Edmondson out at Unionville

DNP

Coach Mike Edmondson has been relieved of his coaching duties at Community High School in Unionville. The principal stated that it was time for a new direction for the program.

Who gets this position now?

Where does Edmondson go from here? He wants to stay in coaching.

Here is the link to the story in the Shelbyville Times-Gazette

www.t-g.com/story/1195212.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DNP @ Mar 25 2007 - 03:17 PM) 826422208[/snapback]Coach Mike Edmondson has been relieved of his coaching duties at Community High School in Unionville. The principal stated that it was time for a new direction for the program.

Who gets this position now?

Where does Edmondson go from here? He wants to stay in coaching.

Here is the link to the story in the Shelbyville Times-Gazette

www.t-g.com/story/1195212.html

He is a good coach and I wish him the best.

WOW! I found out about Edmondson's dissmissal from some of the people around Shelbyville this weekend at a softball event and already the rumors are flying about Coach Pope leaving Cascade and taking the job. I saw him in the hallway this morning and before I could get the question out of my mouth he cut me off with a "no". So, I guess he won't be leaving, wonder who might take that job? Suggestions.......

Absolutely!

Everyone knows there was a meeting called to complain about Mike and the administration. They did however invite the administration but in true coward style they did not invite Mike to be present to defend himself. Some of the parents thought they were suppose to attend the meeting because they thought it was a "team meeting" and had no idea what they were walking into.... I find it very odd that for 20 years no one really had any trouble or complants that would warrent taking his job from him until he decided to play freshmen and an eigth grader over the Sophomores. The parents did not care if the team won or lost as long as their kids were on the floor. They feel because their kid is older he should get to play more. Even if it ment losing the game... They should take a long look at the stas or the game film and look at who is making the points, rebounds and assists, before they kick and scream, however I don't think they even care. I hope in 10 years when their kids are not playing ball and life goes on, they are happy with the desision they made.

QUOTE(SOMA72 @ Mar 29 2007 - 11:29 AM) 826425755[/snapback]Absolutely!

Everyone knows there was a meeting called to complain about Mike and the administration. They did however invite the administration but in true coward style they did not invite Mike to be present to defend himself. Some of the parents thought they were suppose to attend the meeting because they thought it was a "team meeting" and had no idea what they were walking into.... I find it very odd that for 20 years no one really had any trouble or complants that would warrent taking his job from him until he decided to play freshmen and an eigth grader over the Sophomores. The parents did not care if the team won or lost as long as their kids were on the floor. They feel because their kid is older he should get to play more. Even if it ment losing the game... They should take a long look at the stas or the game film and look at who is making the points, rebounds and assists, before they kick and scream, however I don't think they even care. I hope in 10 years when their kids are not playing ball and life goes on, they are happy with the desision they made.

The sole reason was him being dismissed was not certain people having a vendetta against Mike as you are implying. It was more of a decision based on productivity of the team. This was not the first time an attempt was made to get him replaced at Community. I don't think any parents had a personal issue with Coach Edmonson. I'd say you'd have a hard time finding anyone who would say anything bad about the man. As is the case in this profession, results determine your longivity and quite frankly the program has underachieved for a long time. Whether that is entirely Mike's fault or not, is questionable, but when you are the top guy, you have to accept that responsibility. Everyone in this profession understands that as I'm sure Mike does. The idea that he was released because certain kids didn't get the playing time they deserved is way off base and merely sour grapes. I think a change for both Mike and the team will hopefully rejuvenate both. Good luck to Mike in his next job and good luck to the Vikings next season!

QUOTE(CoachforLife @ Apr 2 2007 - 08:49 AM) 826428091[/snapback]The sole reason was him being dismissed was not certain people having a vendetta against Mike as you are implying. It was more of a decision based on productivity of the team. This was not the first time an attempt was made to get him replaced at Community. I don't think any parents had a personal issue with Coach Edmonson. I'd say you'd have a hard time finding anyone who would say anything bad about the man. As is the case in this profession, results determine your longivity and quite frankly the program has underachieved for a long time. Whether that is entirely Mike's fault or not, is questionable, but when you are the top guy, you have to accept that responsibility. Everyone in this profession understands that as I'm sure Mike does. The idea that he was released because certain kids didn't get the playing time they deserved is way off base and merely sour grapes. I think a change for both Mike and the team will hopefully rejuvenate both. Good luck to Mike in his next job and good luck to the Vikings next season!

I have to agree with Coach for Life. Coach Edmondson is very well liked and respected in the Unionville community as well as the surrounding areas. I know Robert Ralston and I can tell you that parent dissatisfaction had nothing to do with his decision to take the Viking basketball program in another direction. It is not in his make up to make administrative moves based on what other people think. He backs his staff 100 percent. Coach for Life very aptly points out the real reason for his dismissal. Coaches are held to the highest standard of accountability for the success of their programs and that standard is judged by wins and losses. Mike was very aware of that. The newspaper article pretty much summed it up when it stated that 12 wins was the most for the boys team in recent memory. The program wasn't showing any signs of real and measurable progress. Hence the change. Both Ralston and Edmondson has conducted themselves in a professional manner. No finger pointing. Let's all try to follow their example. Good luck Coach Edmondson. Your faith will sustain you.

QUOTE(baseballlover @ Apr 2 2007 - 10:39 AM) 826428170[/snapback]I have to agree with Coach for Life. Coach Edmondson is very well liked and respected in the Unionville community as well as the surrounding areas. I know Robert Ralston and I can tell you that parent dissatisfaction had nothing to do with his decision to take the Viking basketball program in another direction. It is not in his make up to make administrative moves based on what other people think. He backs his staff 100 percent. Coach for Life very aptly points out the real reason for his dismissal. Coaches are held to the highest standard of accountability for the success of their programs and that standard is judged by wins and losses. Mike was very aware of that. The newspaper article pretty much summed it up when it stated that 12 wins was the most for the boys team in recent memory. The program wasn't showing any signs of real and measurable progress. Hence the change. Both Ralston and Edmondson has conducted themselves in a professional manner. No finger pointing. Let's all try to follow their example. Good luck Coach Edmondson. Your faith will sustain you.

Wow..another coach gets fired after giving his all to a program for most of his career. From what I read in the newspaper article in the local paper is that Coach Edmondson had a really great run when he started in 1988 - 1989. After that, not much was mentioned. My question is before the 88-89 season or after, what happened? I read on here all the time about people wanting coaching changes as if that will solve their problems. If a program has never won on a consistant level, what makes you think a coaching change will help. If a school goes 40 to 50 years and has only 1 substate appearance to show for it, maybe the truth is that the plyers aren't very good or you are in a district/region that every year has more talent. Since loyalty to a coach who stayed this long is out the window, I think all coaches should start adopting the "strike while the kettle is hot" method. If you win 15 - 20 games at a school or take them to a level that they have never been too, then that coach should get out while the getting is good. Never mind being a good educator in the classroom, a good citizen in the community, and a positive influence for young men who may not have a solid family base at home. Throw out the fact that you spend alot of valuable time away from your family that a coach will never get back. Don't include the verbal abuse that a coach, a coaches spouse and his/her children may hear over the years to go along with the wonderful compensation you receive as well. Because being a person of this stature will only get you the door when a few parents get their feathers ruffled and we all know that if the right parents get ruffled, anything can happen. At what point to you let a coach finish his career in a place this coach evidentally loved. He loved it enough to stay for this long probably through more bad seasons than good. But it's the world we live in, a me society. The real question here is, who do the people of this school think they can get to come to a small single A school with a history of average teams to take them where they want to go? Where do they think they can go? You will never get a coach with a reputation of winning to come. The only chance you have is to find a young assistant coach somewhere who has ties to your county that would come in for his/her first head job and then probably bail on you after any success if he/she is smart. I know this is long but after having read alot of threads on here all year long about coaches, I just wanted to say my peace. I hope Coach Edmondson well and I hope this and all schools start evaluating the reality of their situations and start realizing that wins aren't always as important as the kind of young men the coach turns out every year.