Bearden...tough week ahead

dins8

QUOTE(NedNatterjack @ Apr 24 2007 - 01:18 PM) 826444258[/snapback]Then who is he? And please don't tell me you are going to protect yoda's anononimity (sp.) as well.

DINS8 You are powerful, everyone is hitting my profile to see whom I am so they can figure out whom you are.........( even you hit me today),

and Ned, I told you that I had Dins8's back and if he wants to tell you he can. I won't and truthfully he will probably leave you guessing because he would have to explain why he feelsthe way he does if if he reveals whom he is . But if you know Knox soccer you would know whom he is if he reveals himself.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Lion106 @ Apr 24 2007 - 11:48 AM) 826444106[/snapback]Bearden 2 Maryville 0

Bearden 3 South Doyle 1

Bearden is tooooo strong all over the field for both these teams. Of course they will have some chances, but the KEEPER for Bearden is one of the best in the state! (if not THE best)

Eric Turner will have his team mentally ready as always...and the post-season is almost here!

Good luck to all !!!

Bearden 2 Maryville 1

I caught the second half of the Bearden/Maryville game. It went pretty much as most people expected. Bearden was not phased by Maryville's tricky mids, and eventually Bearden put a scrappy goal in off of a long throw.

I was surprised to see how much space Bearden was giving Maryville's midfield. It seemed that both #7 and #10 on Maryville had room to maneuver and shoot. #10 had some solid opportunities. For a lot of the second half Maryville seemed to out-possess Bearden, and it almost looked as if Bearden was bunkering. I guess good teams naturally bunker with a 1 goal lead. Maryville used the width of the field well in the half that I saw, and they hit some great driven balls into the box from their flanks. However, their outside mids were normally trying to pick out two forwards in the box along with 7 Bearden defenders.

Bearden's defensive style truly did frustrate Maryville, but it was again very savvy play from an experienced Bearden team. They relied on a good stick on defense or their keeper's assertiveness in the box. I think the most intriguing part about Bearden's game is their transition offense. Bearden's goalie and backs seem to bypass the midfield and rely on their talented forwards to go one vs. one or 3 vs. 3 against an opposing team's defense. This frustrated Maryville something awful. They would work so hard to get numbers forward, and the instant that Maryville thought they had Bearden on their heels, a back would intercept a pass and drive a long ball to a checking forward. Webster and company would then attack with alacrity and expose some vulnerable and young Maryville backs. Some people will call Bearden's style overly direct or long ball, but it appears that it is just smart transition offense. Again, Turner teaches team defense, and quick transition on offense (whether it is with a 100 yd. drop kick from their goalie or a big clearance from their backs). This was the same offense that frustrated a possession oriented Farragut team.

Maryville ended up getting a nice goal when they finally moved Carter up, but it was too little too late. Good games from both sides, but Bearden, as most expected, was just a little too much.

Two questions:

1.) Who is #10 for Maryville...Large?

2.) How did Bearden score in the first half?

p.s.-On the Pitch...I don't think you have a clue who I am /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(kingoftheblurbs @ Apr 24 2007 - 07:21 PM) 826444416[/snapback]Bearden 2 Maryville 1

The test for Bearden is almost finished with a solid win over Maryville tonight. The next test is South-Doyle... finally. At last, we will get to see what kind of team South-Doyle really is. Do they deserve the recognition they are asking for so desperately? Or will a weak schedule not have them properly trained for a team of Bearden's caliber?

Oh, from all the talk that we hear from South-Doyle, they will be ready. But don't think for one minute Bearden hasn't heard these comments. I believe South-Doyle is putting way too much effort; trying to prove a whole season on this one game. Bearden will bypass South-Doyle's strength, the midfield, and get them with their quick transition and long ball to the forwards. Too much pressure on South-Doyle's backs to hold them off. Although, I don't think it's going to be the game that some people think it will be, I wish I could see this one. I'm taking Bearden 3-0.

Good luck to both! I hope South-Doyle can prove me wrong. That's all we need, another powerful Knoxville team!

QUOTE(dins8 @ Apr 24 2007 - 10:09 PM) 826444698[/snapback]Two questions:

1.) Who is #10 for Maryville...Large?

2.) How did Bearden score in the first half?

1) #10 is David Large, a Junior. He and Ridge work very well together and he might have a more powerful shot than Ridge if it is ever on frame. Of the 9 shots Maryville had tonight, he had 6 or 7 of them. He can shoot from nearly anywhere.

2) The goal was scored by Webster, when they got Maryville in transition and the sweeper stabbed. As usual, Webster dribbled passed the defense and it was pretty much a break away. The goals that Maryville gave up, seemed to be preventable goals, but that's how Bearden scores mostly.

Not only did Bearden "bunker" with a 1 goal lead, they were doing that before they got their first goal. That is the type of soccer they play, and they play it very nicely. It is not very attractive soccer, but it sure does get the job done. They know their strengths and weaknesses. When they can get the long balls from intercepted passes and Walker's punts, this proves to be too much pressure for any defense eventually.

They almost dare teams to score from outside the 18 and most high school teams don't have kids that shoot balls around the perimeter and get it past a keeper of Walker's ability.

QUOTE(dins8 @ Apr 24 2007 - 10:22 PM) 826444710[/snapback]One more question...

Was it my imagination, or did the kid who broke his collar bone for Maryville play tonight?

It must have been your imagination, because that kid was on the sideline in a sling. He is done for the year and on some pretty strong pain medications, still. Luckily they didn't have to do surgery like they first thought.

QUOTE(NedNatterjack @ Apr 24 2007 - 10:45 PM) 826444731[/snapback]It must have been your imagination, because that kid was on the sideline in a sling. He is done for the year and on some pretty strong pain medications, still. Luckily they didn't have to do surgery like they first thought.

That was my understanding, but I still thought I saw him on the field. My eyes must be going bad. Tell him to keep his chin up!

Best.

To dins8...I enjoyed your comments about the Maryville Vs. Bearden game and agree with most of it. Bearden has South Doyle- (the most under-rated team in the area) left in their district. This should be a great game! The SD players were there at the game(vs Maryville) watching. They aim to get some respect, and the only way they can, is to beat Bearden. After that game Bearden has Webb and Alcoa still to play. Can you say...battle hardened!! Look at Beardens schedule- it has been very hard. I think this is the key to their success- tough games all the time. I was looking at the eurosport.com site. So far 13 of the teams that Bearden has played have a winning record. If you look at Brentwood- I think they played 5 or 6 teams with winning records. The schedule that a team plays during the year could have something to do with the success in post-season! Thoughts about schedules???

Anyone??

As far as predictions go I say Bearden 3 South Doyle 1. Good luck to both teams!!

By the way Maryville looked very, very good last night- they will be (are) dangerous going down to post-season!!

Nice analysis Dins8.

QUOTE(dins8 @ Apr 25 2007 - 12:09 AM) 826444698[/snapback]I was surprised to see how much space Bearden was giving Maryville's midfield. It seemed that both #7 and #10 on Maryville had room to maneuver and shoot. #10 had some solid opportunities.

Exactly what they did to Hendersonville in the state championship last year. Hv took shot after shot from 20+ yds but got almost nothing inside.

QUOTE(dins8 @ Apr 25 2007 - 12:09 AM) 826444698[/snapback]For a lot of the second half Maryville seemed to out-possess Bearden, and it almost looked as if Bearden was bunkering. ...

It looks like it, but in the Bearden games I've seen they only play three defenders (last year they played four), but they've got 4-5 midfielders that don't mind working their butts off. The two outside mids almost always beat the opposing fwds back down the field essentially creating a flat five at times. By the time the opposing offense has 4-5 players down the field Bearden has 6-7 standing at the 18.

QUOTE(dins8 @ Apr 25 2007 - 12:09 AM) 826444698[/snapback]...Bearden's defensive style truly did frustrate Maryville, but it was again very savvy play from an experienced Bearden team. They relied on a good stick on defense or their keeper's assertiveness in the box. I think the most intriguing part about Bearden's game is their transition offense. ...

Yes, but what too many overlook is the transition defense. How does Turner get his midfielders to work so hard? Easy, he's got enough depth that if you don't run you'll be on the bench in a hurry. And that's not an idle threat.