Class A State Tournament Preview

ptguard12

Muffin,

Didn't you discount Oliver Springs when I made the point at mid season that all the Middle and West Tennessee Classa A teams had better not underestimate Oliver Springs come tourney time? You made a comment that " you hear this every year from OS people"

This was after I pointed out OS's schedule was far superior to many of the class A teams who were ranked ahead of Oliver Springs in the polls. Like Clarkrange and Jackson County, Oliver Springs plays the best schedule possible which provides 5-7 losses a year. OS beat Powell ( AAA sectional), Stone Memorial ( AA sectional), and only lost ONE game to class "A" competition all year- ( clarkrange). It lost to state champion Knox Webb, AAA power Cookeville, AA power Stone Memorial and Loudon. It would be wise to thing the winner of this tourney would be Clarkrange, OS, or Jackson County. They are battle tested.

It was foolish to discount Oliver Springs as a challenger for the state championship especially considering its rich tradition and tough regualr season scheduling that prepares it come tourney time.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 7 2007 - 03:03 PM) 826403773[/snapback]Muffin,

Didn't you discount Oliver Springs when I made the point at mid season that all the Middle and West Tennessee Classa A teams had better not underestimate Oliver Springs come tourney time? You made a comment that " you hear this every year from OS people"

This was after I pointed out OS's schedule was far superior to many of the class A teams who were ranked ahead of Oliver Springs in the polls. Like Clarkrange and Jackson County, Oliver Springs plays the best schedule possible which provides 5-7 losses a year. OS beat Powell ( AAA sectional), Stone Memorial ( AA sectional), and only lost ONE game to class "A" competition all year- ( clarkrange). It lost to state champion Knox Webb, AAA power Cookeville, AA power Stone Memorial and Loudon. It would be wise to thing the winner of this tourney would be Clarkrange, OS, or Jackson County. They are battle tested.

It was foolish to discount Oliver Springs as a challenger for the state championship especially considering its rich tradition and tough regualr season scheduling that prepares it come tourney time.

Did not discount them,I only had Clarkrange favored by 3.

QUOTE(spojo20 @ Mar 7 2007 - 04:56 PM) 826403874[/snapback]So far all three "underdogs" have won. I guess it just shows that you can never underestimate any team, and you have to play as hard as you can till that final whistle blows.

I don't care what anyone says....A team that was 33-1 and ranked #1 all year is not an underdog....

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 7 2007 - 03:03 PM) 826403773[/snapback]Muffin,

have you been waiting all year just to say that... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

QUOTE(spojo20 @ Mar 7 2007 - 04:56 PM) 826403874[/snapback]So far all three "underdogs" have won. I guess it just shows that you can never underestimate any team, and you have to play as hard as you can till that final whistle blows.

I don't think alot of people considered Trinity, Gleason, and Oliver Springs to be underdogs. Those first three games on Wednesday could have went either way because on paper they were very even match-ups. I based my predictions on the fact that I had seen six of the eight state tournament teams play (I have not seen Cloudland or Oliver Springs) and everything that I had been heard, read, or saw tape on. Of course, you cannot predict a team's heart and determination (i.e. TCA) or the fact that a team will just have an off day (i.e. Forrest).

TCA was so impressive in their win over Collinwood. I had seen TCA play once this year and Collinwood play three times, and I was not entirely sure that TCA would be able to handle the physical play of Collinwood. Well, the Lady Lions handled it and then some. They just completely dominated boards and played some extremely good defense against a pretty potent Collinwood offense. TCA's Katie Henderson played exceptionally well and Collinwood's Abby Andrews showed why she is a major Division I college prospect.

The Clarkrange/Oliver Springs game was a classic. Kayla Christopher was stellar and she will be a future Miss Basketball nominee. Clarkrange played well but shot rather poorly from the free throw line and the charity shots will cost a team in a close game such as this. This was by far the best game of the day.

Gleason's dominance of Forrest was unexpected. While I'm not surprised that Gleason won, I am surprised by how much they won (just as everyone in the gym was). Forrest just was not themselves. Gleason completely took them out of their gameplan and Frazier showed why he is among the elite coaches in the state of Tennessee. Kayla Hudson was absolutely stellar and she showed why she should be the Class A Miss Basketball. There for a while, I was not even sure that she had missed a shot.

QUOTE(ptguard12 @ Mar 8 2007 - 11:57 PM) 826405800[/snapback]I don't think alot of people considered Trinity, Gleason, and Oliver Springs to be underdogs. Those first three games on Wednesday could have went either way because on paper they were very even match-ups. I based my predictions on the fact that I had seen six of the eight state tournament teams play (I have not seen Cloudland or Oliver Springs) and everything that I had been heard, read, or saw tape on. Of course, you cannot predict a team's heart and determination (i.e. TCA) or the fact that a team will just have an off day (i.e. Forrest).

TCA was so impressive in their win over Collinwood. I had seen TCA play once this year and Collinwood play three times, and I was not entirely sure that TCA would be able to handle the physical play of Collinwood. Well, the Lady Lions handled it and then some. They just completely dominated boards and played some extremely good defense against a pretty potent Collinwood offense. TCA's Katie Henderson played exceptionally well and Collinwood's Abby Andrews showed why she is a major Division I college prospect.

The Clarkrange/Oliver Springs game was a classic. Kayla Christopher was stellar and she will be a future Miss Basketball nominee. Clarkrange played well but shot rather poorly from the free throw line and the charity shots will cost a team in a close game such as this. This was by far the best game of the day.

Gleason's dominance of Forrest was unexpected. While I'm not surprised that Gleason won, I am surprised by how much they won (just as everyone in the gym was). Forrest just was not themselves. Gleason completely took them out of their gameplan and Frazier showed why he is among the elite coaches in the state of Tennessee. Kayla Hudson was absolutely stellar and she showed why she should be the Class A Miss Basketball. There for a while, I was not even sure that she had missed a shot.

1 for 3 not good but I would have had same picks

QUOTE(senator @ Mar 9 2007 - 12:11 AM) 826405806[/snapback]1 for 3 not good but I would have had same picks

Yeah, that's why they play the games. I'm not even real sure who is going to win tomorrow. I've already watched two full days of some great basketball. I'm looking forward to two more.

QUOTE(Greenfieldfan @ Mar 6 2007 - 06:58 PM) 826402619[/snapback]Great job.

I still believe that Kayla Hudson will make a huge difference in the Gleason/Forrest ballgame. There will not be a better floor leader, more determined, smarter basketball player on the floor tomorrow in any game. She will take control of the game, I just feel like Gleason wins this game.