Top Coaches

columbiaguy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(columbiaguy @ Mar 29 2007 - 10:12 AM) 826425684[/snapback]With the Tennessean's mid state top ten out earlier this week, I thought I would ask: Who are the mid state's top ten coaches?

I am going to put columbiaguy's own Mark Pickle in there. Year after year his team is better at the end than they were going in. Thay may not always have the best talent, but they know how to play the game and you know they will be tough at the end. Pickle is a class guy who does things the right way!

QUOTE(Warhawk1 @ Mar 29 2007 - 12:14 PM) 826425798[/snapback]I am going to put columbiaguy's own Mark Pickle in there. Year after year his team is better at the end than they were going in. Thay may not always have the best talent, but they know how to play the game and you know they will be tough at the end. Pickle is a class guy who does things the right way!

We appreciate that in Columbia. I didn't want to put him in there and sound bias so I am glad somone else did. He certainly is one of the best coaches around and one of the most underappreciated because he only has 1 state appearance. Nobody looks at the 6 region tournament appearances in the last 9 years.

QUOTE(columbiaguy @ Mar 29 2007 - 12:27 PM) 826425807[/snapback]We appreciate that in Columbia. I didn't want to put him in there and sound bias so I am glad somone else did. He certainly is one of the best coaches around and one of the most underappreciated because he only has 1 state appearance. Nobody looks at the 6 region tournament appearances in the last 9 years.

As far as fundamentals and coaching I have too agree, Columbia`s Pickle probally the best. I don`t judge a coach by his won- lost record.I`ve never seen him lose control; a class guy.Columbia is lucky to have him.

QUOTE(ozzie smith @ Mar 29 2007 - 12:35 PM) 826425816[/snapback]As far as fundamentals and coaching I have too agree, Columbia`s Pickle probally the best. I don`t judge a coach by his won- lost record.I`ve never seen him lose control; a class guy.Columbia is lucky to have him.

I'm moving to Columbia!

QUOTE(NOTHIN THRU @ Mar 29 2007 - 01:07 PM) 826425864[/snapback]I'm moving to Columbia!

If Pickle has class now, he sure found it in Columbia cause he was low class at Franklin. The year before Centennial opened, he cut all the kids (freshman & sophs) who were going to be zoned to Centennial the next year. It wasnt their fault the city grew so fast that we needed another high school. And they (fresh & sophs) didnt have a choice to stay either. Franklin High was overcrowded already, did he really think 3,000 students could go to school there?

He also told his pitchers to hit one of the kids who transferred to Centennial that he cut. Do his teams still meet at the pitchers mound after the game and Yell "KTA" for Kicked their toe

Best thing about Pickle is even with future major leaguers (Turnbow), kids with babies (Martinez and Sanders) and alot of other good players, I dont think he ever won a district tournament game at Franklin. His teams were eliminated every year the first game. That's hard to do even if you try to lose. To put him down as one of the better coaches is a complete joke.

QUOTE(turnin two @ Mar 29 2007 - 02:01 PM) 826425903[/snapback]If Pickle has class now, he sure found it in Columbia cause he was low class at Franklin. The year before Centennial opened, he cut all the kids (freshman & sophs) who were going to be zoned to Centennial the next year. It wasnt their fault the city grew so fast that we needed another high school. And they (fresh & sophs) didnt have a choice to stay either. Franklin High was overcrowded already, did he really think 3,000 students could go to school there?

He also told his pitchers to hit one of the kids who transferred to Centennial that he cut. Do his teams still meet at the pitchers mound after the game and Yell "KTA" for Kicked their toe

Best thing about Pickle is even with future major leaguers (Turnbow), kids with babies (Martinez and Sanders) and alot of other good players, I dont think he ever won a district tournament game at Franklin. His teams were eliminated every year the first game. That's hard to do even if you try to lose. To put him down as one of the better coaches is a complete joke.

It is very obvious that you dont really care if Pickle is a good coach or not...You obviously do not like him and have shown very limited knowledge of what a good coach is. You must have been one of the ones that were supposedly cut because of what grade they were in. I have known Pickle for years and I know that is not the case. As far as him making a kid throw at a hitter just because he was one of the transfer kids...THAT IS ENTIRELY B.S. Pickle teaches his kids to play smart and play hard. Sometimes kids get their feelings hurt because they are NOT NEARLY as good as they have been told by their parents when they were little. I have seen plenty of Pickle's teams game and have never noticed his team meeting at the mound and yelling things like that..You obviously have a problem with Pickle....let it go!!! He is one of the better coaches in the area, of which there are quite a few.... You could also put Coach Powers from Riverdale and a few others in that category. All coaches and schools go thru a period of lesser talented players at some time during their tenures, but the better coaches like Pickle and Powers seem to be able to still teach the game and have their teams perform well. Seems to me like every year at tournament time, these two teams sure do seem to hang around for some reason...like winning!!! Everybody cannot win the state every year but the better coached teams are always in the hunt.. I did not mean to leave any other good coaches out but the true knowledgable fans know who they are..