Shot clock in Tennessee HS basketball

A Good coach plays to the strength of their players. If they had tall post players, they pound the ball inside. If they have good 3 point shooters, they shoot the 3's. Gleason had girls that could handle the ball therefore they could hold the ball. You have to have players who know how to handle the ball if you hold it for 2 or 3 minutes at a time. GLEASON PLAYED TO THEIR STRENGTH. A good coach will always utilize their strong points, which Gleason did.

I knew that if Gleason was up at the end of the first quarter, they would probably win the game. With a 4 or 6 point lead, I knew that they would run 2 or 3 minutes off the clock, waiting for a opposing girl to get out of position so Gleason could score. That is smart basketball. Is it boring basketball? Well, it might be, but look at who got the gold. Did Gleason play fair and go by the rules? Yes, they did. There was a game between McNairy and Chester County a few years ago and the final score was 6 to 4. Was it boring? Yes it was. Yet, it was a fair game. I personally do not like a players going out of bounds and while in the air calling for a timeout. I don't like it but it is fair until they change that rule.

I was impressed by OS coach - however, she should have known what Gleason was going to do before the game began and she should have made adjustments. Gleason is known for its tough defense and they will run a patient offense until they are able to run the player that they are wanting to run.

Also, to prove that I am a fair person - one of the best players on the court at the Boro was an OS player - Kayla Christoper. I was deeply impressed with her skills. I believe that OS will be back next year. Good luck to OS next year, you are a very good team.

DEDICATED TO THE MEMORIES OF THE PALMERSVILLE PIRATES!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a good idea. I know of a team that even though the defense is dawging them they still managed to run up to 3 minutes at a time off the clock just by running a dribble weave. That just proves that the 5-sec count doesn't really matter. This team does this just about every game and it gets boring quick! Having a shot clock would help control the tempo of the game.

I'm not sure about a shot clock. I'm an northeast tennessee fan and saw Stone Memorial hold the ball the last 2 minutes of the 3rd and entire fourth quarter (they began with a 5 point lead) against Elizabethton in the Sub-State. Elizabethton got a few steals and cut the lead to 1 halfway through the 4th and could have won but got tired chasing the ball. I don't think Stone made a field goal the last 10 minutes of the game and some people complained about it. However, I have seen Elizabethton run the spread and do the same thing successfully to other people when they get the lead so all is fair in love and basketball.

Easily solved...just don't get behind a good team! No shot clock.

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 12 2007 - 05:32 PM) 826409394[/snapback]Gleason's coach put high school basketball back 50 years with his "stall ball" in the 4th quarter. A shot clock should be implemented by the TSSAA. Anytime a team that has only lost one game feels the need to stall with 6 minutes left in the game with just a 2 point lead is simply "bad basketball". Middle school teams with players that are just learning the rules of the game who are evolving into better players are teams that should maybe hold onto the ball for 2-4 minutes per possession in running an offense.

Make no mistake about it, If Glerason would have won playing "normal" basketball I would be the first to congratulate them. However, what their coach pulled was an embarrasment to Tennessee girls basketball which is typicall regarded as the pinnacle of girls high school basketball throughout the country.

Fans of the tourney deserved to see basketball played at its highest level exhibiting great plays by great players to decide a close game in the 4th Quarter on a stage as big as the State Championship game. Instead Gleason's coach delivering a boring brand of"stall ball" where he wanted free throws and officials to dictate who won the game playing "gimmick" brand of basketball usually only ran by inferior talented teams when playing a superior team.

You seem like one bitter fan.

Also why did the mighty Oliver Springs team have 10 turnovers in a "stall ball" game? Good thing we held it huh, yall might have set a state tourney record for turnovers! I also think its pretty entertaining that this "superior" OS team had only ONE player on the team (Christopher) that shot over 70 percent from the line on the season according to prepextras.com. Maybe your girls should spend a little more time in the gym working on free throws, taking care of the basketball, getting in shape (they were give out in the 4th quarter), and playing a little defense so that the other team is at least challenged enough to not be able to hold it the whole game. If they'll spend a little more time working on these things instead of worrying about playing AAU then maybe they won't take home the "loser's ball" next year! Thanks, come again

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 12 2007 - 05:32 PM) 826409394[/snapback]Gleason's coach put high school basketball back 50 years with his "stall ball" in the 4th quarter. A shot clock should be implemented by the TSSAA. Anytime a team that has only lost one game feels the need to stall with 6 minutes left in the game with just a 2 point lead is simply "bad basketball". Middle school teams with players that are just learning the rules of the game who are evolving into better players are teams that should maybe hold onto the ball for 2-4 minutes per possession in running an offense.

Make no mistake about it, If Glerason would have won playing "normal" basketball I would be the first to congratulate them. However, what their coach pulled was an embarrasment to Tennessee girls basketball which is typicall regarded as the pinnacle of girls high school basketball throughout the country.

Fans of the tourney deserved to see basketball played at its highest level exhibiting great plays by great players to decide a close game in the 4th Quarter on a stage as big as the State Championship game. Instead Gleason's coach delivering a boring brand of"stall ball" where he wanted free throws and officials to dictate who won the game playing "gimmick" brand of basketball usually only ran by inferior talented teams when playing a superior team.

You may need to see a therapist to get over this. There is medicine to help you lighten up. Things will get back to normal for you soon. Good luck.

WE NEED A SHOT CLOCK! 30 SEC. OR 45 SEC. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

LADY WARRIORS AAA STATE CHAMPS. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

One other point I meant to make which I failed to do. If a team loves to run up and down the court what is the best way to frustrate them. IMHO it's not letting them touch the ball, they'll get frustrated, take bad shots, and maybe even get a little emotional that would cause them not to play to their best ability. I'm still against a shot clock.

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 12 2007 - 06:44 PM) 826409400[/snapback]"Just remember offense gets your name in the paper, but defense wins game especially championships. The girl who plays defense gets little credit other than the fact they get a championship ring. "

You are mistaken. Defense has nothing to do with Gleason's championship run. The low scoring is a product of holding onto the ball on offense, not "great defense" There is a huge difference in good defense versus a team that holds onto the ball on offense and as a result the opposing team's scoring is low. Most would assume the low scoring is the product of great defense. Actually its the product of stall ball where each team doesn't have opportunities to score the basketball because of the gimmick offense Gleason runs.

Gimmick Basketball=

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Gimmick basketball = Winning as well

Teams have different styles of play. If it can help you win, why not do it. Might not be entertaining or fun but if it wins who cares? And while yes low scoring can be a product of holding the ball, you can't say that Gleason's defense had nothing to do with it. Jackson Co didn't even hit a 2 pt FG in the semis and it wasn't because they didn't shoot any. You don't hold someone to 5 pts in 2 quarters combined and not play good defense.

And Mr Sandman has it correct with the playing a way that takes a team out of their game. Gleason doesn't have the athletes to run up and down the floor.

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 12 2007 - 05:44 PM) 826409400[/snapback]"Just remember offense gets your name in the paper, but defense wins game especially championships. The girl who plays defense gets little credit other than the fact they get a championship ring. "

You are mistaken. Defense has nothing to do with Gleason's championship run. The low scoring is a product of holding onto the ball on offense, not "great defense" There is a huge difference in good defense versus a team that holds onto the ball on offense and as a result the opposing team's scoring is low. Most would assume the low scoring is the product of great defense. Actually its the product of stall ball where each team doesn't have opportunities to score the basketball because of the gimmick offense Gleason runs.

Gimmick Basketball=

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

dude you're a loser quit arguing. Maybe teams should just quit playing defense maybe they would win a gold ball too. Why don't you relay that back to the OS coach tell her it was just a coaching tip from dawgystile.