Top Coaches

columbiaguy

QUOTE(NOTHIN THRU @ Mar 29 2007 - 01:07 PM) 826425864[/snapback]I'm moving to Columbia!

Just what ever you do stay away from Smyrna. Team has good talent and it is going to be interesting to see how the coach blows things for them. So whatever you do don't move to Smyrna for the coach unless you want the position of coach, then come on.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CUBCADET @ Mar 29 2007 - 04:55 PM) 826425987[/snapback]It is very obvious that you dont really care if Pickle is a good coach or not...You obviously do not like him and have shown very limited knowledge of what a good coach is. You must have been one of the ones that were supposedly cut because of what grade they were in. I have known Pickle for years and I know that is not the case. As far as him making a kid throw at a hitter just because he was one of the transfer kids...THAT IS ENTIRELY B.S. Pickle teaches his kids to play smart and play hard. Sometimes kids get their feelings hurt because they are NOT NEARLY as good as they have been told by their parents when they were little. I have seen plenty of Pickle's teams game and have never noticed his team meeting at the mound and yelling things like that..You obviously have a problem with Pickle....let it go!!! He is one of the better coaches in the area, of which there are quite a few.... You could also put Coach Powers from Riverdale and a few others in that category. All coaches and schools go thru a period of lesser talented players at some time during their tenures, but the better coaches like Pickle and Powers seem to be able to still teach the game and have their teams perform well. Seems to me like every year at tournament time, these two teams sure do seem to hang around for some reason...like winning!!! Everybody cannot win the state every year but the better coached teams are always in the hunt.. I did not mean to leave any other good coaches out but the true knowledgable fans know who they are..

About the only thing correct you stated was I dont care for Pickle. My son wasnt one he cut. He never attended Franklin High or played for the guy. How do you know Pickle didnt have his player hit the kid? It happened in 1997. It did, trust me. Everyone there knew what happened.

Ask Pickle how many games he won in the district tournament as coach of Franklin. I'll tell you. NONE. He lost the first game every year. That is the record. Check it.

I agree with the guy who named Frazier at Shelbyville. He is a very good coach. So is Powers at Riverdale.

QUOTE(turnin two @ Mar 29 2007 - 10:03 PM) 826426231[/snapback]About the only thing correct you stated was I dont care for Pickle. My son wasnt one he cut. He never attended Franklin High or played for the guy. How do you know Pickle didnt have his player hit the kid? It happened in 1997. It did, trust me. Everyone there knew what happened.

Ask Pickle how many games he won in the district tournament as coach of Franklin. I'll tell you. NONE. He lost the first game every year. That is the record. Check it.

I agree with the guy who named Frazier at Shelbyville. He is a very good coach. So is Powers at Riverdale.

He must have done something right at Franklin since he was 1996 and 1997 District 9AAA Coach of the Year. They won the regular season both of those years. Also, if you talk to any of his former players, they all have nothing but love for him. Derrick Turnbow still visist Coach Pickle every offseason in Columbia. He comes in and hangs out with all of Columbia's players and long tosses with them. Dan Uggla of the Marlins did the same thing this offseason. I think it says a lot about the man that two Major Leaguers take the time in their offseason to come back and spend time with him and his team and thank him for what he did for them. They also flew him to the All- Star game and hung out with him there. You may be the only person that does'nt think he is a good coach and good person.

QUOTE(columbiaguy @ Mar 30 2007 - 08:58 AM) 826426388[/snapback]He must have done something right at Franklin since he was 1996 and 1997 District 9AAA Coach of the Year. They won the regular season both of those years. Also, if you talk to any of his former players, they all have nothing but love for him. Derrick Turnbow still visist Coach Pickle every offseason in Columbia. He comes in and hangs out with all of Columbia's players and long tosses with them. Dan Uggla of the Marlins did the same thing this offseason. I think it says a lot about the man that two Major Leaguers take the time in their offseason to come back and spend time with him and his team and thank him for what he did for them. They also flew him to the All- Star game and hung out with him there. You may be the only person that does'nt think he is a good coach and good person.

Yes, he won the regular season. He had unbelievable talent at Franklin and probably at Columbia too as evidenced by two major leaguers. I can assure you he had little to do with Turnbow throwing 90+ mph as Turnbow was a horse before Pickle was at Franklin so do begin the "he developed them" arguement. Franklin only had about 2,400 students during Pickle's years there so he had plenty of talent. Again, he never won a district tournament game there so he cant be considered too good of a coach in my opinion. Sounds like his lack of success in tournaments has continued at Columbia. Also, there were alot of people at Franklin glad to see him go.

QUOTE(turnin two @ Mar 30 2007 - 09:29 AM) 826426432[/snapback]Yes, he won the regular season. He had unbelievable talent at Franklin and probably at Columbia too as evidenced by two major leaguers. I can assure you he had little to do with Turnbow throwing 90+ mph as Turnbow was a horse before Pickle was at Franklin so do begin the "he developed them" arguement. Franklin only had about 2,400 students during Pickle's years there so he had plenty of talent. Again, he never won a district tournament game there so he cant be considered too good of a coach in my opinion. Sounds like his lack of success in tournaments has continued at Columbia. Also, there were alot of people at Franklin glad to see him go.

Actually, he hasn't had any lack of success in tournaments at Columbia since he has 5 district tournament titles and one region title in nine years at Columbia. As a matter of fact, he has been to more region tournaments over the past nine years than, Oakland, Riverdale, Tullahoma and Lincoln Co. I would think he has been to more than Franklin too, but I don't know that for sure. I also never said he had anything to do with Turnbow or Uggla being the players they turned out to be. They thank him for the men they have turned out to be. They come back to see him out of respect and admiration. They are not the only two that come back either. There are countless others that make a stop by practice or come to a game just to catch up with Coach Pickle and tell him they just graduated college and thank him for what he did for them. That is the sign of a great coach. The way he develops men. Don't get me wrong, I am glad you didn't want him at Franklin. It was the best thing that ever happened to Columbia baseball. Another thing, Turnbow wasn.t a horse before Pickle got there. Turnbow was a sophmore when he got there. Turnbow threw about 84-86 as a junior. Who was it that long tossed a football with Turnbow during the summer to build up his arm strength, Pickle. Turnbow may have ended up being the pitcher he is today without that summer of long tossing, but I bet it didn't hurt. So get your stuff straight before I make you look even worse than you already do turnintwo.

QUOTE(allaboutsports @ Mar 29 2007 - 10:45 AM) 826425717[/snapback]Joe George -- Marshall County -- Winningest Active Coach in The State

Joe George is not the winningest active baseball coach in Tennessee.

Joe's record is 707-225 in 34 years. And I am not sure if this includes the 2007 season.

Mike Ritz of Dobyns Bennett is the winnigest active baseball coach in Tennessee.

Mike's record is 807-307 in 35 years and this does not include this season's wins.

Both coaches should be proud

QUOTE(columbiaguy @ Mar 30 2007 - 09:44 AM) 826426446[/snapback]Actually, he hasn't had any lack of success in tournaments at Columbia since he has 5 district tournament titles and one region title in nine years at Columbia. As a matter of fact, he has been to more region tournaments over the past nine years than, Oakland, Riverdale, Tullahoma and Lincoln Co. I would think he has been to more than Franklin too, but I don't know that for sure. I also never said he had anything to do with Turnbow or Uggla being the players they turned out to be. They thank him for the men they have turned out to be. They come back to see him out of respect and admiration. They are not the only two that come back either. There are countless others that make a stop by practice or come to a game just to catch up with Coach Pickle and tell him they just graduated college and thank him for what he did for them. That is the sign of a great coach. The way he develops men. Don't get me wrong, I am glad you didn't want him at Franklin. It was the best thing that ever happened to Columbia baseball. Another thing, Turnbow wasn.t a horse before Pickle got there. Turnbow was a sophmore when he got there. Turnbow threw about 84-86 as a junior. Who was it that long tossed a football with Turnbow during the summer to build up his arm strength, Pickle. Turnbow may have ended up being the pitcher he is today without that summer of long tossing, but I bet it didn't hurt. So get your stuff straight before I make you look even worse than you already do turnintwo.

You must be one of those booster club presidents whose son is playing because of it that they are talking about earlier. Or you're kin to him.Sounds like unless Columbia produces a several Mickey Mantle-types, ole Pickle will get in the state tournament the same way I do-as a spectator! Good luck with him since you love him so, but history is history and nothing I've posted about Pickle's Franklin experience is not true.

QUOTE(turnin two @ Mar 30 2007 - 03:09 PM) 826426701[/snapback]You must be one of those booster club presidents whose son is playing because of it that they are talking about earlier. Or you're kin to him.Sounds like unless Columbia produces a several Mickey Mantle-types, ole Pickle will get in the state tournament the same way I do-as a spectator! Good luck with him since you love him so, but history is history and nothing I've posted about Pickle's Franklin experience is not true.

Boy, someone sure has their panties in a tight wad over Pickle!!!! I realize now that you really dont just dislike Pickle you almost hate him..It is very evident that he may have stepped on your or your little one's toes at some time or another.Maybe a certain dad or player didnt get his way and is still sore over it...Sure does sound like it..But to get to the point...I agree with an earlier poster, you just cant judge a coach by his W/L record at a particular school, but by he he is able to teach his guys about the game and most importantly about how to be a better person..Evidently he has been able to do that with some people, but not you or your son/player?..I would be willing to bet that every coach and umpire that does not call or coach the way that YOU see it should be is just plain old dead wrong...If that is the case, maybe you should not even be a spectator, as I would hate to see you spend your time and pay money to see a game and NOT REALLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!. Just sit back and respect all the good coaches for the job they do and enjoy the games...And by the way...Coach Pickle is a class guy and is very well respected by everyone that really knows him...But..enough of this back and forth stuff with you turnin two..Like my daddy always told me...IT IS TOUGH TO ENGAGE IN A BATTLE OF WITS WITH A PERSON WHO IS UNARMED!!!!!! So I will not reply to this thread anymore