepare the kids for the tempo of the next level of play and thats really where the debate should begin. because, like shot clock ,dont like it, really doesnt matter, if the kids get the opportunity to play at the next level they'll be playing with shot clocks. If they dont get to play at the next level, unless they have played AAU, it will be one aspect of the game that they have missed. For us older folks its sort of like when it was said that girls will never be able to play full court basketball (5-on-5 rather than 3-on-3 half court) I cant remember all the reasons ,I was just a kid(didnt mean to stray from the subject). Also the box score minded parents should like them better because of the possibility of more shots to be taken

QUOTE(JACKETDAD @ Feb 23 2007 - 09:03 AM) 826385640[/snapback]High School Basketball is a stepping stone for College just like Middle School is a stepping stone for High School. AAU uses a shot clock and so should high school.It speeds up the game and makes it a lot more enjoyable to watch. If you want to see kids playing keep away, go to your local elementary school during recess!!!

That's an opinion which you are more than entitled to. The only reason this ever comes up is that sometimes a team will hold the ball while the defense sits back in a zone and refuses to come out and guard. In the vast majority of games played in a season it's a non-issue. In regards to high school basketball being a stepping stone for college basketball I would agree although not every high school player is going to play college basketball. However, I would think that most high school players that plan on playing college ball ( especially D-1 ) play some form of AAU. The shot clock won't be new to them and if a player is good enough to play at the college level the shot clock is a minor adjustment anyway.

QUOTE(BR549 @ Feb 22 2007 - 09:32 PM) 826385251[/snapback]I would like to hear some opinions on having the shot clock in place at the High School level. I don't really care that the game could be sped up a bit if it were in effect. If I were a referee, I could see a benefit. This thought came from playing against Moore County recently. They held the ball at midcourt for almost 3 minutes waiting on us to come and get it.

I asked this same question after my team played a tournament in California. When preparing for the tournament, we thought the shot clock would be an issue, but it never became one. In my opinion, those who oppose the shot clock are those people who think that coaches should control the game. With a shot clock, it put pressure on players to run their offenses and defenses. I think the clock will make the game more interesting. Also there are several states that use the shot clock, so in my opinion, they are better preparing their players for the next level. I am reading that many people believe that it is not important to prepare every player as if they are going to be D-1 players. We prepare all students as if they are going to college so why not prepare all players as if they are going to play college ball? Again just my opinion.

I asked this same question after my team played a tournament in California. When preparing for the tournament, we thought the shot clock would be an issue, but it never became one. In my opinion, those who oppose the shot clock are those people who think that coaches should control the game. With a shot clock, it put pressure on players to run their offenses and defenses. I think the clock will make the game more interesting. Also there are several states that use the shot clock, so in my opinion, they are better preparing their players for the next level. I am reading that many people believe that it is not important to prepare every player as if they are going to be D-1 players. We prepare all students as if they are going to college so why not prepare all players as if they are going to play college ball? Again just my opinion. [/qoute]

Good points. If a shot clock ever was implemented there would be an inital outcry but it would likely pass. One concern coaches may have is getting someone good to run the shotclock on a consistant basis. I've done this for a D-2 Woman's game at a local university and , much like a referee, sometimes it comes down to a judgement call. Was there a change of possession ? Did the ball hit the rim ? You have to be right on top of it. If someone was going to do this it needs to be done correctly because it would have a direct impact on the game.

All said, I still really don't get how a shot clock makes a player that much better in terms of being an attractive college recruit but there are worse things that could happen to high school basketball. My point is I don't think a shot clock would have that much of an effect on those kids good enough to play college ball at any level........but especially D-1

What is the percentage of players that are actually going to play at the college level?

I just don't see the shot clock making our game any better. I feel like it's very interesting to see the contrast of styles meet in high school ball. Some teams run and some teams slow down. You won't get that much contrast in style if the clock were put in to effect.

The game is FINE as it is..........let's not mess with it.

I'm for the shot clock..........I think the last poster said" The game is FINE as it is..........let's not mess with it" but I believe that's what some folks said when girls played 3 on 3 half court or even when the 3 point shot was introduced.

Whether you folks want to acknowledge it or not high school basketball is evolving and times are changing and I believe those folks who are trying to find ways to improve the game to keep up with the changing times will eventually implement the shot clock.

I look at like this, the shot cannot & will not make a player/team better or worse as many of suggest but the shot clock will force Coaches who don't want to actually coach, come up with strategy and game plans to actually win games, especially at the end when it could become a foul shooting contest. I think the shot clock would allow players to actually think about what's going on on the floor, contrary to popular belief, basketball is about smarts just as much as it is about talent.

I think a good ideal would be to have a district that is willing to try it out experiment and see if it would work. It wouldn't even have to be for a whole season, maybe during tournament time or a Christmas tournament. I think anything is worth trying before we say it won't work.