Shot Clock&State Tourney Costs

bubblegum99

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you have a team that likes to run an offense to wear down the opposing teams defense? Do you put a shot clock in just so the other team can get the opportunity to score? I think you play defense and get into the passing lanes and try to steal the ball. Also if you have a more athletic team playing another team that is not as athletic or fast then it forces you to play the other teams style of basketball. If you want the tempo to be picked up then start pressing or playing better defense to force the other team to turn the ball over. Defense is just as important as offense. We don't want to see these high school games turning into something like the NBA (whoever scores the most wins).

I think that the T$$AA charges way too much! If you have a family and you want to go watch the state tournament you would have to dip into your savings just to go to all the games. If the T$$AA would lower some of the prices or maybe just pay one price for each day then they would have a lot more people come and watch the games. This would help the atmosphere for the state tournament. Where does all this money go too? I don't see any improvements for the students. Can anyone give any insight on this?

QUOTE(dustytaylor13 @ Mar 13 2007 - 12:33 AM) 826409827[/snapback]45 seconds is great even 50 seconds and yes in some of the games I promise a lot more point would be scored... and goose u only saw 2 games where a team stoped trying to score? Gleason did it a lot this year... and I attended only 12 games all year this year and in atleast 4 of those games I saw a team trying to hold the ball for more then 2 mins in each

I saw 120 games this season and I can't recall that a shot clock would have come into play, till the state tournament. And I would think that in some games less points would be scored.

I disagree with a shot clock. The team that wins the game should be the team that comes in fundamentaley sound, works hard, and has the best strategy. If you have a shot clock it will make teams start throwing the ball at the basket and as the old saying goes, "even a blind squirrel can find a nut." I would say step up the defense, get out of the zone, and get in somebody's face. A lot of people that witnessed the Championship game on Saturday said Gleason stalled the ball. I myself, would call it very good time managment. When Gleason was on defense where were they, in the face of the offense. Bottom line, step up the defense, and get in the face of the offense and I bet you will see turnovers or shots at the basket in under a min.

Now, I will agree, that high scoring games are more fun to watch and a shot clock would probably generate higher scores. Entertainment for the fans is a benefit of the game, but the object is to win. I have seen comments where people said the game was boring. I suppose the girls could have said OMG the fans find this boring. Lets start throwing the ball up at the basket every 30 secs and keep them happy win or lose. I think not, their goal was to win and believe it or not the Gleason fans found it very entertaining. It's always fun watching our girls take a defense to school. Save TSSAA some money and learn to play better defense.

QUOTE(bulldawg-fan @ Mar 13 2007 - 06:17 PM) 826410581[/snapback]I disagree with a shot clock. The team that wins the game should be the team that comes in fundamentaley sound, works hard, and has the best strategy. If you have a shot clock it will make teams start throwing the ball at the basket and as the old saying goes, "even a blind squirrel can find a nut." I would say step up the defense, get out of the zone, and get in somebody's face. A lot of people that witnessed the Championship game on Saturday said Gleason stalled the ball. I myself, would call it very good time managment. When Gleason was on defense where were they, in the face of the offense. Bottom line, step up the defense, and get in the face of the offense and I bet you will see turnovers or shots at the basket in under a min.

Now, I will agree, that high scoring games are more fun to watch and a shot clock would probably generate higher scores. Entertainment for the fans is a benefit of the game, but the object is to win. I have seen comments where people said the game was boring. I suppose the girls could have said OMG the fans find this boring. Lets start throwing the ball up at the basket every 30 secs and keep them happy win or lose. I think not, their goal was to win and believe it or not the Gleason fans found it very entertaining. It's always fun watching our girls take a defense to school. Save TSSAA some money and learn to play better defense.

I knew you had to be a Gleason fan before I ever looked up the team nickname. It was entertaining to you because your team won. I f you were on the short end of a 35-32 game your views would be different and I am not from OS. Someone will hold the ball on you and your TIME MANAGEMENT theory will be skewed, I guarantee it.

QUOTE(bulldawg-fan @ Mar 13 2007 - 06:17 PM) 826410581[/snapback]I disagree with a shot clock. The team that wins the game should be the team that comes in fundamentaley sound, works hard, and has the best strategy. If you have a shot clock it will make teams start throwing the ball at the basket and as the old saying goes, "even a blind squirrel can find a nut." I would say step up the defense, get out of the zone, and get in somebody's face. A lot of people that witnessed the Championship game on Saturday said Gleason stalled the ball. I myself, would call it very good time managment. When Gleason was on defense where were they, in the face of the offense. Bottom line, step up the defense, and get in the face of the offense and I bet you will see turnovers or shots at the basket in under a min.

bulldawg fan, you sound as if there is no strategy in a game with a shot clock. Colleges have been doing it for years and there is plenty of strategy. The bottom line is that the shot clock favors the less talented and inferior player. You, like so many others want things to stay the same so less talented players will have equality in a sport that thrives on talent. If girls high school basketball is going to grow, then it must adapt. Why do you think so many players are attracted to AAU basketball? The speed of the game, that's why. Besides, this is the very next level to college basketball. These young ladies need to be prepared for the college game. It doesn't make sense to be this close to the college level and still not have a shot clock. That is why AAU prepares these players far better for collge b-ball than does high school. So let's stop being selfish and do what is right for the high school player. Put in the shot clock!!

QUOTE(RARip @ Mar 14 2007 - 08:24 AM) 826411275[/snapback]bulldawg fan, you sound as if there is no strategy in a game with a shot clock. Colleges have been doing it for years and there is plenty of strategy. The bottom line is that the shot clock favors the less talented and inferior player. You, like so many others want things to stay the same so less talented players will have equality in a sport that thrives on talent. If girls high school basketball is going to grow, then it must adapt. Why do you think so many players are attracted to AAU basketball? The speed of the game, that's why. Besides, this is the very next level to college basketball. These young ladies need to be prepared for the college game. It doesn't make sense to be this close to the college level and still not have a shot clock. That is why AAU prepares these players far better for collge b-ball than does high school. So let's stop being selfish and do what is right for the high school player. Put in the shot clock!!

I disagree about the AAU preparing a player for college better than the high school. It really depends on the type of coach you have at the high school. I have seen many players play in the AAU and have come back to the high school and not be able to play any better on the defensive end. I think that AAU play is faster and allows the players to score, but it does not help out much on their defense. The shot clock has too many costs involved with it. All the schools can not afford to have shot clocks installed. Plus the purpose of high school sports is not to develop the next Michael Jordan or the next Peyton Manning. High school sports are there to develop some life lessons that help young people mature as they get older. Along the way you might have an athlete that will earn a scholorship off of their ability. This world has put too much importance on winning at the High School Level.

QUOTE(greenevillefan @ Mar 14 2007 - 09:31 AM) 826411285[/snapback]I disagree about the AAU preparing a player for college better than the high school. It really depends on the type of coach you have at the high school. I have seen many players play in the AAU and have come back to the high school and not be able to play any better on the defensive end. I think that AAU play is faster and allows the players to score, but it does not help out much on their defense. The shot clock has too many costs involved with it. All the schools can not afford to have shot clocks installed. Plus the purpose of high school sports is not to develop the next Michael Jordan or the next Peyton Manning. High school sports are there to develop some life lessons that help young people mature as they get older. Along the way you might have an athlete that will earn a scholorship off of their ability. This world has put too much importance on winning at the High School Level.

Good points, so I'll agree to disagree.

QUOTE(greenevillefan @ Mar 14 2007 - 10:31 AM) 826411285[/snapback]I disagree about the AAU preparing a player for college better than the high school. It really depends on the type of coach you have at the high school. I have seen many players play in the AAU and have come back to the high school and not be able to play any better on the defensive end. I think that AAU play is faster and allows the players to score, but it does not help out much on their defense. The shot clock has too many costs involved with it. All the schools can not afford to have shot clocks installed. Plus the purpose of high school sports is not to develop the next Michael Jordan or the next Peyton Manning. High school sports are there to develop some life lessons that help young people mature as they get older. Along the way you might have an athlete that will earn a scholorship off of their ability. This world has put too much importance on winning at the High School Level.

Some good points.

I'll throw this in as well.....

1) If you can play, you will be found. Shot clock or not.

2) If financial feasability isnt enough questions, where would schools put shot clocks (Yes, clocks, must have two for this to work properly)? I've been to some gyms that would be lucky enough to stick one more person in the gym.

QUOTE(PTSportsWriter @ Mar 14 2007 - 09:25 AM) 826411349[/snapback]Some good points.

I'll throw this in as well.....

1) If you can play, you will be found. Shot clock or not.

2) If financial feasability isnt enough questions, where would schools put shot clocks (Yes, clocks, must have two for this to work properly)? I've been to some gyms that would be lucky enough to stick one more person in the gym.

Hey PT, When will you be back to Elizabethton?

How much do those things cost? And how much would Pepsi, Coca Cola, etc., pay toward installation; it's amazing how much Corporate America contributes toward such implementations. Just curious.

QUOTE(bubblegum99 @ Mar 14 2007 - 07:35 AM) 826411171[/snapback]I knew you had to be a Gleason fan before I ever looked up the team nickname. It was entertaining to you because your team won. I f you were on the short end of a 35-32 game your views would be different and I am not from OS. Someone will hold the ball on you and your TIME MANAGEMENT theory will be skewed, I guarantee it.

Several people have valid points about shot clocks. But, first let me say, I have seen Gleason lose by a few points and the other team hold the ball. I never heard of anybdoy including myself start begging for a shot clcok. A team loses a state championship game and instead of admitting that it just wasn't their night, they want a shot clock. I guess they think that would have made a difference. Let's assume we put shot clock in for next year and the same two teams meet in the state championship. Once again, Gleason wins but this time by 100pts. I would bet the same OS fans that think a shot clock is a great idea this year would be on here saying it was the stupiest thing TSSAA ever done.

What I disagree with the most is the fact this thread started after the game on Saturday. Several OS fans, regardless if you are one of them or not, has stated we need a shot clock. Why? because in my opinion, they believe if they had a shot clock on Saturday they would have won. Also, it's my opinon, that if you take the same situation and OS could have caused some turnovers or stole the ball and won the game even by 1pt this thread wouldn't even be a topic.

I disagree with a shot clock, but I promises you I don't disagree with a shot clock near as much as I do using it for an excuse. Since obviously you believe there should be a shot clock let me ask you a question. You are in a game and leading by 2pts, there is 38 secs left in the game, and there is NO shot clock. Are going to hold the ball for 38secs and win the game or would you shoot the ball at the 30 sec mark and give the other team a chance to tie or even win the game? You, OS fans, and OS players would hold the ball to win the game. Bottom line this whole thread is nothing more then a poor excuse for losing a game and not having defense that could do anything about it..... The real problem is a bad defense being dominated by a good offense strategy. The excuse is no shot clock. TSSAA has annouced there will be no shot clock.... Guess teams better work on their defense or just stink it up. I have to give some credit to Gleason. I really believe instead them winning by 25 or 28pts like they did in the first two games, they were just trying to pass the ball around and keep the game close, so OS would like they actually deserved to be in a title game with Gleason.. I guess it was a bad decission they should have just blowed them out like they did Forest & Jackson Co.

QUOTE(greenwheel @ Mar 12 2007 - 03:56 PM) 826409338[/snapback]So would a shot clock guarantee more points being scored? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

In the Gleason- Jackson matchup I guaruntee it would have been 100+ to 40 something, with a shot clock.

Gleason played defence like there is no tomorrow.