Edmondson out at Unionville

DNP

QUOTE(Big Boy @ Apr 2 2007 - 12:09 PM) 826428226[/snapback]Wow..another coach gets fired after giving his all to a program for most of his career. From what I read in the newspaper article in the local paper is that Coach Edmondson had a really great run when he started in 1988 - 1989. After that, not much was mentioned. My question is before the 88-89 season or after, what happened? I read on here all the time about people wanting coaching changes as if that will solve their problems. If a program has never won on a consistant level, what makes you think a coaching change will help. If a school goes 40 to 50 years and has only 1 substate appearance to show for it, maybe the truth is that the plyers aren't very good or you are in a district/region that every year has more talent. Since loyalty to a coach who stayed this long is out the window, I think all coaches should start adopting the "strike while the kettle is hot" method. If you win 15 - 20 games at a school or take them to a level that they have never been too, then that coach should get out while the getting is good. Never mind being a good educator in the classroom, a good citizen in the community, and a positive influence for young men who may not have a solid family base at home. Throw out the fact that you spend alot of valuable time away from your family that a coach will never get back. Don't include the verbal abuse that a coach, a coaches spouse and his/her children may hear over the years to go along with the wonderful compensation you receive as well. Because being a person of this stature will only get you the door when a few parents get their feathers ruffled and we all know that if the right parents get ruffled, anything can happen. At what point to you let a coach finish his career in a place this coach evidentally loved. He loved it enough to stay for this long probably through more bad seasons than good. But it's the world we live in, a me society. The real question here is, who do the people of this school think they can get to come to a small single A school with a history of average teams to take them where they want to go? Where do they think they can go? You will never get a coach with a reputation of winning to come. The only chance you have is to find a young assistant coach somewhere who has ties to your county that would come in for his/her first head job and then probably bail on you after any success if he/she is smart. I know this is long but after having read alot of threads on here all year long about coaches, I just wanted to say my peace. I hope Coach Edmondson well and I hope this and all schools start evaluating the reality of their situations and start realizing that wins aren't always as important as the kind of young men the coach turns out every year.

I've stayed away from this topic for personal reasons, but I will address one thing you brought up. There was many great years of basketball at this school during the early 80's, so it is not a situation where you can't win there. I don't know exactly what Mikes overall record was during the twenty years there, but I think it was somewhere around 500. Due to the fact that Community has never had a football team until recently, I don't think there was as much emphasis placed on winning. With the addition of a football program and the continued growth of the athletic program, winning does eventually become an issue. The plain and simple fact is, a Community doesn't go to support a program thats unsuccessful. The may be terrible, but if you can't bring the Alumni $$ back into the program, you don't have the resources to support the programs. Hard, cold, facts of life. Yes, you should place value on the person as an educator and mentor to your child, I don't think anyone is questioning that. It's real easy to get on here and criticize the ones that had to make the tough decisions, but when the kids, fans, alumni, and parents sour on a program, this is what it almost always leads to. I also wish Mike the best of luck and think that given the right situation he will be very successful in future employment.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cascade11 @ Apr 2 2007 - 01:28 PM) 826428288[/snapback]I've stayed away from this topic for personal reasons, but I will address one thing you brought up. There was many great years of basketball at this school during the early 80's, so it is not a situation where you can't win there. I don't know exactly what Mikes overall record was during the twenty years there, but I think it was somewhere around 500. Due to the fact that Community has never had a football team until recently, I don't think there was as much emphasis placed on winning. With the addition of a football program and the continued growth of the athletic program, winning does eventually become an issue. The plain and simple fact is, a Community doesn't go to support a program thats unsuccessful. The may be terrible, but if you can't bring the Alumni $$ back into the program, you don't have the resources to support the programs. Hard, cold, facts of life. Yes, you should place value on the person as an educator and mentor to your child, I don't think anyone is questioning that. It's real easy to get on here and criticize the ones that had to make the tough decisions, but when the kids, fans, alumni, and parents sour on a program, this is what it almost always leads to. I also wish Mike the best of luck and think that given the right situation he will be very successful in future employment.

Good points...so I take it this is an area in which alumni are very avid basketball people waiting to back a winner. Is there a coach out there with local ties that could get this going cause it seems like this would be the only fit in this situation? I am not familiar with the area so I don't know. I wish the old coach, the new coach and the program alot of success in the future.

QUOTE(cascade11 @ Apr 2 2007 - 01:28 PM) 826428288[/snapback]I've stayed away from this topic for personal reasons, but I will address one thing you brought up. There was many great years of basketball at this school during the early 80's, so it is not a situation where you can't win there. I don't know exactly what Mikes overall record was during the twenty years there, but I think it was somewhere around 500. Due to the fact that Community has never had a football team until recently, I don't think there was as much emphasis placed on winning. With the addition of a football program and the continued growth of the athletic program, winning does eventually become an issue. The plain and simple fact is, a Community doesn't go to support a program thats unsuccessful. The may be terrible, but if you can't bring the Alumni $$ back into the program, you don't have the resources to support the programs. Hard, cold, facts of life. Yes, you should place value on the person as an educator and mentor to your child, I don't think anyone is questioning that. It's real easy to get on here and criticize the ones that had to make the tough decisions, but when the kids, fans, alumni, and parents sour on a program, this is what it almost always leads to. I also wish Mike the best of luck and think that given the right situation he will be very successful in future employment.

Coach Edmondson had a 280-260 record in his twenty years. Both of the previous posts have considerable merit regarding his situation. He is an outstanding man that has been a valued member of the coaching fraternity. He has made it perfectly clear that he will continue coaching somewhere. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. I think that he may very well end up in a better situation for himself and his family. I hope so. In the meantime Community has not only lost a dedicated member of their staff in more areas than one, but they will also in all likelyhood lose his four children, all of which are model citizens and honor roll students. Community's loss will be some other schools gain.

QUOTE(Big Boy @ Apr 2 2007 - 01:56 PM) 826428301[/snapback]Good points...so I take it this is an area in which alumni are very avid basketball people waiting to back a winner. Is there a coach out there with local ties that could get this going cause it seems like this would be the only fit in this situation? I am not familiar with the area so I don't know. I wish the old coach, the new coach and the program alot of success in the future.

Unionville is a rabid sports community and are very deserving of a winning program. The alumni has become more demanding in this area and to a point rightfully so. There are several local coaches that would be an excellent fit, Charlie Pope, Chad Spencer, Robert West and James Garcia come immediately to mind. West would have to volunteer, but he is an excellent tactician and the teams he coaches are well disciplined and prepared for their opponent. Pope has a great job already, but he played for Edmondson and the two remain close and it would be a fairly easy transition for him. Spencer is one of the most successful middle school coaches in the mid-state and is an Insell disciple. He has sent several kids on to Shelbyville that started as freshmen. I am not sure if any have shown intrest or have been approached.

QUOTE(baseballlover @ Apr 2 2007 - 04:14 PM) 826428380[/snapback]Unionville is a rabid sports community and are very deserving of a winning program. The alumni has become more demanding in this area and to a point rightfully so. There are several local coaches that would be an excellent fit, Charlie Pope, Chad Spencer, Robert West and James Garcia come immediately to mind. West would have to volunteer, but he is an excellent tactician and the teams he coaches are well disciplined and prepared for their opponent. Pope has a great job already, but he played for Edmondson and the two remain close and it would be a fairly easy transition for him. Spencer is one of the most successful middle school coaches in the mid-state and is an Insell disciple. He has sent several kids on to Shelbyville that started as freshmen. I am not sure if any have shown intrest or have been approached.

I also noticed in your paper that the girls coach resigned as well. Same kind of deal or a different issue? Is the Insell disciple (funny) a girls or guys candidate? Maybe what you need because we all know Insell could go out and get the best players, no matter where they were from. It shows at MTSU because he is a heck of a recruiter and is doing a fine job there.

QUOTE(Big Boy @ Apr 4 2007 - 09:19 AM) 826429630[/snapback]I also noticed in your paper that the girls coach resigned as well. Same kind of deal or a different issue? Is the Insell disciple (funny) a girls or guys candidate? Maybe what you need because we all know Insell could go out and get the best players, no matter where they were from. It shows at MTSU because he is a heck of a recruiter and is doing a fine job there.

Tony Garrette resigned for personal reasons. He has two young sons that he wanted to be home more with. He coached for 17 of his 18 years teaching and just felt that he would devote more of his time with his family. He retains his job as the athletic director so he will still be involved.

The Insell disciple coached both the boys and girls teams at Liberty Middle School where he won a combined 120 games or so against 40 or so losses the last few years running basically the same scheme that Insell installed at Shelbyville and now at MTSU. He may however be to intense for Community if there is such a thing.

QUOTE(baseballlover @ Apr 4 2007 - 10:22 AM) 826429667[/snapback]Tony Garrette resigned for personal reasons. He has two young sons that he wanted to be home more with. He coached for 17 of his 18 years teaching and just felt that he would devote more of his time with his family. He retains his job as the athletic director so he will still be involved.

The Insell disciple coached both the boys and girls teams at Liberty Middle School where he won a combined 120 games or so against 40 or so losses the last few years running basically the same scheme that Insell installed at Shelbyville and now at MTSU. He may however be to intense for Community if there is such a thing.

If your referring to the blonde headed guy that coached at Liberty last season, I'd agree with your last statement. He definitely needs to lay off the caffeine. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(cascade11 @ Apr 4 2007 - 11:26 AM) 826429736[/snapback]If your referring to the blonde headed guy that coached at Liberty last season, I'd agree with your last statement. He definitely needs to lay off the caffeine. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

That would be him. Good coach, excellent tactician.

Why would Coach pope want to leave Cascade and go to Unionville? He has talent returning, he will have a new girls coach to work with getting our youth more involved which he has told me he wants to do, he lives ten minutes from school, his wife teaches science at the high school, so WHY? Chad Spencer would be a great hire but he does not like to lose and whoever takes that thing over will have to live with the downside for a while before it could get rolling. The guy from Webb would be a great choice as well, Garcia, he seems to be an excellent teacher of the game, just has not had a lot to work with lately. I asked Coach Pope before we left for the break if he was interested and he told me "no". Since he has been here at Cascade I think we have gotten pretty close, so I don't think he is lying about his interest. Besides, someone else already said that the best idea is to get somebody young that can grow up with the program like Pope is doing here at Cascade. We enjoy watching his teams play and his boys are very well-behaved in the classroom and that was a MUCH needed change from the last guy we had and NO ONE here wants to have to think about going back to that life. STAY COACH POPE, good luck in your search Community!

QUOTE(baller88 @ Apr 5 2007 - 10:19 AM) 826430574[/snapback]Why would Coach pope want to leave Cascade and go to Unionville? He has talent returning, he will have a new girls coach to work with getting our youth more involved which he has told me he wants to do, he lives ten minutes from school, his wife teaches science at the high school, so WHY? Chad Spencer would be a great hire but he does not like to lose and whoever takes that thing over will have to live with the downside for a while before it could get rolling. The guy from Webb would be a great choice as well, Garcia, he seems to be an excellent teacher of the game, just has not had a lot to work with lately. I asked Coach Pope before we left for the break if he was interested and he told me "no". Since he has been here at Cascade I think we have gotten pretty close, so I don't think he is lying about his interest. Besides, someone else already said that the best idea is to get somebody young that can grow up with the program like Pope is doing here at Cascade. We enjoy watching his teams play and his boys are very well-behaved in the classroom and that was a MUCH needed change from the last guy we had and NO ONE here wants to have to think about going back to that life. STAY COACH POPE, good luck in your search Community!

You stated your case very well. I mentioned that Pope had a great job and would probably not be intrested in the Viking job. I don't know Charlie as well as you do but I think that he would be a great fit in any program if he was looking to build one from the floor up. Community does have some talent returning next year but not anything like Cascade has with Brandon Hall and the kid that runs the point for them.

Spencer would be my first choice, but I don't think Ralston wants an in-your-face coach. It doesn't appear to fit his style. Garcia probably makes too much money at Webb to be tempted, but they are about to overload him out there with classes. He already coaches basketball and softball and more classes may tempt him to look elsewhere. It will be an intresting process. I hope Community takes their time and gets it right. The Edmondson ouster was a total disaster.

I agree, the guy from Webb would probably be more to Ralston's liking.....he definitely does not like to have any controversy from what I can tell. Playing it safe is probably what he will do but it would spice things up in the district if he went for a splash, news making hire and Spencer would be that guy!

QUOTE(cascade11 @ Apr 4 2007 - 11:26 AM) 826429736[/snapback]If your referring to the blonde headed guy that coached at Liberty last season, I'd agree with your last statement. He definitely needs to lay off the caffeine. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Being from Cacade you are just mad/upset becasue for the last several years Coach Spencer has beaten both your boys and girls---CAFFEINE or not.