Homerun Hitters - Beech Playday

mamabear

QUOTE(#12fan @ Mar 18 2007 - 01:31 PM) 826416285[/snapback]Swingaway & std have both made some valid points here. The truth is that coaches are just like anyone else. Some are up front about what they expect from a player before entering a program & some are not. My daughter plays D-1 softball & her coach was very up front about what he expected from her. On the other hand, Sarah Fekete who graduated from UT last year is a classic example of a prospect who was not told what to expect up front from her college coach. SHE HAD NEVER BATTED FROM THE LEFT SIDE IN HER LIFE BEFORE GOING TO UT. Ralph Weekly handed her a video tape of slap hitting & told her to learn it or she was OUT! It did make for ill will but to her credit, she had the work ethic and the drive to succeed and she made herself into the D-1 batting avg. champion last year as a lefty slap hitter. Different kids do leave programs for a variety of reasons such as grades, behavior issues, or lack of playing time and some kids just don't have the work ethic to succeed at that level. I believe that the best things you can do to prepare your child for playing in college is playing ASA gold softball where you're facing the best competition in the country, which only makes them better and letting your child know that once you have the opportunity to play in college, you must make good grades and know that whatever sport you play, it's more like a job in college. You must stay dedicated to it or you will not succeed.

Good points

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(std @ Mar 17 2007 - 11:26 PM) 826415909[/snapback]If you truly believe that I have some swamp land I need to talk with you about. Being up front with what your roll will be is not at all what goes on in general with recruiting. Telling you what it takes to get you there is what happens and once there things change signigicantly. I think that in the recruiting process a player should be told come to school here, show us what you have and if you earn a spot then you will play. Blind promises make for ill will. You have to be given an opportunity to show your talents.

Actually, it depends on the coach. I was told during my kid's recruiting process to beware of any coach that guarantees them playing time, especialy at a particular position. My DD's college coach told her she'd like to see her at "x" position but it depended on her work ethic and progress. There are definitely no free passes in college ball - you have to work hard and stay tough because chances are there is someone right behind ready to take over if you get complacent.

Playing a tough, competitive Gold schedule is without a doubt the best way to prepare for college ball. Even doing this, there is as big a difference between Gold ball and college ball and there is high school ball and Gold ball in a conference like the SEC.

#12fan. You know most coaches tell the players what they want to hear. In Sarah's case I'm sure she was a great player. But I also believe that her career at TN would not have been anything like what it was because of what the Weekly's did. Coaches are paid to make a good player great. That is what they did with Sarah. Look at her stats. I mean the best better in D1 ball. Coaches especially those as good as the Weekly's see the strength and weaknesses in each player. They pick up on those and make that player into a much better player. Thats why TN is the number one team in the nation. Maybe there was some ill will to the Weekly's for not telling her up front what their plans were. Did you ever think that maybe after watching her more and more they thought you know she has the speed to be a great slap hitter for this team. I'm sorry but after watching TN softball for many years the Weekly's helped Sarah become what she became, one of the best hitters in America. Not quite sure she would have done the same batting as a righty and trying it the regular way. I watched her in high school and although a very good player, they turned Sarah into a D1 All American So i don't think that the Weekly's need to give her any apologies. Also I know she worked very hard to become what she became at TN. My thing is without the switch to a slap-hitter she would not have became a All-American a good player yes.

Here are some of her stats http://utladyvols.cstv.com/sports/w-softbl.../071306aaa.html.

I would take a coach that can make my son produce to the best of his abilities, and for the best of the team. Than doing what my son or I thought was the best thing for him. Just my humble opinion but the time, effort, and the Money spent on these girls to play softball is ridiculous for them to just sit the bench instead of changing they way in which they do something. I also think that with TN softball being behind as far as talent than Cal, or Texas the Weekly's know what they are doing to make the girl the best than can be.

You are very right. You know I do not know WHY parents and players think being a slapper is such a bad thing. I mean I hear " My daughters no slapper, why does the coach want her to slap........she's a power hitter" all the time. The Weekly's did MAKE Sarah. She was a walk on player and look what they turned her into. Slappers with speed are the most highly sought after players after pitchers.

Also I am not trying to say she was a bad player either. Ijust think that the game has changed from just a bunch of power hitters that weigh 250lbs to these tiny little slap hitters that run like the devil. I would take a team full of slap hitters versus a lineup of nothing but power hitters all day. Great pitchers can strike out a home run hitter. But for what these girls hit on average when slapping and putting the ball in play they produce runs and force many errors. Again I thought Sarah was a good ballplayer in high school just not what she turned out to be later in her career.