New High School

dins8

QUOTE(dins8 @ Apr 16 2007 - 11:40 AM) 826438628[/snapback]Which schools will be affected by the new high school? I know that Bearden and Farragut will be affected, but will West lose some players as well?

My understanding is that all counties but South Doyle will be affected. I don't know how they will "grandfather" in some of the upperclassmen's families...

QUOTE(NedNatterjack @ Apr 16 2007 - 02:04 PM) 826438646[/snapback]How much will this new school affect the talent pool coming out of Farragut and Bearden. Will the talent diminish from these schools or will it just make another Knoxville powerhouse school?

As far as I know Bearden shouldn't be affected in anyway. Farragut on the otherhand, will probably take the biggest hit in terms of students, classes, extra curricular stuff, and just plain overall. I think it's a hit that the school doesn't need to take. I know the topic is about talent, but what Farragut will lose, including talent, is alot of classes that most others schools might not have. Farragut has those classes because they are so large. There is a need for them, but if the enrollment goes down to where they are/were predicting it to go Farragut could lose the majority of those classes. Just my opinion. I'm not sure how athletics will take a hit, but I'm sure there will be some drop or you never know, like you said it could just make another powerhouse. I think for athletics we will just have to see. I know there is atleast 1 person on Farragut's team right now that was grandfathered in when they made people in Cedar Bluff go to Karns, but he may live in Farragut now. I'm still not even sure where the new zones are supposed to be. I heard that people that live in the town of Farragut will have to go to Hardin Valley, and if that's true then then that is ridiculous. Anyone on the side of the interstate where FHS is should not have to go to Hardin Valley. Heck even the people right on the other side shouldn't. They shouldn't have to drive 10 minutes to go to school when there is a school 5 minutes away. Doesn't make sense to me. Plus I still don't think Farragut is that over crowded.

Farragut is the net loser is the redistricting. West is the winner. West will now have the area from Whittington Creek back to Merril and up to the Mall. These are high $$ areas, so I would assume that they have soccer players in the mix. Bearden got the area on Northshore past Carl Cowen Park. Bearden also got the area around Bearden Middle down to the Red Cross buildings and then back to Francis Road.They lost most the area around Cedar Bluff( Gulf Park or Gulf Woods) to Hardin Valley. Bearden lost 200 hundred West gained 200 and Farragut lost about 650.

I did not think the new school was going to have any sports for a year or two because of a funding shortfall.

QUOTE(shoehp @ Apr 16 2007 - 04:43 PM) 826438792[/snapback]I did not think the new school was going to have any sports for a year or two because of a funding shortfall.

Man... that would stink for the kids attending. Missing a year or two of athletics really could hurt those kids.

QUOTE(shoehp @ Apr 16 2007 - 06:43 PM) 826438792[/snapback]I did not think the new school was going to have any sports for a year or two because of a funding shortfall.

I think that was going to be if they made the school for 2000+ students instead of the original 1300. I'm not sure what plan they actually decided on, but to have a high school without sports seems not really worth going to.

edit: I did a little research and apparently they will be making it for 2000 students. According to what I read it said.. "With a capacity of 2,000 students in grades 9-12, the school is approximately 270,000 sq. ft. The facility houses a 750-seat auditorium and a 2,200-seat gymnasium. The media center is centrally located near the core academic areas in the two-story classroom wing. Also included are music, fine arts, and complete outdoor athletic facilities. The school shares its campus with the Hardin Valley Elementary School."

I'd assume that means there will be sports, but then again they could just build the school then in a year start the outdoor athletic facilities.

Click Here click see more details.

My understanding, and this is from an article I read awhile back, was that they would compete as a junior varsity squad in sports for two years since they will be bringing in students slowly, I think only fresh and soph the first year and add classes each year, and be varsity when they finally have seniors. I may be wrong, but his approach seemed to make sense. I saw that alot of other rezoning has been preposed in knoxville that could affect some smaller schools, depending on what students they lose. I hope that isn't to big a blow for the smaller schools, I think the bigger teams can handle it and I think the new hardin valley high school will have a strong program quickly.

QUOTE(akula21 @ Apr 16 2007 - 09:04 PM) 826438875[/snapback]My understanding, and this is from an article I read awhile back, was that they would compete as a junior varsity squad in sports for two years since they will be bringing in students slowly, I think only fresh and soph the first year and add classes each year, and be varsity when they finally have seniors. I may be wrong, but his approach seemed to make sense. I saw that alot of other rezoning has been preposed in knoxville that could affect some smaller schools, depending on what students they lose. I hope that isn't to big a blow for the smaller schools, I think the bigger teams can handle it and I think the new hardin valley high school will have a strong program quickly.

I don't know the exact rule on schools that don't offer a particular sport- example Campbell County High School does not have a soccer team- boys or girls, so if someone from that school wants to play- they can go to the nearest school that does have a program. For them I think it is Anderson County High. I am not sure about this rule, so anyone who knows...please help us out. I wonder if this may be something they would let a student at Hardin Valley do.?? Opinions??? Remarks??

Someone help out!!