Oneida Lady Indians Bow Out

kazam37

Last night was painful to watch, so it couldn't have been much better on the court. Greenback was able to wreck havoc on the Lady Indians without getting having but one player (#50) in any kind of foul trouble. Hammontree is a great player and she works her butt off, but her hustle should have gotten her in trouble if the Refs had whistled her for obvious infractions. How do you justifiy a no call on the end line with the Oneida player in possession of the ball with Hammontree draped all over her back like a cape and both players fly off the floor. The call: Out of bounds on Oneida, Greenback's ball. I understand the term "let them play", but in the second half, Oneida recieved 7 team fouls before Greenback got their first. Yes, they outplayed us in the fourth quarter, but when you are allowed to be that physical against a smaller team it begins to wear you down eventually. Greenback took advantage, so you have to tip your hat to them. #42 made those 2 huge 3's late in the fourth which seemed to sap all the life we had left in us.

I am proud of the girls, they manage to overcome so much that John Q. Public doesn't often ever see. They are a wonderful group of kids and they should know that Kaz is in their corner. I'm not alone though, there is a significant number of people that come to see them not just because they are "kin" but because they like the brand of basketball we play up here. Great season girls and chin up!

Kaz

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with everything you said. We ended the half on an 8-0 run and got up by 13 early in the 3rd but I guess it was just not meant be. It would have been nice to shoot more than 3 free throws the whole second half and more than 6 (give or take 1 or 2) the whole game.

I have been watching these girls play since they were in middle school and they have been a fun group to watch grow and mature these past four years of high school.

Great season girls, keep your heads up.

QUOTE(bigdave25 @ Feb 27 2007 - 09:03 AM) 826391404[/snapback]Who does Oneida return next year? Do you think they will be able to challenge Oliver Springs again for the Dist. title?

No starters return and only 3 girls that saw minutes( N. Lay, K. Lay, L. Chitwood).

Anything is possible but I really don't see us being able to hang with O.S.

Oakdale does return the bulk of their line up and while I thought they were pretty good, they were very young. They challenged OS once this season I believe. Wartburg, Coalfield (youth), and Oneida could find ways to get in the mix if the right combinations fall into place. Wartburg couldn't make stops last night against OS at critcial times. Maybe they will be able to do so next season. Oneida doesn't have all its bullets in the holster, but the ones they do have are potentially potent. They will have to work hard because OS presents problems from a variety of sources. If you were leaning on next years poll it will probably go something like this:

OS

Oakdale

Wartburg

Oneida

Coalfield

Sunbright

Only time will tell!

Kaz

It looks to me like the district will be absent of a real post player except for Oakdale. However, it should be guard rich! I feel like O.S. will miss Parton, Smith, and Copeland quite a bit! It should be fun to see how things shake out.

Good luck to all the Oneida Sr. Class. You guys have been fun to watch!

I just wanted to clarify a few comments made earlier in the post in regards to the Greenback/Oneida game. This was a very fast paced fun and nervewracking game to watch. For both teams it had to be very hard to figure out how the refs were going to allow them to play. What at first appeared to be a knock down drag out allowing reach ins and over the backs and what I consider hustle fouls turned many times throughout the game. Oneida was allowed to play very aggressive defense in the first half and continued to do so throught the game, but the refs started calling the smacks and the reach ins and the hacks in the second half. Our girls from Greenback never pressed and backed off some on defense giving room early in the game and were playing it conservatively mainly due to the fact that they were going to make Oneida beat them from the outside shot and to try to help our girls stay out of foul trouble. With one starting senior out of the line-up with a season ending knee injury we only really go 6 deep. That sixth man is a freshman who's playing time just increased since the injury to one of our big girls. We start 3 seniors, a junioir in Hammontree (yes she's back for another year) and a scrapper of a sophmore in Rollins (she's got size and grit). We did get a number of girls in foul trouble early with two of our starters in Rollins and Hammontree with 3 fouls in the first half and receiving their fourth early in the second half. Our other senior post (50) received her 3rd and 4th fouls early in the fourth qtr. almost back to back. Most of our fouls were called on rebounds and hustling after loose balls. The foul situation for Oneida was not near as detrimental due to the depth they appeared to have and constant subbing by their coach. They kept the score/clock table busy all night subbing. The one thing I could not understand was with Oneida having a 12 point lead mid way thorugh 3rd qtr., why were they continuing to play press defense and in your face half-court defense that got them called for more fouls than they receieved points off of turnovers. The refs called any hard drive to the basket that made contact with the defense and the defender hit the floor as a charge. We had one or two go our way and a couple went their way in the first half. Our big girl got called for a charge because she turned to shoot with power and the smaller defender went back and they called a charge. Kara (50) is made of lead and she is like a brick wall. I have seen defenders drive down low and run in to her and literally bounce back a few feet from the impact. When she gets set no-one can move her back. She doesn't budge. We were also very fortunate that our floor leader in senior point-guard Katie Butcher was able to go the distance after playing with the stomach flu. She starting getting sick on Sunday and was able to play but had to sit out at different times to regain some strength. She played with a lot of heart and led all scorers w/ 18 points. Coach Lucier did a tremendous job in keeoing the girls in the game and I think a little bit of Cherokee pride and tradition came into play. I am sure she gives the Lady Cherokee Tradition speech repetitively especially during the post-season, being that she knows what it takes to get to and win the "big one". She was a starter on the 1987 Class A championship team. So was I, only I was a Freshman and I knew what it meant to be a Lady Cherokee. Our girls play with heart and do not give up. They were railroaded last year in Hampton, I don't even want go back to that game. They never had a chance the officiating was horrendous. Even some people from Hampton were embarassed and apologized for how bad it was, which was extremely gracious for them to do so. I am just relieved our girls did not panic and overcame the first half and they settled down and just played basketball. Go Lady Cherokees!

OK, Hammontree had two fouls in the first half, not three. She picked up a third in the second half and to my knowledge, that is how many she finished with. I would also defer on the play of #50. Physical....yes, much in the same way they teach the offensive tackles in football. Not once did she set a screen without shuffling her feet to gain leverage against the smaller, quicker Oneida Defender. However, the refs let her play that way, so I suppose it makes it legal, huh?!?! Oneida had their share of hardships, too. Martin was trying to overcome the effects of mono, and was obviously drained of any strength she might normally have supplied. Phillips got abused on the offensive end and I don't recall her shooting one or two free throws, if any. Greenback won this one in the fourth quarter on the strength of those two majestic threes and Oneida's inability to convert half court opportunities or get free throw opportunities! If Greenback had of been in the same set of circumstances with the fouls, it clearly would have been a different game. Instead, Hammontree continued to hammer Phillips, #50 got to continue "bounce" people around, and they found instances where they could rest Butcher. Oh well, thats the way the cookie crumbled!

Kaz

While on the subject that is about the Lady Indians,,,,,,not Cherokees. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Can the girls remain contender with such a huge loss from the starting line up due to graduation? I don't think the situation would be so dire if the numbers from the middle school remained close to how many 8th grade players decided not to continue into high school. Over the last 4 years the middle school graduated 22 basketball playing 8th graders.....of those 22 players there are now only 6 currently on the team. Of those six, only three were consistent starters in Jr. High..(N. Lay, K. Lay, L. Chitwood)....the program can't replentish its bench when there are no bodies to sit on it. Oneida can again be a player in the outcome of the district, but they are going to have to get more participants in the future.

Kaz

QUOTE(kazam37 @ Feb 27 2007 - 02:56 PM) 826391897[/snapback]OK, Hammontree had two fouls in the first half, not three. She picked up a third in the second half and to my knowledge, that is how many she finished with. I would also defer on the play of #50. Physical....yes, much in the same way they teach the offensive tackles in football. Not once did she set a screen without shuffling her feet to gain leverage against the smaller, quicker Oneida Defender. However, the refs let her play that way, so I suppose it makes it legal, huh?!?! Oneida had their share of hardships, too. Martin was trying to overcome the effects of mono, and was obviously drained of any strength she might normally have supplied. Phillips got abused on the offensive end and I don't recall her shooting one or two free throws, if any. Greenback won this one in the fourth quarter on the strength of those two majestic threes and Oneida's inability to convert half court opportunities or get free throw opportunities! If Greenback had of been in the same set of circumstances with the fouls, it clearly would have been a different game. Instead, Hammontree continued to hammer Phillips, #50 got to continue "bounce" people around, and they found instances where they could rest Butcher. Oh well, thats the way the cookie crumbled!

Kaz

/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Excuse me for going off topic but, I do believe that the thread title mentioned Greenback and the posts here are discussing Greenback players!!!!!.

I am pretty sure that both Sparks and Hammontree got as much as they dished out. Sparks was shoved to the floor on at least two occasions with no foul called. And Hammontree was fouled (uncalled) multiple times on most every shot she took and repeatedly by the press defense. Both players were called for quesionable offensive fouls. And as far as setting screens, it is hard not to shuffle your feet when your being pushed in the back. Maybe that's what made it "legal". The smaller, quicker players should have tried to use their speed to go around rather than try unsuccessfully to push thru. As for the difference in the number of fouls most of Oneida's came off the press/guard play not in the paint. And I can state for a fact that both players are working really hard not to get into foul trouble because of lack of depth on the bench. On several occasions Sparks made very smart decisions not to contest shots just to stay out of foul trouble. I can just imagine the amount of tissue wasted if they had brought the all out physical game that they love to play. And you can't fault Sparks for being so strong that players bounce off when they foul her!

You have to give them credit. Greenback won this game because of heart and determination. Officiating had nothing to do with it.

On a positive note, this Lady Kee team has played with heart and determination and have quietly overcame the adversity of loosing a key starter. Each player has stepped up in her own way and helped make up for the loss. Butcher has been critical in the leadership role - always stepping up when we need her. Best has been more consistant on offense and stepped her game up on the defensive end. Sparks has proved that she can be an offensive force while ruling the paint on defense. And Hammontree has continued to maintain her aggressive game over the last several weeks without protective gear (it hindered her shot) after surgery on her broken nose (curtesy of a Coalfield cheapshot). This is a special group of girls and it has been a pleasure to have had the privilege of watching them play and become outstanding young ladies over the last four years.

GO LADY KEES!!!!!!