Soccer in the News!

pseudophobia

This article to about newspaper reports. I like to see them and read them. After the Farragut Vs West game, I read a nice article in the Knoxville News Sentinel. It was fairly descriptive....I got to hear Wally state how Spring Break hurt them, blah blah, ba, blah.. Got to hear how great West was, etc, etc.

So I was looking forward to the report of the Catholic Vs Bearden game..

Hey, guess what.......nothing.

Nada, zilch. It is typical!! Catholic and Bearden got no mention and it was probably the best game of the year so far. 2 great teams, both having chances to win, with a last minute goal an a rarely seen assist from a keeper, over one of the best other keepers in the state!! I am more than a little ticked off that this game received no mention.

Knoxville News Sentinel, you should wake up and be fair. I will be willing to bet that on Friday the Farragut Vs McMinn County game gets mention. Also the CAK Vs West game will definitely be in there!

The Sentinel owes an explanation to someone. This is not right!!!!

Opinions please!!!!

I really don't know how the sentinel chooses which games to go to. I heard last nights game was awesome, and even if it ended up being a snoozer, you are looking at the #1 and #3 teams in the state (in their divisions) as well as a state champion and state runner up playing 5 minutes away from the News Sentinel headquarters. Doesn't make sense to me NOT to cover it.

I do know that we do encourage our players and parents to write a short note of "thanks" anytime the newspaper covers one of our games. It's not necessary, and it might not make a lick of difference, but it couldn't hurt.

The "West Side Shopper" has had some good coverage of soccer so far this spring.

pseudophobia, I understand your frustrations. You guys deserved an article on this one.

Alas, a continuing story pretty much the same across the state.

If you want a particular game covered, contact the KNS sports dept., etc., and make sure the sports guys are aware of the match. My guess is no one at the Sentinel had this match on the radar last night because no one made them aware of it. I think the Sentinel's high school soccer coverage---when they have it---is pretty good. But there are a lot of things going on and only a few writers available.

QUOTE(Hoya @ Mar 29 2007 - 05:51 PM) 826425986[/snapback]Alas, a continuing story pretty much the same across the state.

If you want a particular game covered, contact the KNS sports dept., etc., and make sure the sports guys are aware of the match. My guess is no one at the Sentinel had this match on the radar last night because no one made them aware of it. I think the Sentinel's high school soccer coverage---when they have it---is pretty good. But there are a lot of things going on and only a few writers available.

I've seen quite a bit of baseball coverage so far this year, and much of it on the front page. I don't know if someone likes baseball and is covering as a guest journalist or something, but I was upset when they did the nice spring preview on baseball/softball and chose to do nothing about soccer after requesting all that information. I guess maybe that is a message in itself. Thank goodness we have this forum to bring attention to the great matches and players.

I wish there would be more soccer. The only time they really do it is during the Spring Fling when they basically have to otherwise people would get really mad. I think it doesn't help the paper that the news stations are never at games. It's not like they don't have the time. They barely even talked about high school basketball so it would be hard to get them to come to a soccer game.. All they talk about is the Ice Bears and every once in awhile a UT baseball game, they dont even show highlights even when it is at UT in the middle of day.... I think the news stations need to step up and go to the games. I'm sure they don't know about them but that can change with a phone call. When WBIR in the knoxville area has an 8 minute, and sometimes less, sports program there is a problem. I like when they do the sunday sports xtra thing on Sundays. but all they are really doing is just talking about football and thats it. When they do mention something else it's for about 20 seconds at the end. WBIR basically owns the KNS sports section so they need to step it up a little IMO.

That's my opinion on the Knoxville area. I don't know how it is anywhere else.

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ Mar 29 2007 - 01:59 PM) 826425901[/snapback]This article to about newspaper reports. I like to see them and read them. After the Farragut Vs West game, I read a nice article in the Knoxville News Sentinel. It was fairly descriptive....I got to hear Wally state how Spring Break hurt them, blah blah, ba, blah.. Got to hear how great West was, etc, etc.

Nada, zilch. It is typical!! Catholic and Bearden got no mention and it was probably the best game of the year so far. 2 great teams, both having chances to win, with a last minute goal an a rarely seen assist from a keeper, over one of the best other keepers in the state!! I am more than a little ticked off that this game received no mention.

Knoxville News Sentinel, you should wake up and be fair. I will be willing to bet that on Friday the Farragut Vs McMinn County game gets mention. Also the CAK Vs West game will definitely be in there!

Opinions please!!!!

Buy all the radio time like the Catholic football team /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(NedNatterjack @ Apr 1 2007 - 01:16 PM) 826427587[/snapback]I say we all should send an email or call the local news stations and let them know our frustration. If enough people voice their opinion, I think the news station will start to listen. After all, arent they supposed to support local news, sports?

Consider these two options

(1) Refuse to talk to them when they finally do arrive at a game, chances are they will never show up again regardless of how they are treated and they will usually go back to their previous article to get all the wrong information for their new feature article.

(2) Agressively pursue paper #2 or paper #3. They love the attention.

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ Mar 29 2007 - 12:59 PM) 826425901[/snapback]This article to about newspaper reports. I like to see them and read them. After the Farragut Vs West game, I read a nice article in the Knoxville News Sentinel. It was fairly descriptive....I got to hear Wally state how Spring Break hurt them, blah blah, ba, blah.. Got to hear how great West was, etc, etc.

Opinions please!!!!

DEAR Pseudopy. You sure are a negative dude!~ I don't think any school gets the attention they deserve and I see more in the paper about what clothes some socialite was wearing at at some event noone knew about but the attendees. Several years ago, it seemed like Bearden got all the press and probably deservedly so, and Catholic, probably hasn't gotten what they deserve since the 2002 class left. As far as the article on Farragut and West with what the Farragut coach said, I didn't hear any BlAh,BLAhBlah in his story and thought he well complimented the West team. I thought the West Coach was humble and made some great compliments to his team who have been playing their hearts out. If you want coverage , do like the posters said and contact the media. Bearden's game against Farragut at Bearden will be televised on some channel from what I heard at the Bearden tournament and so that is good Soccer press. I think as hot as West is, they should get plenty of press right now, whether they will, we will have to wait and see. Soccer is just not a topic the media spends anywhere near the time on that they need to. Anyway , Pseude, You post like you are a parent or an adult so you should have more pull than we do. So quit fussing and do something about it. CAK is a 4 time State Champion with a great Coach, and they should really get a feature story! Some of the usnsung local heroes like Alcoa should get recognized for a program that has leaped eons in the last few years. So Pseudopy; are you a parent or a frustrated fan that can help us or just negative? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(OnThePitch @ Apr 2 2007 - 09:04 PM) 826428523[/snapback]DEAR Pseudopy. You sure are a negative dude!~ I don't think any school gets the attention they deserve and I see more in the paper about what clothes some socialite was wearing at at some event noone knew about but the attendees. Several years ago, it seemed like Bearden got all the press and probably deservedly so, and Catholic, probably hasn't gotten what they deserve since the 2002 class left. As far as the article on Farragut and West with what the Farragut coach said, I didn't hear any BlAh,BLAhBlah in his story and thought he well complimented the West team. I thought the West Coach was humble and made some great compliments to his team who have been playing their hearts out. If you want coverage , do like the posters said and contact the media. Bearden's game against Farragut at Bearden will be televised on some channel from what I heard at the Bearden tournament and so that is good Soccer press. I think as hot as West is, they should get plenty of press right now, whether they will, we will have to wait and see. Soccer is just not a topic the media spends anywhere near the time on that they need to. Anyway , Pseude, You post like you are a parent or an adult so you should have more pull than we do. So quit fussing and do something about it. CAK is a 4 time State Champion with a great Coach, and they should really get a feature story! Some of the usnsung local heroes like Alcoa should get recognized for a program that has leaped eons in the last few years. So Pseudopy; are you a parent or a frustrated fan that can help us or just negative? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

What a speech!! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> but...I think that pseudo has a point and you have a point. He isnt being allll negative he is just a little disappointed that his team isnt getting recognition. My opinion is that if you love the sport, you find ways to find out about the game like CoachT, friends, and the internet. The press is going to report articles of interest not just articles that are interesting to your certain sport. I have read countless articles about soccer in the past from Knox NS and they only report when there is a game that needs to be reported. Like districts, regionals, and state. I think the KNS is doing just fine

QUOTE(OnThePitch @ Apr 2 2007 - 09:04 PM) 826428523[/snapback]DEAR Pseudopy. You sure are a negative dude!~ I don't think any school gets the attention they deserve and I see more in the paper about what clothes some socialite was wearing at at some event noone knew about but the attendees. Several years ago, it seemed like Bearden got all the press and probably deservedly so, and Catholic, probably hasn't gotten what they deserve since the 2002 class left. As far as the article on Farragut and West with what the Farragut coach said, I didn't hear any BlAh,BLAhBlah in his story and thought he well complimented the West team. I thought the West Coach was humble and made some great compliments to his team who have been playing their hearts out. If you want coverage , do like the posters said and contact the media. Bearden's game against Farragut at Bearden will be televised on some channel from what I heard at the Bearden tournament and so that is good Soccer press. I think as hot as West is, they should get plenty of press right now, whether they will, we will have to wait and see. Soccer is just not a topic the media spends anywhere near the time on that they need to. Anyway , Pseude, You post like you are a parent or an adult so you should have more pull than we do. So quit fussing and do something about it. CAK is a 4 time State Champion with a great Coach, and they should really get a feature story! Some of the usnsung local heroes like Alcoa should get recognized for a program that has leaped eons in the last few years. So Pseudopy; are you a parent or a frustrated fan that can help us or just negative? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Hey "On the Pitch"...thanks for the reply. At least someone read it! Just to clear a fewwthings up...I am not a negative person, I just made a negative comment!! I was just a little let down after seeing a great game and nothing in the local paper! Also, my comments about the Farragut coach was not meant to criticize him, I was using Blah, blah, and then with regards to West High, etc, etc. as to the things coaches always seem to say. It is usually the same thing about the other team being great and so on and so forth. Those things mean nothing to me. What I would like to know is- how the game went and which kids played a great game. Most of the coaches in this area will tell you that the paper usually prints something a little differently than what they actually say. I want to hear about the PLAYERS...they make the game what it is! I think a little recognition for them isn't to much to ask for. Especially since soccer is by far the most successful sport for the Knoxville area!!

By the way, there was recently a great article about the BeardenVS. Oak Ridge game. Maybe they are trying a little harder. I hope they keep it up as ther are some great games coming up!!!