greatest high school player ever?

Guest jwolf

Dang, ya'll are so ignorant. The majority of you are just naming off random GUYS who have accompished something, but are probably just your friends. The best soccer player to come out of TN has got to be Cindy Parlow of the Atlanta Beat/US National Team. She has accomplished more in her short professional career than most All-State players (the whole team) accomplish in their lives. If you don't believe me, look it up for yourself.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played with Grant Paule's Div. 1 men's league team this past year and he's still an amazing player but I would'nt go as far as to say he's the best player out of TN. And yes, he did stop playing soccer at the University of Memphis, not sure why though.

Naming the best player ever is way too hard to break down. My vote would have to go towards Cindy Parlow though. Ross Paule is good but he has not acheived what Parlow has.

The Womens national team scrimmaged a U-15 boys club team from florida several years back......they were beaten 2-1.

Girls and Guys can not be compared.. so saying this... Cindy Parlow is the most accomplished player to come out of tennessee and obviously the best female player. But in no means is she the best of both guys and girls.

You cannot eliminate Cindy Parlow as the best high school player on this comparison. Men do not play against women in this sport. Ask all the greatest high school players from Tennessee to lay out their medals and no one touches Parlow.I played for Memphis FC when Cindy was in the club. Our boys teams would routinely beat the girls teams but we were in awe of Parlow. A few years later at a practice, Cindy pulled up and everyone rushed to see her. She showed her Olympic Gold Medal to us and I was spellbound. Now she has won the World Cup, Olympic Gold and Silver, a couple of NCAA titles at North Carolina. I ask anyone to top this!!

Guest copamundial

Foolishness is coming from the mouths of those of you who say that Matt Herbsritt is the best that Tennessee has ever seen. Don't let my tone fool you by me saying that he is not good; he is. But you would have to compare him to guys like Jamie Clarey of Hendersonville back in 87 or 88, or Mike Irby from Clarksville High School back in 84 or 85. Also Chris Cline from Brentwood and Nick Glaser from Hendersonville, and for girls, Cindy Parlow from Germantown. Throw those names around if anyone knows them. You probably don't because most of them played before message boards existed and were taken over by the players of schools whose teams became good within the past few years. Those guys like Clarey and Irby had to play when the State Championship was and invitational tournament, one class, and dominated by middle Tennessee and the Memphis area. The dominate teams in the east were led by Farragut, Dobyns-Bennett, McCallie, Baylor, NotreDame, Red Bank, and Hixon also.

So no, Matt Herbstritt is not the best Tennessee has had to offer. heck, he's not even out of high school yet.

Do your comparing to the greats. I just named you a long list of schools to choose from, none of which being Bearden.

• 2 weeks later...

Copamundial,

A) Players who play now can not help that there are three state champions, so don't use that against anyone.

:o I dont think can not compare soccer now to soccer in the 1980s in Tennessee. Alot has happened to improve and change everything.

C) Matt Herbstritt is unreal. You have no idea how good he is, and until you do dont be talking like you know.

D) What High School did you go to.

Coach T,

Take a look at this thread, this is one reason why we need

at separate "boys" and "girls" soccer board.....to go along

with the separate links under the Sports Menu to the left......:)

According to what I've seen and experienced since I moved to Tennessee I can say that soccer hasn't really changed that much as far as skill but a great deal in terms of how rough the games were aloud to get by the refs. Soccer was first sanctioned years and years ago. The first state championship was won by Farragut in 1988. The games now are much less aggressive and the refs are less leniate. I've been watching soccer since I first moved to Tennessee in 1985 and was at the title game this past season. Matt Herbstritt is good but not unreal. There has been many, many, many others to do what he did before him. I agree with the guy that mentioned Irby and Glaser. I played for, with, and against Irby even though he graduated way before me and saw him play when in high school when I was little. He was much better than Herbstritt. So was Glaser from Hendersonville. That guy defied gravity it seemed. I won't even get into former Houston or Brentwood players because I could name tons that were better than Herbstritt from those schools all night. It seems the people that claim Herbstritt are only the ones that played with them but believe me those of us thats been around a while longer know whats up. I dont even think he was really the best player this past season....let alone all time. No WAY!