TEMPLE

Green_Acres

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the conversation that we will be having in the future! Temple looks to be back at "pre-Skogen" teams.

Maybe the conversation that we will be having in the future! Temple looks to be back at "pre-Skogen" teams, but without a Glascock, Wadley, Templeton, Skogen, or anything resembling them as a coach.

This hire is seems very typical of how things are being done at Temple now. From what I understand Greg Brown was not even contacted about the job. I am sure Caleb Marcum is a good guy but he hasn't been a head coach, and he hasn't won anywhere he has been. I hope that things go okay, I just don't know if this was the best decision to make.

Caleb will do fine. He is a Temple High School graduate and he has played temple ball. He played for Templeton, and Wadley his senior year. I could be wrong, but I think that was the year. Of course it will take time to build his team. He will get to know them and get into a style of playing, whether it is what he was taught, or if he has his own style. The point is that he will need time to build the program back up. I am sure there will be a lot of critics along the way. Temple people just need to pray for Caleb to seek God's wisdom and for the school.

I am sure Caleb will do a fine job, eventually and I agree that we need to pray for him (No, he does not have any sons, but I think he has a step-daughter).

Mrs. Pearson mentioned in the paper something about his longevity. He has never coached high school basketball. He has not ever coached longer than two years in one place. He has three years total experience. Where he has coached basketball did not have good programs. Someone mentioned earlier that he hasn't won. Those are things that concern me for a kid that is pretty much fresh out of college and probably would not have even been considered for the job if it was not for his connections. These are things that concern me considering that there were more qualified, experienced, capable candidates for the job. It has a very distinct smell of this year's girls' basketball program. I am reminded again of the adminstration's incapacity to make any kind of good decisions when it comes to the athletic program and the future direction of Temple.

What is it that excites Mrs. Pearson about the future of Temple's athletic program, it's demise?

PBG, thanks for your encouraging comments about Caleb and you are right, he will probably do a good job just from his experience from being at the school but, with the emerging talent coming back next year, I am concerned that there isn't much time and my hope was that we would have someone come in who would not try to change things around but stay in line with a proven system. I do not know if there is a better defensive team on the floor then the one we saw in Murfreesboro. The teams he referred to in the past when he was a player never won a title other than the one when he was in college.

It seems to me that a seasoned veteran was what we needed to step in and take up the fight, not an uproven kid. He really, in my opinion, does not have the credentials to be an assistant coach at the high school level much less be the AD and head boys coach.

QUOTE(Pasture @ Mar 27 2007 - 08:34 AM) 826423804[/snapback]I am sure Caleb will do a fine job, eventually and I agree that we need to pray for him (No, he does not have any sons, but I think he has a step-daughter).

Mrs. Pearson mentioned in the paper something about his longevity. He has never coached high school basketball. He has not ever coached longer than two years in one place. He has three years total experience. Where he has coached basketball did not have good programs. Someone mentioned earlier that he hasn't won. Those are things that concern me for a kid that is pretty much fresh out of college and probably would not have even been considered for the job if it was not for his connections. These are things that concern me considering that there were more qualified, experienced, capable candidates for the job. It has a very distinct smell of this year's girls' basketball program. I am reminded again of the adminstration's incapacity to make any kind of good decisions when it comes to the athletic program and the future direction of Temple.

What is it that excites Mrs. Pearson about the future of Temple's athletic program, it's demise?

PBG, thanks for your encouraging comments about Caleb and you are right, he will probably do a good job just from his experience from being at the school but, with the emerging talent coming back next year, I am concerned that there isn't much time and my hope was that we would have someone come in who would not try to change things around but stay in line with a proven system. I do not know if there is a better defensive team on the floor then the one we saw in Murfreesboro. The teams he referred to in the past when he was a player never won a title other than the one when he was in college.

It seems to me that a seasoned veteran was what we needed to step in and take up the fight, not an uproven kid. He really, in my opinion, does not have the credentials to be an assistant coach at the high school level much less be the AD and head boys coach.

It is one thing to be a head coach at 25, but an athletic director? That is a lot of responsibility and requires a lot of experience.