Can West TN refs get any worse?

YellowCard

After watching the referees this season in West TN(particulary in the Dyersburg/Gibson County & Dyersburg/Madison Athletic games) I have to wonder if the judgement on the pitch can get any worse.Not to say that the referees cost Dyersburg the game in both matches(which for a most part they did) but the biasm involved is phenominal.I think that Soccer is a physical game and should be played with intensity but when one team(or player) crosses the line there has to be punishment.Unfortunately,the rules are not concrete and rest on official's "opinion".I'm not speaking about calls that could have gone either way.I'm talking about calls that make players,coaches,and fans of BOTH teams to wonder if their players are playing a soccer game or a ref game.In both instances the referee allowed one team to play extremely aggressive yet when Dyersburg players simply responded they were fouled and in many cases carded.Now I have firm suspicion that maybe the refs are being paid off and I wonder if I even want to play my senior year in 2008.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly i dont know what happened in dyersburg's other game, but today's game against Madison was rediculous. They had 1 ref. and 2 parents from dyersburg as the sideline ref's. And the referee didnt lose the game for dyersburg, they had 2 chances in the whole game while madison had about two hand fulls of chances... there is no way he costed you guys anything sorry to say... it was out of control... dirty fouls everywhere and soccer is meant to be played with passion, but there has to be a line... when a player is clearing a ball and a forward or another player just runs over him as he is clearing it and not going for the ball is just rediculous. Sorry to say it, but they costed you nothing in today's game. They were just plain woeful

QUOTE(madisonLB @ Apr 19 2007 - 07:38 PM) 826441363[/snapback]Honestly i dont know what happened in dyersburg's other game, but today's game against Madison was rediculous. They had 1 ref. and 2 parents from dyersburg as the sideline ref's. And the referee didnt lose the game for dyersburg, they had 2 chances in the whole game while madison had about two hand fulls of chances... there is no way he costed you guys anything sorry to say... it was out of control... dirty fouls everywhere and soccer is meant to be played with passion, but there has to be a line... when a player is clearing a ball and a forward or another player just runs over him as he is clearing it and not going for the ball is just rediculous. Sorry to say it, but they costed you nothing in today's game. They were just plain woeful

agreed,which is why i clearly stated in the beginning of my post that the ref didn't cost us the game.Although,he did make a large impact by blowing numerous calls that gave your team possession.I also agree with you that we had minimal opportunities.Horrible passing on our part,foolish yellow cards on our star players,and a idiotic ref resulted in the loss.I'm just glad the referees will be better at region tournys.Plus the fact there will be more than one ref.

QUOTE(KublahKD @ Apr 19 2007 - 08:25 PM) 826441397[/snapback]Considering most schools are barely able to finance soccer teams...who exactly is "paying off" these referees? That is idiotic.

Barely finance?...i don't think financing is a major issue for most schools.Support seems like a more major factor.Just finding coaches and enough players is a more important issue.Although,it's a completely different story for major public/private schools where parents/coaches take it more seriously and the money is there as well as the support.With that being said,you never know what these coaches/schools will do.

QUOTE(madisonLB @ Apr 19 2007 - 07:38 PM) 826441363[/snapback]Honestly i dont know what happened in dyersburg's other game, but today's game against Madison was rediculous. They had 1 ref. and 2 parents from dyersburg as the sideline ref's. And the referee didnt lose the game for dyersburg, they had 2 chances in the whole game while madison had about two hand fulls of chances... there is no way he costed you guys anything sorry to say... it was out of control... dirty fouls everywhere and soccer is meant to be played with passion, but there has to be a line... when a player is clearing a ball and a forward or another player just runs over him as he is clearing it and not going for the ball is just rediculous. Sorry to say it, but they costed you nothing in today's game. They were just plain woeful

agreed on the ref thing, I deserved my yellow, and it was a bad tackle (sorry desio) but our other players recieved cards for dissen, Kyle and a madison player were carded when they didnt deserve it, and we had another bad tackle for a card. Cards 2-4 could have been avoided with a second ref instead of linesmen. I knew their would be some friction between our teams, and two refs should have been used.The ref did seem a little card happy though, didnt give us any warnings. I also absolutely do not believe the refs in our two games were "bought off", but simply not trained well enough to recognize a call, or oversee a soccer game. Their was nothing wrong with madisons goals, they were both clear chances and madison took them. But i also agree that refs need to improve. I wish mr. King had reffed this game, he keeps things under control.

Maybe this was payback for the way the ref called the region tournament game at Madison last year. Wasn't there a problem in that game? Refs will not get any better in tournament play. Dyersburg took this game lightly. All it was to it. Good job Madison.

QUOTE(doc19 @ Apr 19 2007 - 09:13 PM) 826441441[/snapback]Maybe this was payback for the way the ref called the region tournament game at Madison last year. Wasn't there a problem in that game? Refs will not get any better in tournament play. Dyersburg took this game lightly. All it was to it. Good job Madison.

I wouldnt say we took it lightly, we wanted to win that game just as bad as every other game, if not more. Madison were the better team and they won, end of story

We are still at least one soccer generation away from good refs. It is discouraging that soccer officiating is taken so lightly. Would basketball play with only one ref? Would the game count? The bigger problem is refs who have never played soccer. You current players need to become refs as soon as you can. In college, whether you play college soccer or not. The younger players in West TN need you to give back, so they can have fairly officiated games. I am not being sarcastic, I really mean it. We need refs who have played soccer.

According to the TSSAA rule book all games must have at least two referees. I wonder if you could protest that the game wasn't official? What do you do if only one official shows up? Some would argue that a center ref with two club linesmen is better than a dual, but still not within the rules set forth by TSSAA.

I know yesterday the refs said there were so many games that they didn't have enough refs to have 2 at each game. I don't understand why we don't have enough refs but I guess if anyone needs a job there should be alot of openings to be a ref. Kinda sad though. Hopefully one day we will use the proper amount at each game with 3 refs, but that will be a long time.