Shot clock in Tennessee HS basketball

QUOTE(titanjo @ Mar 11 2007 - 10:15 AM) 826407975[/snapback]Also raising the money should be NO trouble when the HighSchools are raping the community at the door at $6 and most schools play at least 30 games!!! So dont say money is an issue!!!

Your right Basketball is such a cash cow they should just build all new gyms and put up jumbotrons and shot clocks. Taken the equipment travel and everything else that comes out of the HOME GAMES (no gate from away) I'd be surprised if they broke even.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(10teamdistrictisajoke @ Mar 11 2007 - 10:37 AM) 826407992[/snapback]The shot clock is for teams that can't guard anybody. Teach your kids how to play defense and stop whining about teams with better fundamentals. Gleason took good shots and didn't force anything all week. That's why we are having a reception at 2:30 for the 2007 Class A State Champs at Gleason High!

just had to reply to this. i saw the os and gleason game and gleason had a four point lead and froze the ball for half of 4th quarter.they were obviously not looking for a good shot.you could tell they were trained to play keep away.i wish we could have a shot clock.just reporting what i saw as a neutral fan of the game.

QUOTE(bullfrog @ Mar 11 2007 - 01:11 PM) 826408101[/snapback]just had to reply to this. i saw the os and gleason game and gleason had a four point lead and froze the ball for half of 4th quarter.they were obviously not looking for a good shot.you could tell they were trained to play keep away.i wish we could have a shot clock.just reporting what i saw as a neutral fan of the game.

Your right. Those poor OS girls had to just sit there and watch their state title hopes go down the drain.

Hey I have an idea....how about guarding the ball handler closer so that the 5 sec rule comes into effect, try to create pressure, force bad passes and possibly convert on a turnover????

If I was the coach of Gleason, with the lead and the OS players were allowing me to hold onto the ball like this, then you bet I would do it and go home proud with the gold ball. A WIN IS A WIN.

It is one thing to talk about the team that is doing it, but what about the team that allows it to happen???

QUOTE(bullfrog @ Mar 11 2007 - 12:11 PM) 826408101[/snapback]i saw the os and gleason game and gleason had a four point lead and froze the ball for half of 4th quarter.they were obviously not looking for a good shot.you could tell they were trained to play keep away.

What exactly do you call a good shot? Once they slowed the ball down they took 20 shots from the free throw line. I`d call that pretty good shot selection.

What people don`t realize is that it`s not easy to control the ball for extended periods of time. You have to avoid getting trapped into a jump ball. Avoid making an errant pass. Avoid a good defensive play for a steal. It takes a lot of basketball skills to slow it down like that. You must have good court awareness, ball handling skills and definitely passing skills. Most of all you must have good free throw shooting skills.

Gleason started this with only a 4 point lead. If they can`t sink their free throws they probably lose this game.

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Mar 11 2007 - 03:30 PM) 826408179[/snapback]What exactly do you call a good shot? Once they slowed the ball down they took 20 shots from the free throw line. I`d call that pretty good shot selection.

What people don`t realize is that it`s not easy to control the ball for extended periods of time. You have to avoid getting trapped into a jump ball. Avoid making an errant pass. Avoid a good defensive play for a steal. It takes a lot of basketball skills to slow it down like that. You must have good court awareness, ball handling skills and definitely passing skills. Most of all you must have good free throw shooting skills.

Gleason started this with only a 4 point lead. If they can`t sink their free throws they probably lose this game.

You are 100% right. It was a good game plan. They are the champs so it doesn't really matter how they won, they won the last game of the year. They finished their season with a win. Congrats Gleason!

QUOTE(3153 @ Mar 11 2007 - 02:24 PM) 826408110[/snapback]Your right. Those poor OS girls had to just sit there and watch their state title hopes go down the drain.

Hey I have an idea....how about guarding the ball handler closer so that the 5 sec rule comes into effect, try to create pressure, force bad passes and possibly convert on a turnover????

If I was the coach of Gleason, with the lead and the OS players were allowing me to hold onto the ball like this, then you bet I would do it and go home proud with the gold ball. A WIN IS A WIN.

It is one thing to talk about the team that is doing it, but what about the team that allows it to happen???

First off, Congrats to Gleason!!

But to those posting about classless OS fans, the above post, only

proves, it goes both ways!

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Mar 11 2007 - 03:30 PM) 826408179[/snapback]What exactly do you call a good shot? Once they slowed the ball down they took 20 shots from the free throw line. I`d call that pretty good shot selection.

Say what you want, but if you don't have a guard the caliber of

Kayla Hudson, a high school team can't effectively play the keep

away style for long periods of time against good defensive minded teams.

She really impressed me from day one of the tourney.

She was the difference maker.

Congrats to Gleason & their great fans.

I still think a shot clock is not a bad ideal. I suggested 40 because

any good team should be able to find a shot in that time span.

And it wouldn't penalize teams that play hard nosed defense.

Gosh, I remember when we didn't have a three point shot.

You think its inception has hurt the game ? Me neither.