Shot Clock&State Tourney Costs

bubblegum99

I know this has been discussed on a few occasions on here, but I would like to put my 2 cents in. I would love to see a shot clock put into high school basketball. I'm posting this in the girl's thread, but I would love to see it in the boys as well. People will say you are giving all the advantage to the more talented teams, but I'm not talking about a 25 or 30 second clock. I would be fine with a 45 or 50 second clock. Anybody that kept up with last week's girls tourney, how many games were 6-2 or 7-3 or even 8-6 at the end of the 1st quarter? To me, that's ridiculous. I watched Gleason hold the ball against Jackson Co. for 2-3 minutes while leading by 20 or more pts. That is some really entertaining stuff. Although, I guess if anybody had it coming it would have to be Coach Brown and the Lady Devils. I researched single A and the average points scored in those games were 88(combined). As I said earlier a :45 shot clock would not, in my opinion, take the strategy from the game. Come on TSSAA, it doesn't seem like you have any trouble finding ways to put more money in your pocket(1 and 2 seeds playing their first region game at home), put in a way to make the game more entertaining for the fans. Lastly, you need to raise the price to park at the state tourney to $10. Five isn't enough. You can park at a UT game for $5. Some places $0. Keep up the good and reasonable work you are doing. By the way, if it was me I would start charging kids 6 months and above to get in.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must disagree. There should not be a shot clock in high school basketball. If you are down, and a team is holding the ball, steal it from them, if you can. If you can't, they shouldn't be forced to shoot to give your team a chance to throw the ball up too.

Plus, the costs of installing shot clocks and that technology statewide probably would not go over very well with the public schools in this state that cannot afford it, and the TSSAA sure isn't gonna give any money back to the schools.

QUOTE(goosevol @ Mar 12 2007 - 11:02 PM) 826409770[/snapback]I don't think a shot clock is needed, but I have a feeling it may be coming. I've only seen two games in the past 20 years where a team basically quit trying to score on offense for more than the final couple of minutes.

If that's the case then why do you feel a shot clock is coming?

QUOTE(greenwheel @ Mar 12 2007 - 10:09 PM) 826409778[/snapback]If that's the case then why do you feel a shot clock is coming?

There are schools installing 25 second play clocks for football so I figure that will be next. Then I believe the shot clock will follow. I'd say both in the next 5-10 years. Heck Carter even had a small version of a jumbotron for football.

If they do get a shot clock, I'd start with 45 seconds and maybe eventually go down to 35 or 40.

QUOTE(bubblegum99 @ Mar 12 2007 - 11:13 AM) 826408938[/snapback]Anybody that kept up with last week's girls tourney, how many games were 6-2 or 7-3 or even 8-6 at the end of the 1st quarter? To me, that's ridiculous.

Could it be nerves that was causing all the low-scoring first quarters? I believe Riverdale trailed 5-4 after one quarter in AAA title game.

45 seconds is great even 50 seconds and yes in some of the games I promise a lot more point would be scored... and goose u only saw 2 games where a team stoped trying to score? Gleason did it a lot this year... and I attended only 12 games all year this year and in atleast 4 of those games I saw a team trying to hold the ball for more then 2 mins in each

My family and I have attended the Girl's State Finals for the last twelve years and this years championship games where by far the most boring games we have ever seen. I don't know if a shot clock would raise the scores, but it would make for much more interesting games to watch. The high school in our area had shot clocks installed when they build the new gym, and I know that most of the vending companies that supply the clocks in the gyms will furnish shot clocks if the school asks for them. So the cost would not be a big burden on the schools. I think shot clocks would only make high school basketball better.