What Happened to Clarksville?

UPSGregg

I heard Clarksville High lost to Brentwood 8-0 this week! Man what has happened to them? I don't recall a CHS team ever losing to anyone that badly. Not any recent team anyway. I'm not even sure the first team they ever had lost that badly but I may be wrong. The most lopsided losses I remember were 4-0 or less. No matter how good the team they were playing was. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

QUOTE(UPSGregg @ Mar 17 2007 - 11:47 AM) 826415262[/snapback]I heard Clarksville High lost to Brentwood 8-0 this week! Man what has happened to them? I don't recall a CHS team ever losing to anyone that badly. Not any recent team anyway. I'm not even sure the first team they ever had lost that badly but I may be wrong. The most lopsided losses I remember were 4-0 or less. No matter how good the team they were playing was. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

what other kind of out come would you have expected??? just curious

QUOTE(UPSGregg @ Mar 17 2007 - 10:47 AM) 826415262[/snapback]I heard Clarksville High lost to Brentwood 8-0 this week! Man what has happened to them? I don't recall a CHS team ever losing to anyone that badly. Not any recent team anyway. I'm not even sure the first team they ever had lost that badly but I may be wrong. The most lopsided losses I remember were 4-0 or less. No matter how good the team they were playing was. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

it could have been just a bad game or brentwood was just making every opportunity..

QUOTE((.)(.) @ Mar 17 2007 - 12:19 PM) 826415350[/snapback]what other kind of out come would you have expected??? just curious

I would never have expeted them to have been beaten 8-0! We never lost to anyone that badly when I played. 4-0 was the worst we ever experience and I don't recal any worse beatings than that before my time and not anytime since. Maybe their first team in 1983 but I'm not sure. I think they had a pretty lopsided game last year but it wasn't against Brentwood and it wasn't 8-0. CHS has always had a decent team. Some pretty darn good and some average but never a team one would expect to lose to anyone that badly. Not even on a down year. CHS has had a team for 24 years and has probably only beaten and tied teams such as Brentwood and Hendersonville like 3 or 4 times but they never had their way with CHS like Brentwood did last week. As a graduate of CHS I'm just a little concerned. That's all. Maybe the talent has dropped that much lately.

you could have looked to the local youth teams years ago and seen a slight decline happening. who knows why they lost so badly. don't get me wrong, there are still quality players at CHS just maybe not as many as in years past. It's still early in the season, you could probably go ahead and rule them out as a state championship caliber team but they have plenty of time to improve and make some noise.

Hi. I don't mean to post this thread at the top of the board and beat a dead horse but I just wanted to add something to this. First off, I don't remember any time in the past ten years that they've lost that bad. I do however remember that several years ago (I mean going way back) they got shalacked by some team in Chattanooga; I think it was Baylor or Notre Dame. There have been several times that they have lost to Hendersonville by 4 or 5 goals. Brentwood usually would beat on them like a drum if Brentwood happened to be up that year, but then again save Terry Shrok's team in 95 and that group of horses a few years ago, everyone in Tennessee knows that Brentwood always peaks too early. My best guess is that either there is a new sheriff in Clarksville or it was simply a night that Brentwood was on fire. Maybe it was both. Clarksville has always been one to be respectable and Brentwood hasn't necessarily; this means that the score is probably right. It's always hard to tell whenever Clarksville plays teams like Hendersonville or Houston or even Bearden. Donahue used to be good friends with all those coaches so if his team was down they'd lay off. Brentwood never did except when Shrok was there. Give that team some time. I have seen on the NSCAA scoreboard that they have a good little tournament coming up shortly. That will give us all a good frame of reference.

QUOTE(world cup @ Mar 22 2007 - 09:41 AM) 826420185[/snapback]Hi. I don't mean to post this thread at the top of the board and beat a dead horse but I just wanted to add something to this. First off, I don't remember any time in the past ten years that they've lost that bad. I do however remember that several years ago (I mean going way back) they got shalacked by some team in Chattanooga; I think it was Baylor or Notre Dame. There have been several times that they have lost to Hendersonville by 4 or 5 goals. Brentwood usually would beat on them like a drum if Brentwood happened to be up that year, but then again save Terry Shrok's team in 95 and that group of horses a few years ago, everyone in Tennessee knows that Brentwood always peaks too early. My best guess is that either there is a new sheriff in Clarksville or it was simply a night that Brentwood was on fire. Maybe it was both. Clarksville has always been one to be respectable and Brentwood hasn't necessarily; this means that the score is probably right. It's always hard to tell whenever Clarksville plays teams like Hendersonville or Houston or even Bearden. Donahue used to be good friends with all those coaches so if his team was down they'd lay off. Brentwood never did except when Shrok was there. Give that team some time. I have seen on the NSCAA scoreboard that they have a good little tournament coming up shortly. That will give us all a good frame of reference.

That shalackling in Chattanooga was some time in the early 80s. Like in 83 or 84. I remember Donahue telling us about it. The next year CHS beat that same team. I wish I could remember which school it was. I also want to think it was Baylor but I may be wrong. I just remember that even our worst teams didn't get beat by more than 4 goals. Even on down years CHS has always been able to play good defense and keep the score from getting out of hand. Our style of play was always called "Rope a dope" because we played defense most of the game and relied on counter strikes and set plays to score. I remember one year we scored like 65% of our goals on set plays.

Youth development in Clarksville has been on the decline for years. It's not just a problem at CHS. Rossview is also nowhere close to what they have been the last couple of years. There's also too many schools in the area for anyone to be competitive on the state level, but in the end it all goes back to a lack of youth development.