New Thoughts on forfeiting a game

Rabble Rouser

What is done is done, but perhaps we can provide some reasons why coaches will think twice before forfeiting a tournament game, especially a championship tournament game, in the future.

All teams pay to enter and therefore agree to play by the rules and expectations of the tournament. Among those are the expectation that the team will show up and at the very least provide competition for the other teams who have also paid to play.

Some have school policies against playing on Sunday and those with class and ethics, let that be known up front so the tournament director can plan for that.

Everyone has games the following week and in most cases, important (re: district) games.

Every team has limited pitching.

Every team theoretically is playing to advance, which gives them extra games to get better. That is why tournaments are held.

Every school needs money to help pay for team costs such as tournament fees, travel and umpires.

Tournaments are a great way to raise that money. Removing a game, especially a championship game, severely limits that opportunity. Boosters work hard for their boys.

Even Little League and Dizzy Dean leagues have rules stating teams that forfeit, thus causing another team to lose a game, will forfeit their ability to enter the following year. It's just not done.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rabble Rouser @ Mar 28 2007 - 05:25 AM) 826424597[/snapback]What is done is done, but perhaps we can provide some reasons why coaches will think twice before forfeiting a tournament game, especially a championship tournament game, in the future.

All teams pay to enter and therefore agree to play by the rules and expectations of the tournament. Among those are the expectation that the team will show up and at the very least provide competition for the other teams who have also paid to play.

Some have school policies against playing on Sunday and those with class and ethics, let that be known up front so the tournament director can plan for that.

Everyone has games the following week and in most cases, important (re: district) games.

Every team has limited pitching.

Every team theoretically is playing to advance, which gives them extra games to get better. That is why tournaments are held.

Every school needs money to help pay for team costs such as tournament fees, travel and umpires.

Tournaments are a great way to raise that money. Removing a game, especially a championship game, severely limits that opportunity. Boosters work hard for their boys.

Even Little League and Dizzy Dean leagues have rules stating teams that forfeit, thus causing another team to lose a game, will forfeit their ability to enter the following year. It's just not done.

FYI: Chattanooga Times Free Press writer Ward Gossett posted this blog on the topic.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/t...8&zoneid=46

QUOTE(Rabble Rouser @ Mar 28 2007 - 09:25 AM) 826424668[/snapback]FYI: Chattanooga Times Free Press writer Ward Gossett posted this blog on the topic.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/t...8&zoneid=46

to begin, we must recognize how much money some teams make at tourneys. for example, ooltewah charged 250 per team. that splits the umpires for at least four games, even though most teams only play the three-game minimum. Next, let us notice that the tournament penalty is only three games, not four, and the fourth game is always a bonus. Finally, let us not assume that the DB coach didn't alert the director up front. weekends are long, and db had a four-hour drive. Quit crying about your tournament championships. If you really want one, go to Murfreesboro and come back with the hardware.

QUOTE(frankenvol @ Mar 28 2007 - 07:36 AM) 826424677[/snapback]to begin, we must recognize how much money some teams make at tourneys. for example, ooltewah charged 250 per team. that splits the umpires for at least four games, even though most teams only play the three-game minimum. Next, let us notice that the tournament penalty is only three games, not four, and the fourth game is always a bonus. Finally, let us not assume that the DB coach didn't alert the director up front. weekends are long, and db had a four-hour drive. Quit crying about your tournament championships. If you really want one, go to Murfreesboro and come back with the hardware.

Not my tournament. Not an Ool fan, parent or player. No dog in that hunt, and no, DB's coach did not alert the director. If he had, we would not be having this discussion. That is the point. Why is that so hard to understand?

The Adairsville coach did inform them of no Sunday games. Chatt Christitian did so in the Hixson tournament. That 4-hour drive didn't just come up on Sunday did it?

ok maybe i am just ssssssssllllllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwww but why would u go to a tournament not to expect to win.. why would you pull out of the championship game? what kind of message is that sending 2 your team that u took them there expecting 2 be able to leave early & not be there 4 the championship? its not fair to the guys that worked so hard to win the games only to be taken home not knowing if they would have really won or not. easy way out for the coach but unfair to everyone else. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

My whole point is, when DB makes it to the finals in Murfreesboro and is out of pitching, they'll have the same attitude, "Oh my gosh, we're out of pitching!" There will be no underclassman even somewhat prepared for the situation!

I'm not really concerned about the gate or the missed championship. It's the point of making it to a championship game and playing in it to when it.

QUOTE(GradfromtheNest @ Mar 28 2007 - 10:22 AM) 826424739[/snapback]My whole point is, when DB makes it to the finals in Murfreesboro and is out of pitching, they'll have the same attitude, "Oh my gosh, we're out of pitching!" There will be no underclassman even somewhat prepared for the situation!

I'm not really concerned about the gate or the missed championship. It's the point of making it to a championship game and playing in it to when it.

For those involved as players in the spring sport of baseball, the tourney at Murfreesboro and the tourney at Ooltewah are quite different. One is a preparation for the other. I am not condoning running from games, if you believe that is what happened. However, I must insist that winning a tourney here and there does not a good team make. Tourneys are experiences that should be used for building and growing as players and teams.

No dog in the hunt either, but I think when you enter a tournament, you should have a strategy for playing out all the scenarios. Take enough JV guys or give a kid that's not in your rotation a shot. Pitch a different kid every inning. That gets you through the tournament. Obviously winning the tournament wasn't a priority. A loss is a loss whether your forfeit or not. The kids probably want to play. I think a 'no-show' fee to cover any costs for the host plus enough $ to make you want to stay rather than leave would be the thing to do.

The other side of the coin is that I wouldn't put a lot of stock in tournament championships during the season. You do not go into a tournament trying to win it. Not pull out the stops type strategy like you would use in post season. It's just free baseball. Most teams use them to get better or to raise money. They don't enhance your resume'. My #1 and #2 pitcher wouldn't see the light of day in a weekend tournament if I had district games on Monday and Tuesday. My #3 and #4 would see limited mound time. It's a scrimmage, ok. Don't put a lot of stock into it.

It sounds like some coaches may be more interested in "winning percentage" instead of "winning state championships". Throwing a young pitcher into the fire at a weekend tournament provides an excellent opportunity to evaluate his performance as well as to prepare him for the future. It doesn't matter whether you win or lose that game, the important games are in May.

They could always change the tournament format to accommodate thin pitching staffs and Monday/Tuesday district games. Could they not go to a 8 after 5, 10 after 4, 12 after 3 type run ruling just for tournaments? I've seen teams in summer ball throw in the towel to save pitching in a game they couldn't win. Not too many teams have enough pitching to play in a 4 game minimum tournament on the weekend and then play district games on Monday and Tuesday. Looks like TSSAA is trying to eliminate tournaments or they could charge you 3 games with a 5 game maximum or something.

QUOTE(cherokeemgr @ Mar 28 2007 - 10:18 AM) 826424841[/snapback]I might be old fashioned, but I was always told by my parents that you should always finished what you started......for those that believe in life lessons and high school sports...what are DB players being taught?

The DB were taught this weekend that winning isn't everything pal.They were out of pitching period.It is early Spring and we were just trying to get a few extra games against non-conf.teams.There is alot of baseball to play.If the Owls want DB so bad they should have put themselves in the same bracket with us.Get over it.Move on.It is only a game.