Tyner Boys Basketball Program

Not too sure of all the details, but I do know they hosted the sub-state game and then got beat in the first round by Austin-East, couldn't handle the pressure on the ball. That City team was very good, but I'm sure Tyner would have had to beat them in the Region Championship to host the Sub-State. I believe that Region Championship was played at Cleveland State. As far as Hinton and AJ, they were great football players playing basketball. AJ was more of a trash man and played real good defense. Rory shot the ball well when he got hot and played good solid defense. You are right in the fact that we don't need to worry about the past, just who will be the man for the future.

Higgins plans on putting in for the job. I talked to him the other day. Right now I dont think Tyner has the athletes to make that job attractive. They loose a lot from this years team and really dont have the talent to make any noise in the city against teams like HOWARD, Brainerd, Temple, CSAS, CCS, East Ridge. Maybe even 21st Century

QUOTE(t-mac @ Mar 30 2007 - 12:03 PM) 826426618[/snapback]I remember Long, Dickerson, and Snowbird from middle school. Goodlow was the best player on that team but he dropped out. I remember when they played Alton Park for the championship and lost. In fact they lost to AP 3 times that year unfortunately no one from that alton park team played for bowles that next year and McCallie came to bowles the next year and became a 4 year starter at point guard. Thats probably why Tyner went 14-2

those were all young players in coach thompson program.those kids could play and were fundamentally sound. they could run the secondry break like nc and you know dillard didnt teach em that. that bunch would have won the state if thompson didn't leave because he had issues with dillard still being at the school and carrying grudges against the program.

QUOTE(tn sarcasm @ Mar 30 2007 - 12:42 PM) 826426650[/snapback]those were all young players in coach thompson program.those kids could play and were fundamentally sound. they could run the secondry break like nc and you know dillard didnt teach em that. that bunch would have won the state if thompson didn't leave because he had issues with dillard still being at the school and carrying grudges against the program.

That group never even made it to the state!!! So how would they have won it. That group didnt even win a distric championship. Dickerson was terrible and only got recognition because of his dad. Long was a solid player and deserved every bit of attention he got. During those years It was brainerd and everybody else, until their senior year. But how many distric championships did Tyner win during those players 4 years at Tyner? 0. So how could they win state

QUOTE(t-mac @ Mar 30 2007 - 01:09 PM) 826426664[/snapback]That group never even made it to the state!!! So how would they have won it. That group didnt even win a distric championship. Dickerson was terrible and only got recognition because of his dad. Long was a solid player and deserved every bit of attention he got. During those years It was brainerd and everybody else, until their senior year. But how many distric championships did Tyner win during those players 4 years at Tyner? 0. So how could they win state

In all fairness to Jimmy he was a great "players" coach. Steve was a really good practice and bench coach but he didn't seem to "connect" to the kids like Jimmy did. I think had Thompson stayed he would have taken the program to the top but we will never know that. I do know there was constant friction between the two but I guess that was to be expected.

QUOTE(Rade Butcher @ Mar 30 2007 - 02:02 PM) 826426699[/snapback]In all fairness to Jimmy he was a great "players" coach. Steve was a really good practice and bench coach but he didn't seem to "connect" to the kids like Jimmy did. I think had Thompson stayed he would have taken the program to the top but we will never know that. I do know there was constant friction between the two but I guess that was to be expected.

Tyner last made it to the state in 99 Gary Long last year.

QUOTE(t-mac @ Mar 30 2007 - 01:09 PM) 826426664[/snapback]That group never even made it to the state!!! So how would they have won it. That group didnt even win a distric championship. Dickerson was terrible and only got recognition because of his dad. Long was a solid player and deserved every bit of attention he got. During those years It was brainerd and everybody else, until their senior year. But how many distric championships did Tyner win during those players 4 years at Tyner? 0. So how could they win state

Brian Dickerson and Gary Long were both quality players. Word is Leroy wants this job so bad he is willing to sell his soul. I just hope he doesn't put his eggs in this basket. I just don't think he is "Tyner material".

QUOTE(Rade Butcher @ Apr 2 2007 - 09:01 AM) 826428134[/snapback]Brian Dickerson and Gary Long were both quality players. Word is Leroy wants this job so bad he is willing to sell his soul. I just hope he doesn't put his eggs in this basket. I just don't think he is "Tyner material".

I just know they lost to a below average howard team that had only one solid player(Kevin McCauley) in the distric. Long was the real deal, but Dickerson was not. You saw what happened to his stint at UTC after his dad was fired. I saw him get out played night in and night out by Jermaine Washington, Steve Sills, Kevin McCauley, and Harris Walker. Long held his own against anyone

QUOTE(t-mac @ Apr 2 2007 - 02:31 PM) 826428321[/snapback]I just know they lost to a below average howard team that had only one solid player(Kevin McCauley) in the distric. Long was the real deal, but Dickerson was not. You saw what happened to his stint at UTC after his dad was fired. I saw him get out played night in and night out by Jermaine Washington, Steve Sills, Kevin McCauley, and Harris Walker. Long held his own against anyone

any word on this job. higgins seems to be the only serious applicant so far.

QUOTE(topper06 @ Apr 10 2007 - 10:00 AM) 826433903[/snapback]any word on this job. higgins seems to be the only serious applicant so far.

He may just be the only one! No one is lining up and really wanting this job plus Higgins is a proven winner.

Leroy 4 President!!!!