Bowling resigning from Dyersburg?

Word has it the newly hired Dyersburg High School Football coach Darren Bowling is resigning. Bowling who had been hired after long time coach James Counce had retired is expected to announce his resignation the first of next week. Sources won't say, but Bowling apparently had a riff with asst. coaches and is resigning. Coach Counce who had suffered a heart attack during the middle of last season, retired to be with his wife who was very ill. Sadly she passed away about a month ago. Sources say James Counce Jr. will be promoted to interim head coach for the upcoming season. Don't know how that will play out since Counce Jr. is employed with Jimmy Dean Foods in Newbern. Expect James Counce Sr. to be back on the sidelines in the fall of 2008...... My youngest daughter goes to Dyer County and she asked me about it...... She said I heard Dyersburg lost their football coach...... Stay tuned.....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear that they are offering to show Rick Rudesil (Bolivar Central) the $$$$$ to become the next coach of their basketball team.

If they were wise about this they'd offer either Jeff Morris (Milan) or PA Pratt (Crockett Co.) whatever they want to coach at Dyersburg.

AFTER ALL, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A SCHOOL WHERE WINNING IS NOT A THING THAT'S HOPED FOR BUT IT'S EXPECTED!!!

Morris and Counce are old friends. They have been down that road with P.A. already. I think Coach Counce comes back next year. His son will be interim coach this fall.... Coach resigned because of his health and most of all to be with his wife who was very ill and passed away.... Coach Counce is probably 57-58 years old..... The man loves football...... It's my guess he MIGHT BE BACK THIS FALL...... Stay tuned......

I heard today MBA offered James Counce Jr. BIG MONEY as strength and conditioning coach... Grady Andrews is leaving and Harrison is going to Henry County..... Bowling is a GREAT COACH..... But I honestly think that Coach Counce retired to be with his wife and sadly she passed away..... Word will be made the Counce Jr. will be named interim coach at Dyersburg this fall.... And James Counce Sr. will be back on the sidelines in 08.... I think he comes back this year if Jr. goes to MBA( And he is crazy if he doesn't) I would take the money and run! But maybe he doesn't want to leave his dad since he is an only child...... Who knows.... Stay tuned.... But Darren Bowling is gone...... He wants to do things his way and Apparently Coach Counce wants to come back..... And Dyersburg will give Coach Counce what he wants.... OCHS has hired a new coach..... Wonder what Bowling will do now?..... Stay tuned.....

QUOTE(StevieRayVol @ Apr 6 2007 - 06:05 PM) 826431539[/snapback]I heard today MBA offered James Counce Jr. BIG MONEY as strength and conditioning coach... Grady Andrews is leaving and Harrison is going to Henry County..... Bowling is a GREAT COACH..... But I honestly think that Coach Counce retired to be with his wife and sadly she passed away..... Word will be made the Counce Jr. will be named interim coach at Dyersburg this fall.... And James Counce Sr. will be back on the sidelines in 08.... I think he comes back this year if Jr. goes to MBA( And he is crazy if he doesn't) I would take the money and run! But maybe he doesn't want to leave his dad since he is an only child...... Who knows.... Stay tuned.... But Darren Bowling is gone...... He wants to do things his way and Apparently Coach Counce wants to come back..... And Dyersburg will give Coach Counce what he wants.... OCHS has hired a new coach..... Wonder what Bowling will do now?..... Stay tuned.....

Maybe Union City officials should read coachT.....Bowling at Union City???.......HMMMMMM

Apparently the riff between Darren Bowling and Dyersburg has been worked out....... Bowling to announce he is staying...... Look for him to bring in a few of HIS ASST. COACHES..... Counce Jr must be going to MBA....... If he leaves look for Counce Sr to follow...... HE has made the statement if his grandchildren leave then he won't be far behind...... Personally I can't see Counce Jr. turning down that MBA job........ Strength and Conditioning coach....... For realy BIG MONEY..... I would be gone in a heartbeat........ Bowling is staying at Dyersburg........ Stay tuned.........

QUOTE(StevieRayVol @ Apr 9 2007 - 01:38 PM) 826433127[/snapback]Apparently the riff between Darren Bowling and Dyersburg has been worked out....... Bowling to announce he is staying...... Look for him to bring in a few of HIS ASST. COACHES..... Counce Jr must be going to MBA....... If he leaves look for Counce Sr to follow...... HE has made the statement if his grandchildren leave then he won't be far behind...... Personally I can't see Counce Jr. turning down that MBA job........ Strength and Conditioning coach....... For realy BIG MONEY..... I would be gone in a heartbeat........ Bowling is staying at Dyersburg........ Stay tuned.........

The coaching situation at DHS is getting to be 'Big Drama' I would love to see the Counce's stay but like you said can't blame Jr. from not going where the money is.... Coach Bowling has my best wishes because the fans here have grown accustomed to winning and anything less will not be accepted. I hope he gets off to a great start otherwise he won't be around long, Trojans fans aren't big on patience..... I cannot wait until we get a bball coach.... because it is really getting to be nerve wracking......and hopefully our next coach will be a proven winner with more of a open mind. You know I remember reading last week something about Pat Summit (UT Ladies Coach) saying that down through the years one of the main reason her program has been so successful is the fact that she still has the desire and love for the game but most of all is because she has changed with the times, that was one of our former round ball coach biggest problems and he said it in the local paper after his resigining that he has his system and he was not changing, I felt when I read that perhaps it was time for us to move on......

IMO I seriously think Coach Counce wanted to come back for the 08 season...... And JR. was going to be named interim...... This MBA thing has thrown a "monkeywrench" in the works..... I see Coach Counce following his "Grandchildren" to Nashville...... He made the statement in the paper that the only way he would leave Dyersburg was if "His Grandbabies left", and he was going where his grandbabies were"........ And Bowling was his handpicked choice I have been told..... Out of all the coaches he went up against he said "Bowling does less with more" than anybody he had seen..... And expect an announcement on the bb coach in a few days..... I hear Rudisell is going to give an answer sometimes this week......As far as Football goes ,Andrews and Harrison are leaving DHS..... Look for Bowling to bring in a few of "his assts".......Stay tuned for more drama at DHS......

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Apr 6 2007 - 07:20 PM) 826431624[/snapback]Maybe Union City officials should read coachT.....Bowling at Union City???.......HMMMMMM

UC , your coach deserves more respect

did Bowling even make the playoffs at Obion while he was there?

I know they did'nt this yr

where's the logic

The top 4 of 6 make the playoffs in the district

OC also has great facilities

good fella, of course

I think Coach Counce's remark was that Coach Bowling "does more with less" than he's ever seen. Obion Co. won games they had no business winning athletically, and they did it more than once. They did it with grit, hustle, and determination. Has any other 7AAA team beaten Covington 2 times in the past 4 years? Only Dyersburg, and its obvious that Dyersburg had more athletically gifted players than OC. Bowling can take a player who is average and get above average results. It remains to be seen (at least until this fall) what he will do with some real D1 talent (Caldwell & Taylor). He had some pretty good results in Lousiaina and Mississippi, before taking the job at OC. You will not be disappointed with the team he puts on the field. To put icing on the cake, he is one of the most humble, family-oriented, straight-talking men you'll ever meet. He's the kind of guy you want your daughter to bring home. If Dyersburg lets him get away, they'll be sorry.

And yes, he did take OC to the playoffs in his first season. Guided them to their first-ever playoff win. This year he was two plays (Covington & Haywood Co.) from going again.