Forrest vs Van Buren

meg25

QUOTE(VBallsportsfan @ Mar 13 2007 - 01:03 PM) 826410334[/snapback]I only get a chance to read and get on here every few days. I too never thought I would post messages, but this is important. I guess Bird is done resopnding and going on and on. He/She has been putting their opinion and has been heard.

TO reply to the above post, I read your initial post as saying Coach Russell's "ROLE" was only to motivate and give 'warm fuzzy's'. That is what bothered me, she did more than that and I agree, she did do a tremendous job.

As for rumors..............can someone please verify to me what is going on? Coaching? Not coaching? Most importantly........does anyone know when school board meetings are?

How do we get a voice heard in this community?

To also reply to Wooden.........I agree 100 percent the girls need to dedicate themselves to this program. But there has to be a 'chief' leading the indians. If the coach doesn't give them guidance and direction to go..........how do they know? Not all girls are fortunate enough to get asked to play on an AAU team. NOT all of us have "connections". But my daugther does strive to be better. She has tried to go to "open gyms" only to find that it is a court full of boys. None of the girls step up and commit.

A leader of the team should at least give direction to these girls. That is my only concern I have about being a coach.......we need someone be it Binkley or whoever that will take these girls and give that desire and dedication. Say what is expected of you. I do believe from what I have heard from the "girls" that is something Coach Russell was working with them on. We need to build on that.

But to all of those that keep reading this........when is the next board meeting? When is an "announcement" going to be made one way or another on what is happening with this program? Is this all just rumors? Is Coach B coming back or NOT??

I know that there are many who do know what is going on that read these posts....so SPEAK up.

I just wanted to let you know if you want your daughter to play AAU many places have open try out dates to get on a team. There are some that take place in Cookeville. If you look on Coach T, he will also post about such dates. You do not have to have "connections" to get on a team. I'm sure if you ask around someone will let you know and like I said read on Coach T and he will inform you of nearby places with openings. Most kids I know on AAU teams are invited by coaches of teams who have seen them play. As for the open gym, etc. TSSAA has rules about when you can and cannot practice and that is one of the reasons girls cannot be forced to come to open gyms. Many of them also have other committments, volleyball, softball,etc. As for the boys in open gym, have your daughter to play with them. I guarantee she'll get better no matter what the rest of the girls do. Coach Pat Head Summitt makes her girls practice with boy partners to get better and I personally think she knows more about women's basketball than anyone. As for what is happening with positions, I have no idea and I'm sure no one else knows anything official; if they say they do I'm sure their speculating. Any school board will not do hiring, firing, or repositioning until summer. That goes for any where unless there is an immediate vacancy. Teacher/Coaches contracts are signed in summer. The School Board meetings are always posted in the newspaper. I do not know when the next one will be but I imagine if you called the Newspaper they could tell you, but as I said they don't do new hiring until summer. As for my prior comment about Coach Russell's job, I only meant that she did not have the duties/responsibilities of a head coach. I was responding to the fact that Bird 33 kept talking about how wonderful she would be as a head coach and I'm not saying she wouldn't but what was he/she basing it on? Once again I mean this in no slant to Coach Amy. The girls love her but has she ever had to discipline them, make them run or cut back playing time? If that were to happen would Bird 33's position be the same as well as some others who have posted? It's real easy to think the grass is greener on the other side but after we get there it's usually not. Besides, as previously stated she can't be unless she is a full time teacher at the school so why bring it up? Right now, those girls need to keep their heads up, be working out and getting ready for next year. Let the board worry about the Coaches. Players are ultimately responsible for themselves just like all individuals are. If a player wants to get better they will. I agree they need guidance in coaching but a good dose of hard work and desire will take them a long way on their own. You girls can do anything YOU WANT TO DO!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If u can't see the difference from this year and the PAST 6 YEARS u must be BLIND. AMY RUSSELL is the DIFFERENCE. YOU have the right to AGREE or DISAGREE. BUT the onlyWAY he WILL EVER GET TO THE STATE TOURNAMENT IS BUY A TICKET. The next BOARD MEETING is in APRIL . I don't know day but i will find out and I WILL BE THERE. Call the DIRECTOR and let him know that u want a CHANGE. THEY are LOOKING for a GIRLS BASKETBALL COACH. ACCORDING TO THE SCHOOL BOARD. ACTUAL EAGLE FAN I HAVE GROWN UP. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> EAGLE FAN SINCE U KNOW HIM SO GREAT ASK HIM HIS COACHING RECORD POST IT ON THIS SITE LET'S JUST SEE IF HE HAS A WINNING RECORD. STEP ASIDE binkley IT'S PAST TIME.

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 15 2007 - 07:27 PM) 826413353[/snapback]If u can't see the difference from this year and the PAST 6 YEARS u must be BLIND. AMY RUSSELL is the DIFFERENCE. YOU have the right to AGREE or DISAGREE. BUT the onlyWAY he WILL EVER GET TO THE STATE TOURNAMENT IS BUY A TICKET. The next BOARD MEETING is in APRIL . I don't know day but i will find out and I WILL BE THERE. Call the DIRECTOR and let him know that u want a CHANGE. THEY are LOOKING for a GIRLS BASKETBALL COACH. ACCORDING TO THE SCHOOL BOARD. ACTUAL EAGLE FAN I HAVE GROWN UP. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> EAGLE FAN SINCE U KNOW HIM SO GREAT ASK HIM HIS COACHING RECORD POST IT ON THIS SITE LET'S JUST SEE IF HE HAS A WINNING RECORD. STEP ASIDE binkley IT'S PAST TIME.

Now, not only are you a mathematics whiz that pulls winning percentages out of thin air, you're a fortune teller too. I checked the board's web site and there are NO job postings of positions available. I don't know where you get your information but apparently its not public knowledge. I have checked his percentage and it is over 500, which is much more than we can say for any other girl's coaches at VBHS in any recent years. I don't care who the coach is but I think the more you run your mouth the less likely that IF the position does come open we'll find someone willing to fill it that will put in the effort and stick around. I can't imagine putting the time it requires for so little money and having to listen to wise guys like you not only bash me but talk about my players online. I know I wouldn't want that job. Maybe you do but then again you probably don't have the education required to apply for the position. It's hard enough to read other schools putting down your players but when your hometown folks do it, it's just plain embarrassing. This is especially true when they are like you sounding like a broken record. If you want to say it is the coach's fault our team lost a game, fine, but back it up with facts. Don't say he lost the MTCS game and not give a reason for your opinion. I say he did not lose that game but our program did as a whole. We got in foul trouble and we didn't hit crucial foul shots in the second half. See how easy it is. Voice an opinion and give a reason. Don't bash coaches and players based on your personal feelings.

QUOTE(Actual Eagle Fan @ Mar 16 2007 - 09:55 AM) 826414039[/snapback]Now, not only are you a mathematics whiz that pulls winning percentages out of thin air, you're a fortune teller too. I checked the board's web site and there are NO job postings of positions available. I don't know where you get your information but apparently its not public knowledge. I have checked his percentage and it is over 500, which is much more than we can say for any other girl's coaches at VBHS in any recent years. I don't care who the coach is but I think the more you run your mouth the less likely that IF the position does come open we'll find someone willing to fill it that will put in the effort and stick around. I can't imagine putting the time it requires for so little money and having to listen to wise guys like you not only bash me but talk about my players online. I know I wouldn't want that job. Maybe you do but then again you probably don't have the education required to apply for the position. It's hard enough to read other schools putting down your players but when your hometown folks do it, it's just plain embarrassing. This is especially true when they are like you sounding like a broken record. If you want to say it is the coach's fault our team lost a game, fine, but back it up with facts. Don't say he lost the MTCS game and not give a reason for your opinion. I say he did not lose that game but our program did as a whole. We got in foul trouble and we didn't hit crucial foul shots in the second half. See how easy it is. Voice an opinion and give a reason. Don't bash coaches and players based on your personal feelings.

Wow, once again it has been a few days since I have gotten on here to check answers to my questions. Thanks for the info on the board date in April. I guess it is also safe to say that as I read this posting that Coach Binkley is responding to this....as Actual Fan........in the middle of this posting you state "me" I quote your saying "I can't imagine putting the time it requires for so little money and having to listen to wise guys like you not only bash me but talk about my players online"...........so what gives Coach B.........just answer the burning question..........are you returning or not?

I think that you did a good job...........the girls went much furhter than expected without Jaleta. Thanks........ I look forward to watching them again next year, but can you answer the burning question? Why is it so confidential?

QUOTE(VBallsportsfan @ Mar 16 2007 - 10:42 AM) 826414091[/snapback]Wow, once again it has been a few days since I have gotten on here to check answers to my questions. Thanks for the info on the board date in April. I guess it is also safe to say that as I read this posting that Coach Binkley is responding to this....as Actual Fan........in the middle of this posting you state "me" I quote your saying "I can't imagine putting the time it requires for so little money and having to listen to wise guys like you not only bash me but talk about my players online"...........so what gives Coach B.........just answer the burning question..........are you returning or not?

I think that you did a good job...........the girls went much furhter than expected without Jaleta. Thanks........ I look forward to watching them again next year, but can you answer the burning question? Why is it so confidential?

Hmm, how do you know I'm not the coach, sports fan???? /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

If you had read the post with an open mind, then you would have understood the first person comment.

Since all on this post are so knowledgable & predictable, please let me know the forcast for Florida in June, so I can know what week to plan a vacation.

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 15 2007 - 07:27 PM) 826413353[/snapback]If u can't see the difference from this year and the PAST 6 YEARS u must be BLIND. AMY RUSSELL is the DIFFERENCE. YOU have the right to AGREE or DISAGREE. BUT the onlyWAY he WILL EVER GET TO THE STATE TOURNAMENT IS BUY A TICKET. The next BOARD MEETING is in APRIL . I don't know day but i will find out and I WILL BE THERE. Call the DIRECTOR and let him know that u want a CHANGE. THEY are LOOKING for a GIRLS BASKETBALL COACH. ACCORDING TO THE SCHOOL BOARD. ACTUAL EAGLE FAN I HAVE GROWN UP. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> EAGLE FAN SINCE U KNOW HIM SO GREAT ASK HIM HIS COACHING RECORD POST IT ON THIS SITE LET'S JUST SEE IF HE HAS A WINNING RECORD. STEP ASIDE binkley IT'S PAST TIME.

Bird, you would scare people off to even apply for the job. Who would want to coach with a fan like you???????????

QUOTE(VBallsportsfan @ Mar 16 2007 - 10:42 AM) 826414091[/snapback]Wow, once again it has been a few days since I have gotten on here to check answers to my questions. Thanks for the info on the board date in April. I guess it is also safe to say that as I read this posting that Coach Binkley is responding to this....as Actual Fan........in the middle of this posting you state "me" I quote your saying "I can't imagine putting the time it requires for so little money and having to listen to wise guys like you not only bash me but talk about my players online"...........so what gives Coach B.........just answer the burning question..........are you returning or not?

I can't answer that question because I am NOT Coach Binkley. If you read my posts you would have figured that out. I told you I'm not a parent, I'm not a player and I'm not a coach. I am someone who is fed up with folks running down high school girls and Coaches for their own personal gain. If you look at my post again you'll find that I said I wouldn't want to coach because I couldn't put up with folks like Bird 33 knowing how much time and effort it took with few rewards. The point was that I think his/her negativity is hurting the team. As I've said before I don't think anything is confidential and I don't know where you guys get your information but job openings in teaching positions don't come up in March and April. If you don't believe me take a look at the Van Buren website or newspaper. I did and didn't see any job listings. I think the girls and Coach B did an exceptional job and Coach Amy helped. If Bird 33 thinks this years team's success was all due to Coach Amy and not a combination of the three then why didn't Coach Amy keep them from losing those games that coaching lost, Bird 33? Just curious? I think the burning question is, "What's your problem Bird 33?" Either you are a family member of a girl who is not satisified with playing time or you're just a high school kid yourself. I think it is ridiculous that all of these questions of Coach Binkley's return are hinged on statements made by someone who posts things like Bird 33 has posted. No one else has said Coach Amy and Coach Binkley aren't coming back.

ACTUAL EAGLE FAN THERE IS NO WAY YOU ARE OVER 500 IN WINS. POST THE RECORDS. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU WON A DISTRICT TOURNAMENT. AGANIST MTCS YOU BLEW THE GAME NOT THE PLAYERS LET'S GET THAT RIGHT. YOU DON'T HOLD THE BALL WITH 3-00 AND THEIR WAS LEFT IN THE GAME AND YELL SPREAD,SPREAD,SPREAD. YOU ALSO SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHO WAS GOING TO SHOOT THE BALL . SHE MADE THREES ALL NIGHT LONG. PULLING THE REBOUNDERS FROM FOUL SHOTS IS CRAZY. I FORGOT IT WAS THE PLAYERS. YOU CAN'T EVEN CONTROL 2 BALL PLAYERS FROM CURSING ON THE FLOOR AND BEHEADING OTHER BALL PLAYERS. YOU LOST THAT GAME ACTUAL EAGLE FAN. AT 28 GAMES PLAYED A YEAR OVER A SEVEN YEAR PERIOD YOU WOULD NEED TO AVG. 16 WINS A YEAR. THEIR IS NO WAY THAT HAPPENED. STEP ASIDE BINKLEY. THEIR IS ALOT OF PEOPLE FEEL THE SAME WAY I DO. POST THE RECORDS AND HOW MANY TIMES YOU WON THE DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP OR COME IN SECOND OR THIRD OR FOURTH. LAST YEAR WE LOST IN THE FIRST ROUND AT HOME. THE SEQ. COUNTY WAS ANOTHER THING WE WERE OUT COACHED. LOOK AT ALL THE GAMES OUR GIRLS R UNDER COACHED WE CAN'T PASS A BASKETBALL. IT IS TIME FOR A COACH IN VBC. STEP ASIDE AND LET'S SEE THE RECORDS ACTUAL EAGLE FAN.

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 16 2007 - 04:45 PM) 826414410[/snapback]ACTUAL EAGLE FAN THERE IS NO WAY YOU ARE OVER 500 IN WINS. POST THE RECORDS. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU WON A DISTRICT TOURNAMENT. AGANIST MTCS YOU BLEW THE GAME NOT THE PLAYERS LET'S GET THAT RIGHT. YOU DON'T HOLD THE BALL WITH 3-00 AND THEIR WAS LEFT IN THE GAME AND YELL SPREAD,SPREAD,SPREAD. YOU ALSO SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHO WAS GOING TO SHOOT THE BALL . SHE MADE THREES ALL NIGHT LONG. PULLING THE REBOUNDERS FROM FOUL SHOTS IS CRAZY. I FORGOT IT WAS THE PLAYERS. YOU CAN'T EVEN CONTROL 2 BALL PLAYERS FROM CURSING ON THE FLOOR AND BEHEADING OTHER BALL PLAYERS. YOU LOST THAT GAME ACTUAL EAGLE FAN. AT 28 GAMES PLAYED A YEAR OVER A SEVEN YEAR PERIOD YOU WOULD NEED TO AVG. 16 WINS A YEAR. THEIR IS NO WAY THAT HAPPENED. STEP ASIDE BINKLEY. THEIR IS ALOT OF PEOPLE FEEL THE SAME WAY I DO. POST THE RECORDS AND HOW MANY TIMES YOU WON THE DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP OR COME IN SECOND OR THIRD OR FOURTH. LAST YEAR WE LOST IN THE FIRST ROUND AT HOME. THE SEQ. COUNTY WAS ANOTHER THING WE WERE OUT COACHED. LOOK AT ALL THE GAMES OUR GIRLS R UNDER COACHED WE CAN'T PASS A BASKETBALL. IT IS TIME FOR A COACH IN VBC. STEP ASIDE AND LET'S SEE THE RECORDS ACTUAL EAGLE FAN.

Quit saying you. I've already told you with 100% certainty that I AM NOT COACH BINKLEY and wouldn't want to be him thanks to folks like you. I guarantee I didn't lose those games you're talking about because I have never coached a game in my life and don't plan on it. I do not know the record with one hundred percent certainty, so I will not post a random number like you do. I will, however, say that to be at 500 you would have to win 14 games out of 28 per year. I can only think of one, maybe two seasons that VBHS hasn't won at least 14 games in a season out of the last 7 years. This year we're at something like 20 out of 29 games. Years like this put that percentage well over 500. Even though your math is not better at least you did put reasons for your opinion that coaching lost a game. As I have already said I think you're putting players down is terribly tacky. Respond to the folks here without putting down players. You never answer anyone's questions directly. You simply repeat the same old same old time after time. It's getting a little old. I must have hit a nerve with the statement you must be a family member of a player or a high school kid yourself because you failed to respond. I'll take that as my answer.

QUOTE(VBallsportsfan @ Mar 19 2007 - 01:27 PM) 826417613[/snapback]Rumors heard to be true...

Coach Russell will not be coming back next year.

Coach Binkley will be taking the principal job.

They are asking someone to take the coaching position not posting it.

Facts (not rumors)

Ms. Sullivan is the principal, there is not an opening.

Coach Russell is welcomed to come back, whether she will or not is up to her. With the way some people have been, I wouldn't blame her if she didn't come back. She has been around ball teams for a long time and understands the importance of team unity. This was one of her best attributes to this years team, building unity. Now, through no fault of hers, others are trying to destroy what she worked to build and using her as a way to do this. I really wonder if some fans have the whole team at heart or only one or two players.

Finally, there will never be a posting for a coach. These positions are filled by full-time faculty members. At this point, Van Buren does not have any positions that need to be filled. If you want to speculate about what will happen in the future, fine, but understand that with whatever happens, there will never be a posting for a coaching position. There will be postings for teachers, aides, and possibly a principal position. These are jobs within the school system, a coach is only a supplement to whatever other position is held. If there is a coaching change, the person becoming the new coach will either come from within the system already, or be hired to fill whatever position is available. We do not have full time coaches in our school.

Lastly, I want to say the only reason I even comment on this nonsense is because I am sick and tired of people or person (Bird33) running our team and our coach down. Bird33 talks about our player's behavior on the court when his or her behavior hasn't been any better on this board. This person has even gone so far as to point out one or two high school girls. Girls that have been at every practice, run every sprint, competed in every ball game, and still had to put up with an idiot like this person telling them how every thing they do is wrong. Or if there not wrong, how everything their coach tells them to do is wrong. Bird33 talks about our girls being out of shape, I wonder how well he(she) could run up and down a basketball court. Then when he does praise, it is only for one or two players, not the whole team. Bird33 has taken a positive like Coach Russell and used it to create strife (starting the untrue rumor of the school not wanting her back) and create discord (the only reason our girls won was because of her and in spite of Coach Binkley). As a fan and friend of this team, these coaches, and these girls, it irritates me when someone puts any or all of them down. I don't always agree with the coaches. I don't always approve of the effort or actions of the girls. But do I have any right to run them down? Do any of us have that right? Have any of us put as much time and effort into having a successful season as the coaches or the girls? You can't build something up by tearing it down. Support the Coaches, support the players, if you have a problem, talk to the coach in person and if it can't be resolved then talk to his superior. If you have a problem with a player, offer encouragment and suggestions. Don't get on here and bash. If the shoe were on the other foot, how would you feel?

With that all being said, can someone answer me this....

It is obvious that they aren't going or cannot give Coach Russell the head coaching job (IF Coach Binkley) does take the principal job. So why not go another direction with this................

I think it is unanimous what a great job she did this year and she has the girls respect, coaches respect ect........... I believe from what I can tell her and Coach Binkley work well together (of course I only see what I see from the stands....)

Why not offer her an assitant job or another (not head coach bball job) and pay her so she won't go anywhere? I think from the conversations I have heard not only on here but in the public it would be a wise investment. I understand she can't be the head coach but why not the "assistant" varsity coach or something. I am sure the school could come up with a little extra to get her on board. So she will contribute her next four years (from what I read on this board that she has to do) to be a head coach........here at VB, plus it will give everyone an opportunity to see if she is capable of being a head coach. I think that would help all these speculations.

Any word on the school board meeting date in April?