Forrest vs Van Buren

meg25

QUOTE(eaglebro @ Mar 2 2007 - 11:36 PM) 826397861[/snapback]Coach Binkley isn't going anywhere. This is his where he went to school and where he wants to be. Coach Russell is a volunteer and is welcome back as long as she wants to be. It is Van Buren policy that a coach be employed by the school system. In the past, when others have coached teams, be it elementary or high school, there was an employee listed as head coach and outside volunteers helped them. Name one coach who has been paid that wasn't an employee of the school system. I don't want to sound like I don't like coach Russell or think that she didn't do a great job. I know she knows how much everyone appreciated her help and the job she did. I'm just stating the facts as they have been presented to me. In order for her to have a head coaching job by TSSAA requirements, she needs 4 more years of volunteering as an assistant. In order for her to be a paid coach at Spencer, she must have a position with the Van Buren County Board of Education. No she doesn't have to be a teacher, she could be a secretary, janitor, teacher, substitute, cook, bus driver, or one of the administrative positions. Except for principal, the principal can not be head coach, it is also against board policy. Once again, I'm for supporting both coaches and all the players that are back next season. As for coach Binkley hiring a friend, I know he doesn't have the authority or desire to hire anyone. That is the job of the Superintendent. Now instead of griping and complaining, lets be appreciative of what the school has accomplished this year. The Elementary Girls finished second in their league. The Elementary boys finished second in the White County tournament. The junior high girls finished with just 2 or 3 losses and won a game in the state tournament for the first time ever. Our junior high boys had the best record they have had in a long time. The high school boys won about twenty games and made it to region and the high school girls won 20 games and made it to the second round of regions. Not a bad record overall. Plenty to be excited about. Now if you want to contact the superintendent and complain about something, why not complain about a new gym. It is a shame that both of our junior high teams and both of our high school teams have to share time in one gym. Another gym, with possibly a weight room, would sure help all of our teams alot more than a new high school girls coach.

THanks for saying about coach Binkley. As for coach Russell I am sure she would be a substitue or a bus driver or something so she could be a head coach if coach Binkley ever leaves. I know she doesn't work all the time so she can sub or drive a bus. I am sure she would do that for hte team. I hope she comes back this next year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoopster u r wrong. 1985 REX SLATTON took the JR. HIGH Girls to the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME aganist YORK INST. the second loss only that year. ROGER SCOTT took the JR. HIGH boys to the championship game the next year and yes they won the JR. HIGH CHAMPIONSHIP. Neither team has been been given a banner that is a shame. Now back to the matter at hand. how do u know he isn't going anywhere i say he will stay at least two more years and coach one player. The two coaches i listed did noy put up with a bunch of cursing or trying to take some other girls head off. Disipline that is what he lacks lhe can't control these two girls well now just one. HOOPSTER if u want to see a coach go to PICKETT COUNTY when they play TEMPLE he will show u how to coach a game. You know we USED to have him at our SCHOOL but we could'nt hold him. If we are not careful the same thing will happen here.To be a good coach u need to be a good ball player she was according to her husband he said she was unbeliveable. She got a FOUR year scholarship to play college basketball. Can our current coach say that no because I saw him play ball in school he wasn't that good. He plays only GUARD basketball. They don't look inside only fire up a three. They cannot pass a basketball watch the last game they played. We got CRUCIFIED againist SEQ. COUNTY. I think we got beat by 50 points or so. Every girl on that ball team is out of shape. They lack the basic FUNDAMENTALS of BASKETBALL. Their is more to the game than shooting three pointers. This woman would be remarkable as COACH.POLITICS that what runs our COUNTY and that's is running our SCHOOL SYSTEM. PARENTS that is the word. IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE. L et the record speak for itself 7 or 8 years is to long. AMY RUSSELL COACH OF THE LADY EAGLES SOUNDS GOOD.)

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 3 2007 - 12:05 PM) 826398259[/snapback]Hoopster u r wrong. 1985 REX SLATTON took the JR. HIGH Girls to the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME aganist YORK INST. the second loss only that year. ROGER SCOTT took the JR. HIGH boys to the championship game the next year and yes they won the JR. HIGH CHAMPIONSHIP. Neither team has been been given a banner that is a shame. Now back to the matter at hand. how do u know he isn't going anywhere i say he will stay at least two more years and coach one player. The two coaches i listed did noy put up with a bunch of cursing or trying to take some other girls head off. Disipline that is what he lacks lhe can't control these two girls well now just one. HOOPSTER if u want to see a coach go to PICKETT COUNTY when they play TEMPLE he will show u how to coach a game. You know we USED to have him at our SCHOOL but we could'nt hold him. If we are not careful the same thing will happen here.To be a good coach u need to be a good ball player she was according to her husband he said she was unbeliveable. She got a FOUR year scholarship to play college basketball. Can our current coach say that no because I saw him play ball in school he wasn't that good. He plays only GUARD basketball. They don't look inside only fire up a three. They cannot pass a basketball watch the last game they played. We got CRUCIFIED againist SEQ. COUNTY. I think we got beat by 50 points or so. Every girl on that ball team is out of shape. They lack the basic FUNDAMENTALS of BASKETBALL. Their is more to the game than shooting three pointers. This woman would be remarkable as COACH.POLITICS that what runs our COUNTY and that's is running our SCHOOL SYSTEM. PARENTS that is the word. IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE. L et the record speak for itself 7 or 8 years is to long. AMY RUSSELL COACH OF THE LADY EAGLES SOUNDS GOOD.)

Bird 33 why don't you put in for the job?

Go Eaglettes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 3 2007 - 04:11 PM) 826398427[/snapback]The turth does hurt. Anybody but what we got.

The truth is it sounds like someone you want to see play has to sit the bench. Just a guess. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(VBHS1 @ Mar 3 2007 - 04:31 PM) 826398448[/snapback]The truth is it sounds like someone you want to see play has to sit the bench. Just a guess. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I don't have a player. It isn't who the kid is. But it does matter who the parent is. :rolle /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> yes:

From what I understand from this then if Coach B were to leave that all Coach Russell would have to do is sub, drive bus, cook ect, then she could coach. That is great. I am sure she could do any if wanted.

I am sure that she could have any team she wanted and VB is lucky to have her. I hope they keep her on. Being a head coach is the next step.

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 3 2007 - 06:37 PM) 826398538[/snapback]I don't have a player. It isn't who the kid is. But it does matter who the parent is. :rolle /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> yes:

Isn't it great to be from a small town. All my life I've also had to deal with who my parents were, who my siblings are, where I live.. you know what, I rose above that. Maybe you should do the same. Once high school is over, they don't care if your daddy was the principle, teacher, janitor, cook, or bus driver. Please grow up and leave high school behind. Be thankful your child attends Van Buren... if you didn't they probably wouldn't even have a jersey to play in....

My parents talked to a lot of other parents about basketball this weekend. Every one is saying they just do not want to say but Coach B is not coming back. Also they are talking about starting a paper for everyone to sign so Coach R does not leave. She is not going to get to be head coah and is not coming back. If you are reading this please respond if you want to we are going to keep peoples saying on this and take it to the board.

Reading all this makes me even more sure that the school, superintendant and board will make the right decsions.

I think it is obvious what all want. Anyone in VB county and has been around the sporting program knows that they can make happen whatever they want to. I really have enjoyed the many many years of following the boys and girls basketball programs. I think the only mistakes that have been made in the past is letting the good coaches get away. I think that since this has happened before it won't happen again.

Does anyone know when they will officially announce the changes that are going to happen? I know that would help take care of this message board. I am sure from what I have read on this board posted by Eagle bro is that if Coach B gets the principal job he will not be coaching. So the big question now is if all the changes are going to be made. That is the big question mark in this. Does anyone know when the next school board meeting is?

Again I am a mountain native and was around the last time the girls made it this far, it is just too far and between that it happens. With the talent we have coming there is not any reason we cannot repeat this next year.

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 4 2007 - 09:31 PM) 826399980[/snapback]Offer AMY RUSSELL the coaching JOB DIRECTOR OF SCHOOLS AND SCHOOL BOARD. Step aside binkley.

No disrespect to coach b he has done a nice job however, he has bigger and better fish to fry and i think we should grab our next girls varsity coach while we have the chance. I believe she has shown a willingness to dedicate her time to the program and has a real passion for coaching this team. There are not many people out there that are going to have the willingness to take over a small town girls team with the asperations to make them champions. Most people would take the job for other reasons like advancing their own careers. Coach Russell has a career already and coaching is truly a passion. I believe this is the direction VB needs to head and I would gladly sign any petition started for the cause.