Science Hill Football

topvol98

QUOTE(cbg @ Apr 4 2007 - 10:43 PM) 826430290[/snapback]I understand that he has one win over 5A teams with a winning record. Will you answer the other questions that I ask of you?

Well I'll try. There was three questions you ask I believe. Yes he started the football program at Indy. Its easier to start a program from scratch than to rebuild somebody elses. Also its not like he went out on the street and rounded up a bunch of kids that had never played football. These boys had played little league, and middle school just like they do at ever other school in the state, and there were also transfers. I don't know how many seniors he had but I would think he had some. Indy does go to the 12th grade. As far as saying you don't schedule the best teams when your starting a new program, maybe true, but it still don't change the fact that he has "1" win over a team with a winning record. This Smith guy is being made out to be some kind of "football wizard" by some people. Im saying there is nothing there but smoke and mirrors. Now I will admit he has not had but three years in 5A and at some point may become a good coach. I don't see him being very sucessful playing the type football he says he is going to play. If he is sucessful he will be the first in the history of the game. Smith was the third man on the list of coaches when Science Hill made the hire. The first two turned them down.

He has "1" win over a 5A team with a winning record.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Apr 5 2007 - 07:42 AM) 826430451[/snapback]Well I'll try. There was three questions you ask I believe. Yes he started the football program at Indy. Its easier to start a program from scratch than to rebuild somebody elses. Also its not like he went out on the street and rounded up a bunch of kids that had never played football. These boys had played little league, and middle school just like they do at ever other school in the state, and there were also transfers. I don't know how many seniors he had but I would think he had some. Indy does go to the 12th grade. As far as saying you don't schedule the best teams when your starting a new program, maybe true, but it still don't change the fact that he has "1" win over a team with a winning record. This Smith guy is being made out to be some kind of "football wizard" by some people. Im saying there is nothing there but smoke and mirrors. Now I will admit he has not had but three years in 5A and at some point may become a good coach. I don't see him being very sucessful playing the type football he says he is going to play. If he is sucessful he will be the first in the history of the game. Smith was the third man on the list of coaches when Science Hill made the hire. The first two turned them down.

I know Coach Smith. He will out work his opponents and he will win at Science Hill. BOOK IT!!!!

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(Footballfan15 @ Apr 5 2007 - 11:08 AM) 826430630[/snapback]He has a state championship. how many do you have. Book That!

I have been reading all of these posts over the past several days. A couple of things come to mind about what all has been said. First, Like Footballfan15 said, Smith will do well. I think that any good coach would do well. Science Hill is a gold mine waiting to explode. Look at the success that they have had in almost every other sport. Football is due and Smith will lead the way. Second, someone said that if Smith's defense blitzes every play he will get eaten up or something like that, basically that it wouldnt work. Someone even said it sounded middleschoolish. Well maybe thats right because thats what I do and in three years I have a combined three losses. But it works at the high school level as well. Its the philosophy that Ravenwood uses and I would say that they have done quite well the past two years.

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Apr 5 2007 - 08:42 AM) 826430451[/snapback]Well I'll try. There was three questions you ask I believe. Yes he started the football program at Indy. Its easier to start a program from scratch than to rebuild somebody elses. Also its not like he went out on the street and rounded up a bunch of kids that had never played football. These boys had played little league, and middle school just like they do at ever other school in the state, and there were also transfers. I don't know how many seniors he had but I would think he had some. Indy does go to the 12th grade. As far as saying you don't schedule the best teams when your starting a new program, maybe true, but it still don't change the fact that he has "1" win over a team with a winning record. This Smith guy is being made out to be some kind of "football wizard" by some people. Im saying there is nothing there but smoke and mirrors. Now I will admit he has not had but three years in 5A and at some point may become a good coach. I don't see him being very sucessful playing the type football he says he is going to play. If he is sucessful he will be the first in the history of the game. Smith was the third man on the list of coaches when Science Hill made the hire. The first two turned them down.

Who are you referring to? Quarles from Maryville and Rankin from Alcoa?

Don't forget Spurrier...wanted him too!

Smith is the right man at the right time.

QUOTE(topvol98 @ Mar 20 2007 - 12:52 AM) 826418142[/snapback]You believe that 4.91 if you want to, that was in an marsh during an monsoon. Look for the video on youtube and judge for yourself.

May 5th

Youtube clip shows me a very week defense. They stand up and are not discipline in responsibilities. They make him look good. He is better than adverage but you better come with more than that to win in this league.

I am sure Coach Smith will do fine...Coach Bowles won games and took Science Hill to the playoffs and did fine...

I am just amazed at the implication that Coach Clark at D-B and Coach Brewer at Sevier County (for example) don't work hard...and the fact that people don't realize that those aforementioned coaches have been running various forms of spread offenses their entire careers and D-B has blitzed someone virtually every play since Coach Watson has been defensive coordinator (a long time) is ridiculously overwhelming...Maybe the fact that Science Hill fans don't know these things is further indication as to why they haven't had much success against these teams in the past...

There should have been excitement in Johnson City for football all along...there were kids playing representing the city's high school; that should be exciting and a source of pride every Friday, regardless of record...but if it takes a new coach to get interest built, then great...the kids deserve it.

Roll Tribe Roll

QUOTE(yellowjacket2 @ Apr 5 2007 - 11:42 AM) 826430663[/snapback]Youtube clip shows me a very week defense. They stand up and are not discipline in responsibilities. They make him look good. He is better than adverage but you better come with more than that to win in this league.

What league are you talking about? If your talking about the region that Science Hill is in then that is quite weak compared to the region that Indy. was in or the Riverdale, Oakland, Smyrna, etc... region.

Remember that several folks said that Bruce Pearl couldn't coach at a "Big Time" school even though he had won a DII National Championship but he seems to have done just fine.

QUOTE(skunk @ Apr 5 2007 - 01:57 PM) 826430733[/snapback]I am sure Coach Smith will do fine...Coach Bowles won games and took Science Hill to the playoffs and did fine...

I am just amazed at the implication that Coach Clark at D-B and Coach Brewer at Sevier County (for example) don't work hard...and the fact that people don't realize that those aforementioned coaches have been running various forms of spread offenses their entire careers and D-B has blitzed someone virtually every play since Coach Watson has been defensive coordinator (a long time) is ridiculously overwhelming...Maybe the fact that Science Hill fans don't know these things is further indication as to why they haven't had much success against these teams in the past...

There should have been excitement in Johnson City for football all along...there were kids playing representing the city's high school; that should be exciting and a source of pride every Friday, regardless of record...but if it takes a new coach to get interest built, then great...the kids deserve it.

Roll Tribe Roll

LOL, I have forgotten how things must be broken down for the db fans because the don't post during the offseason when the boards are locked to CoachT+ members. I dont' think the fans have ever had problems recognizing what was being ran it was bowles that had the trouble. There is always excitement around the team but bowles did a good job of making sure it was contained to the parents and friends of the players and band parents for halftime. I know you can recognize the excitement of db games on the road no matter what the distance. The only Johnson Citians that traveled west of Jonesborough to support the football team has been the parents and friends of kids tied to the team. A big reason there was not alot of intrest away from that base was becuase it was simply boring and predictable football being coached to the kids. Just my opnion after watching every game SHHS has played the last thre years, varsity and jV.

QUOTE(yellowjacket2 @ Apr 5 2007 - 12:42 PM) 826430663[/snapback]Youtube clip shows me a very week defense. They stand up and are not discipline in responsibilities. They make him look good. He is better than adverage but you better come with more than that to win in this league.

Your right, the defense usually makes offensive players look bad but thinks for your input and watching the video. He was slightly better than average. First team all confrence running back and kick returner.

Well tophat, as you showcase at least the third version of a Hilltopper helmet over the past ten years, your fans are the ones screaming of how football is going to change in Northeast Tennessee with a spread offense!!!!! and blitzing in abnormal situations!!!!! nobody could have ever thought of that in the Big East Conference...Where were you BB (before Bowles)?...when was the last time the Hill revolutionized football?...and didn't Shoun and other QBs do a lot of throwing?...seems I had a son or two pick off some of those passes...have you seen Bearden play the past couple of years?...a spread offense...

I hope Smith does well, I hope Cutlip can enjoy his job, I hope J.C. re-elects Mohon and whats his name, but you all shouldn't think football is a new sport and a good coach will live forever not being appreciated and well, at least someone voted...

Roll Tribe Roll