Can West TN refs get any worse?

YellowCard

With the way parents treat young referees, we have to wonder where the next generation of officials is going to come from.

In Memphis there actually was a parent-assault on an AR last year at a game that involved a U-11 club team.

The verbal abuse these kids take is unbelievable. No amount of money is worth the baloney they hear.

West TN is nearing crisis level in bringing in young officials. When we have big club tournaments, we have to bring in refs from as far away as Michigan, New York, Maryland, etc.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SpeedyGonzo @ Apr 20 2007 - 12:00 PM) 826441797[/snapback]With the way parents treat young referees, we have to wonder where the next generation of officials is going to come from.

In Memphis there actually was a parent-assault on an AR last year at a game that involved a U-11 club team.

The verbal abuse these kids take is unbelievable. No amount of money is worth the baloney they hear.

West TN is nearing crisis level in bringing in young officials. When we have big club tournaments, we have to bring in refs from as far away as Michigan, New York, Maryland, etc.

I ref at Mike Rose in Germantown alot, during State Cup and prestiguous tournaments. I come 320 miles away to do the games. The Memphis referees are very good, there are a couple local high level and USSF nationals, and the GIT attracts alot of referees from around the country. I absolutely agree there is no place, absolutely no place in soccer for an adult to abuse any youth, referee or not. I protect my youth referees in my area with stiff fines against clubs for these instances. Also hearing the diatribe about a player whining about reffing, and particular calls, get over it. Here is my solution: sit in a class, get certified, get on the field, or shut up. In reading the posts, its a never ending litany of the blame game. Players rank on referees, coaches spectators are also in the mix. Its a veritable gang up on the guy in the middle, who probably will make a mistake since they are only human. As referees, we strive for 2 things : 1) control of the game 2) any decision, for what its worth, not affecting the outcome of the game. Anything else is just the filler. Now yes dissent is one of the seven cautionable offenses, and maybe the referee had enough. I ususally let players and coaches vent, as long as its not disrespectful. Sportsmanship is the true hallmark of this game. Winning is secondary. I'll be in Memphis for State Cup this year, with all the other higher ranking referees in the state.