Warrior Spring Semifinals Today

davidlimbaugh

Great baseball this w/e. Got to see some great teams and great players from middle and east Tenn. Oakland IMO was definitely the strongest team we saw. Also got to witness quite a show with the announcers and "sound shows" at Oakland and Riverdale. Not that it would have made a big difference in the outcome of the games, but should Oakland not have cooled it a bit with the home field advantage with the PA system, blue light specials, etc. I mean this was a tournament and not a district game - all teams should be on an equal playing field. Riverdale showed a lot of class with their announcing, PA system, etc. and made it enjoyable for both teams playing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see both opinions about the Smyrna issue. You can forfeit if you want to. But I think it sets a bad example for the kids to go by. Last time I checked, the students don't get to decide whether they play or not. They make a commitment to the program. And maybe that's the problem.

I do understand the Coach being late. It happens. But again, you have a coach who's late and players who don't want to play. Who's in control of this program. By some of the replies, sounds like the parents. That's a big mistake.

And if you're varsity team is that banged up, throw the JV team out there. They'll probably lose, but that won't reflect any more poorly on the program than backing out, and it's valuable experience for next year's varsity team.

When you've got 40 players on a squad, you can find 15 who want to play. Everything else is just an excuse

QUOTE(Mwalls14 @ Apr 2 2007 - 02:18 AM) 826428028[/snapback]I can see both opinions about the Smyrna issue. You can forfeit if you want to. But I think it sets a bad example for the kids to go by. Last time I checked, the students don't get to decide whether they play or not. They make a commitment to the program. And maybe that's the problem.

I do understand the Coach being late. It happens. But again, you have a coach who's late and players who don't want to play. Who's in control of this program. By some of the replies, sounds like the parents. That's a big mistake.

And if you're varsity team is that banged up, throw the JV team out there. They'll probably lose, but that won't reflect any more poorly on the program than backing out, and it's valuable experience for next year's varsity team.

When you've got 40 players on a squad, you can find 15 who want to play. Everything else is just an excuse

it is my understanding that the players nor the parents run Smyrna's team, the dictator coach does. I agree with you Mwalls14 that it sets a bad example to forfeit opportunities to play in more baseball games. It seems that this coach had other priorities and commitments on championship day. The same reason he was late is the reason he was committed yesterday. Wonder if his daughters team won the soccer tournament? /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

QUOTE(kittyfan @ Apr 2 2007 - 10:34 AM) 826428166[/snapback]it is my understanding that the players nor the parents run Smyrna's team, the dictator coach does. I agree with you Mwalls14 that it sets a bad example to forfeit opportunities to play in more baseball games. It seems that this coach had other priorities and commitments on championship day. The same reason he was late is the reason he was committed yesterday. Wonder if his daughters team won the soccer tournament? /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

I cannot believe some of you. The guy misses three innings to watch his daughter play a soccer game because it was in the same city that they were playing in at the time. His assistants had it under control. And the players did not want to play sunday, not because they had better things to do but because some were injured and they felt like getting rested up for the week was more important.

Well I find it hard to believe that EVERY member of the varsity team had no interest in playing....in a scouted tournament.

Again, this is high school baseball, not little league. You don't get to pick and choose when you want to play. Is that the attitude that's going to be carried to college? "Sorry coach, I need to rest up for next week".

Again, just throw the JV team out there. I'll tell you one thing. The bench players at Smyrna would have played. The freshman would have played. It's just an excuse

I understand that smyrna did not want to play due to district games and injuries

the tourney will mean nothing for their season and the players could use some rest

district games are the most important games of the season...the show postseasson implications and every team wants to have their best pitching available for them.

Away from all this contraversy with smyrna

Oakland did a great job this week

They started off the week with a district sweep of blackman on tuesday and wednsday

they then beat PJPII on thursday

USJ on friday

Lincoln County and Farragut on saturday

BGA for the semis sunday morning

and Overton 15-2 in 5 innings sunday afternoon

The Patriots move to 17-0 on the season

if the win tuesday against cookeville the will match their win total of last season

QUOTE(BulldogDad1 @ Apr 2 2007 - 10:46 AM) 826428174[/snapback]I cannot believe some of you. The guy misses three innings to watch his daughter play a soccer game because it was in the same city that they were playing in at the time. His assistants had it under control. And the players did not want to play sunday, not because they had better things to do but because some were injured and they felt like getting rested up for the week was more important.

three innings may not be nothing to you but championship play in a great tournament is huge. your coach was the talk of championship day and it wasn't pretty. bud looked mighty unhappy and so did some of the guys in purple and gold.

QUOTE(Mwalls14 @ Apr 2 2007 - 11:44 AM) 826428207[/snapback]And besides even that...Smyrna might have 4 games, but only 2 are district games. Oakland plays 5 games this week. So does Overton. They had no problem playing Sunday.

Exactly........make a committment and stick to it. Again I ask.......who does the sceduling for Smyrna's games? All could have been taken care of easily. Try looking at the soccer schedule. I urge the powers that be NOT to go to the Warrior Classic or ANY tournament in the future if you aren't playing in it to WIN it all.