Forrest vs Van Buren

meg25

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think you sounded negative at all. The girls have to work hard in the off season to prepare for the up coming season. I am not being negative toward the program either but I feel the coach has to start getting his team ready in the off season and carry it over when the season starts and make sure they are ready for every game. Gleasons coach has to be given some credit for getting his team where they are at as well as the other coaches and teams that made it to state. I think it takes both, the players commitment in the regular season and off season and also the coach running the program. With out both a team be it VB or anyone else will not have what it takes to go all the way.

QUOTE(VB Basketball Fan @ Mar 8 2007 - 03:56 PM) 826405197[/snapback]I do not think you sounded negative at all. The girls have to work hard in the off season to prepare for the up coming season. I am not being negative toward the program either but I feel the coach has to start getting his team ready in the off season and carry it over when the season starts and make sure they are ready for every game. Gleasons coach has to be given some credit for getting his team where they are at as well as the other coaches and teams that made it to state. I think it takes both, the players commitment in the regular season and off season and also the coach running the program. With out both a team be it VB or anyone else will not have what it takes to go all the way.

Agreed.....

The problem with the coach working in the off season with the girls is this--when will anyone know who the next coach will be? I understand that someone has to leave, someone else has to take their place, someone else has to take their place, and then a coach must be hired to take the persons place that took the other persons place that filled the spot of the person that left. Good luck in finding this person as soon as possible...if they are even needed at all????? Regardless of the coach, everyone needs to get to work. As Forest Gump would say, "thats all I got to say about that."

The coach is the problem. I agree that the player needs to MOTIVATE themselves and be a better person and player. I went to alot of games this year what i seen was a TEAM that was out of SHAPE. But let's also look at different things other than being in SHAPE. If u went to the SEQ. COUNTY GAME that was not the PLAYERS fault. That was BAD, BAD COACHING that is the only way u can put it. We got beat by at least 40 POINTS. We barley beat CASCADE and they ain't got NOTHING. MONTERY hasn't got anything and they beat us. Got beat by COMMUNITY they didn't even PLACE in the TOURNMENT. HE lacks DISIPLINE. THAT IS WHY SOME PLAYERS DO WHAT THEY DO ON THE BALL COURT. THEY know HE will do NOTHING. OUR HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS TEAM CANNOT PASS A BASKETBALL. THEY LACK THE SIMPLE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE GAME. Just borrow somes tapes from SCHOOL and watch. BASKETBALL IS A TEAM SPORT. THE problem with this TEAM is the COACH. YOU CAN AGREE OR DISAGREE. HIS WINNING PER. IS WELL BELOW .500 BASED ON 7 YEARS AT 30 GAMES PER YEAR. LET'S GET US A NEW GIRLS BASKETBALL COACH. STEP ASIDE BLINKEY

does anyone really have a clue about what the actual situation is with next years coaching. i heard that coach b is taking another position and will not be able to coach. we really need to figure out a way to keep coach russell very involved in the program... has anyone even contacted her to even see if she is interested in any of this? i really believe given a chance coach r would do a great job, why not try to find a way to give her a chance. i would really like to get some solid answers and would like to be able to get in contact with coach r.

I forgot about the game aganist MTCS at the TOURNMENT HE IS THE ONE TO BLAME FOR THAT LOSS. HE BLEW IT. The losing PERCENTAGE is BASED on WINNING 14 GAMES A YEAR. That would make HIS RECORD 98-112. Over a 7 YEAR period. IF u don't preform at YOUR JOB u would be REPLACED. It's TIME TO REPLACE HIM. KONE look at page 5 and READ.

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 9 2007 - 05:26 PM) 826406564[/snapback]I forgot about the game aganist MTCS at the TOURNMENT HE IS THE ONE TO BLAME FOR THAT LOSS. HE BLEW IT. The losing PERCENTAGE is BASED on WINNING 14 GAMES A YEAR. That would make HIS RECORD 98-112. Over a 7 YEAR period. IF u don't preform at YOUR JOB u would be REPLACED. It's TIME TO REPLACE HIM. KONE look at page 5 and READ.

bird if you spent as much time & energy with your player as you put into downing the coach, she wouldn't need a coach, she'd be unstoppable.... I think every person that has read this board understands how you feel and you don't want to listen to anyone else... so please, give it up!! if you aren't satisfied with the program, find another one.. if you're player is as good as you think they are, they shouldn't have trouble fitting in with some other school.....

Way to go to the Eagles for the games they won this year.!!!

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 9 2007 - 05:26 PM) 826406564[/snapback]I forgot about the game aganist MTCS at the TOURNMENT HE IS THE ONE TO BLAME FOR THAT LOSS. HE BLEW IT. The losing PERCENTAGE is BASED on WINNING 14 GAMES A YEAR. That would make HIS RECORD 98-112. Over a 7 YEAR period. IF u don't preform at YOUR JOB u would be REPLACED. It's TIME TO REPLACE HIM. KONE look at page 5 and READ.

This is my very first post I usually only read what everyone else has to say but I'm very put off by all of the speculations that have arisen. I would also like to respond to some very specific comments made by Bird 33. First of all, you use some funny math for your percentage. Most years our girls ball team does not play 30 games and there have been very few years if any that we haven't won at least 14 games and years like this one that we won 20. So by my calculations Coach Binkley is over 500. I would also like to point out that we had some great wins this year. For instance, beating Celina for the first time since the 1970's, beating Forest the defending state champs and making it to the second round of regional tournament. Way to go Coach B and girls.

Another belief you seem to have is that to be a good coach you have to be a good player. How about Coach Roy Whited who led the White Co. Warriors to state titles and never even played high school ball much less college? Or is he not good either Bird 33? As for the speculations about Coach Amy, I have some problems with several of the things you have said. Coach Amy has done a wonderful job this year with team building and motivation which was her role. Coach Amy has not run any of the practices or game plans to the best of my knowledge. Once again no offense to Coach Amy but you don't know what she is or is not capable of you are basing your opinion on the "warm fuzzy" feelings she has worked on with the girls not basketball. It is also silly to speculate that she could be head coach. I have done some research and being a substitute is not a full time board employee and therefore could not be a full time coach. Coach Amy has a great, full time job with the Federal Gov't., I do not think she would give that up to coach. There is NO WAY that she could continue that job and Coach. Her work schedule would not allow her to make 3:00 practices and to be on that bus with those girls to head out for EVERY away game. There are plenty of games that our bus leaves right after school or earlier. I do not think Coach Amy can make it from her job in Chattanooga to handle that schedule. As for if Coach B is going any where or not all of you are just speculating. No one knows who may be retiring, resigning and/or not rehired by the Van Buren Board and until those jobs are posted this summer all of you are just guessing. Why not just wait and see what happens instead of starting rumors? Furthermore, a Coach is just a Coach. The rest is in the hands of the players and no offense to the players, but are you working as hard as you can? Are you playing AAU in the off season? Are you working out on your own? Are you going to Open Gym? Bird 33 seems to think that you are because everything is the Coach's fault. Girls, I do applaud you for a great season and I can't wait to yell for you next season no matter what the situation. I'll be there cheering you on, not yelling about the Coach and complaining about you, because I am an Actual Eagle Fan not a disgruntled parent.

QUOTE(Actual Eagle Fan @ Mar 10 2007 - 01:01 PM) 826407266[/snapback]This is my very first post I usually only read what everyone else has to say but I'm very put off by all of the speculations that have arisen. I would also like to respond to some very specific comments made by Bird 33. First of all, you use some funny math for your percentage. Most years our girls ball team does not play 30 games and there have been very few years if any that we haven't won at least 14 games and years like this one that we won 20. So by my calculations Coach Binkley is over 500. I would also like to point out that we had some great wins this year. For instance, beating Celina for the first time since the 1970's, beating Forest the defending state champs and making it to the second round of regional tournament. Way to go Coach B and girls.

Another belief you seem to have is that to be a good coach you have to be a good player. How about Coach Roy Whited who led the White Co. Warriors to state titles and never even played high school ball much less college? Or is he not good either Bird 33? As for the speculations about Coach Amy, I have some problems with several of the things you have said. Coach Amy has done a wonderful job this year with team building and motivation which was her role. Coach Amy has not run any of the practices or game plans to the best of my knowledge. Once again no offense to Coach Amy but you don't know what she is or is not capable of you are basing your opinion on the "warm fuzzy" feelings she has worked on with the girls not basketball. It is also silly to speculate that she could be head coach. I have done some research and being a substitute is not a full time board employee and therefore could not be a full time coach. Coach Amy has a great, full time job with the Federal Gov't., I do not think she would give that up to coach. There is NO WAY that she could continue that job and Coach. Her work schedule would not allow her to make 3:00 practices and to be on that bus with those girls to head out for EVERY away game. There are plenty of games that our bus leaves right after school or earlier. I do not think Coach Amy can make it from her job in Chattanooga to handle that schedule. As for if Coach B is going any where or not all of you are just speculating. No one knows who may be retiring, resigning and/or not rehired by the Van Buren Board and until those jobs are posted this summer all of you are just guessing. Why not just wait and see what happens instead of starting rumors? Furthermore, a Coach is just a Coach. The rest is in the hands of the players and no offense to the players, but are you working as hard as you can? Are you playing AAU in the off season? Are you working out on your own? Are you going to Open Gym? Bird 33 seems to think that you are because everything is the Coach's fault. Girls, I do applaud you for a great season and I can't wait to yell for you next season no matter what the situation. I'll be there cheering you on, not yelling about the Coach and complaining about you, because I am an Actual Eagle Fan not a disgruntled parent.

I am one also that has enjoyed the reading of this forum. I have to say I am a proud parent of one of the girls that achieved what they did this past year. I am not afraid to admit it. I will say that I am not happy with the remarks in this forum.

I am in different to the coaching in the years to come. But what I do feel strongly about is when we do get a volunteer to help and to not recognize them. I will say after reading this and going to all the games........Coach Russell was at EVERY game away and at home......she did more than give the girls motivation and "warm" fuzzy's. I don't know what capacity she will be in next year but it will be a shame not to ask her back as at a minimum an assistant. She is dedicated to this program with no strings attached. I also have had my daughter tell me she is at open gym's whenever the girls ask and she is willing to help them with whatever.

Please find out the facts before you bash. Also, as I observed the games I believe Coach B relied heavily on her suggestions and input. If not ask him if she was just one to give 'warm fuzzy's" and motivation. I don't think that is correct, or maybe you just didn't go to enough games. She is dedicated for not getting paid and not having a child involved.

QUOTE(VBallsportsfan @ Mar 11 2007 - 10:34 AM) 826407989[/snapback]I am one also that has enjoyed the reading of this forum. I have to say I am a proud parent of one of the girls that achieved what they did this past year. I am not afraid to admit it. I will say that I am not happy with the remarks in this forum.

I am in different to the coaching in the years to come. But what I do feel strongly about is when we do get a volunteer to help and to not recognize them. I will say after reading this and going to all the games........Coach Russell was at EVERY game away and at home......she did more than give the girls motivation and "warm" fuzzy's. I don't know what capacity she will be in next year but it will be a shame not to ask her back as at a minimum an assistant. She is dedicated to this program with no strings attached. I also have had my daughter tell me she is at open gym's whenever the girls ask and she is willing to help them with whatever.

Please find out the facts before you bash. Also, as I observed the games I believe Coach B relied heavily on her suggestions and input. If not ask him if she was just one to give 'warm fuzzy's" and motivation. I don't think that is correct, or maybe you just didn't go to enough games. She is dedicated for not getting paid and not having a child involved.

First of all I have not said anything against Coach Amy and bashed anyone with the exception of possibly whoever Bird 33 is. I apologize to HER if she may have read my post and thought that. If you look back at my previous post to get YOUR facts straight, I said I believe Coach Amy did a wonderful job. I truly applaud anyone who so freely gives of their time to help kids especially when it does not involve their own children but just out of their love for kids and sports. So, thank you Coach Amy. I also never accused her of missing games or open gym. If you read my post it said with her employment situation it would be impossible to make 3 p.m. practices and be on that bus to RIDE with the girls to the games. When you are a coach you have to be the first in the gym and the las one out and be able to be at the school if problems arise, for scheduling, etc. I have personally asked those involved with the team and at the school and as far as they know Coach Amy is welcome back with open arms in the voluntary capacity if she so desires. Bird 33 is the one that started the speculation and strife by accusing the Coach and school officials of not hiring her back when she was never hired in the first place. Everything she does is as a volunteer and makes her more special in my book. The bottom line is this, it does not matter what TSSAA policy is it cannot supercede additiional rules of the Board. Coach Amy CANNOT be a full time paid coach in Van Buren County unless she is a full time teacher. It is absolutely ridiculous to keep trying to stir that up no matter what your feelings are about the current coach. Bird 33 has in my opinion hurt the team no matter who the Coach is by causing rumors, insulting specific players and the Coach. He/She has sounded like a broken record, Hire Amy Russell, Talk to the Board, etc. when this cannot happen. The season is over it is time to start fresh. We need to quit speculating and start supporting. Coach Binkley or whoever the head coach is good luck this year. Coach Amy I hope to see you on the bench supporting our athletes. Girls work hard in the offseason and please do not listen to all of these nasty rumors. Bird 33 grow up!

QUOTE(go eagles go @ Mar 9 2007 - 09:49 PM) 826406751[/snapback]bird if you spent as much time & energy with your player as you put into downing the coach, she wouldn't need a coach, she'd be unstoppable.... I think every person that has read this board understands how you feel and you don't want to listen to anyone else... so please, give it up!! if you aren't satisfied with the program, find another one.. if you're player is as good as you think they are, they shouldn't have trouble fitting in with some other school.....

Way to go to the Eagles for the games they won this year.!!!

If our girls can work hard enough to be unstoppable next year, it's going to make any coach's job much easier. It would be absolutely awesome if Van Buren County could produce a "Miss Basketball" finalist. Set your goals high girls!!

QUOTE(Actual Eagle Fan @ Mar 11 2007 - 08:40 PM) 826408453[/snapback]First of all I have not said anything against Coach Amy and bashed anyone with the exception of possibly whoever Bird 33 is. I apologize to HER if she may have read my post and thought that. If you look back at my previous post to get YOUR facts straight, I said I believe Coach Amy did a wonderful job. I truly applaud anyone who so freely gives of their time to help kids especially when it does not involve their own children but just out of their love for kids and sports. So, thank you Coach Amy. I also never accused her of missing games or open gym. If you read my post it said with her employment situation it would be impossible to make 3 p.m. practices and be on that bus to RIDE with the girls to the games. When you are a coach you have to be the first in the gym and the las one out and be able to be at the school if problems arise, for scheduling, etc. I have personally asked those involved with the team and at the school and as far as they know Coach Amy is welcome back with open arms in the voluntary capacity if she so desires. Bird 33 is the one that started the speculation and strife by accusing the Coach and school officials of not hiring her back when she was never hired in the first place. Everything she does is as a volunteer and makes her more special in my book. The bottom line is this, it does not matter what TSSAA policy is it cannot supercede additiional rules of the Board. Coach Amy CANNOT be a full time paid coach in Van Buren County unless she is a full time teacher. It is absolutely ridiculous to keep trying to stir that up no matter what your feelings are about the current coach. Bird 33 has in my opinion hurt the team no matter who the Coach is by causing rumors, insulting specific players and the Coach. He/She has sounded like a broken record, Hire Amy Russell, Talk to the Board, etc. when this cannot happen. The season is over it is time to start fresh. We need to quit speculating and start supporting. Coach Binkley or whoever the head coach is good luck this year. Coach Amy I hope to see you on the bench supporting our athletes. Girls work hard in the offseason and please do not listen to all of these nasty rumors. Bird 33 grow up!

I only get a chance to read and get on here every few days. I too never thought I would post messages, but this is important. I guess Bird is done resopnding and going on and on. He/She has been putting their opinion and has been heard.

TO reply to the above post, I read your initial post as saying Coach Russell's "ROLE" was only to motivate and give 'warm fuzzy's'. That is what bothered me, she did more than that and I agree, she did do a tremendous job.

As for rumors..............can someone please verify to me what is going on? Coaching? Not coaching? Most importantly........does anyone know when school board meetings are?

How do we get a voice heard in this community?

To also reply to Wooden.........I agree 100 percent the girls need to dedicate themselves to this program. But there has to be a 'chief' leading the indians. If the coach doesn't give them guidance and direction to go..........how do they know? Not all girls are fortunate enough to get asked to play on an AAU team. NOT all of us have "connections". But my daugther does strive to be better. She has tried to go to "open gyms" only to find that it is a court full of boys. None of the girls step up and commit.

A leader of the team should at least give direction to these girls. That is my only concern I have about being a coach.......we need someone be it Binkley or whoever that will take these girls and give that desire and dedication. Say what is expected of you. I do believe from what I have heard from the "girls" that is something Coach Russell was working with them on. We need to build on that.

But to all of those that keep reading this........when is the next board meeting? When is an "announcement" going to be made one way or another on what is happening with this program? Is this all just rumors? Is Coach B coming back or NOT??

I know that there are many who do know what is going on that read these posts....so SPEAK up.