best grass types ?

liverpool fc 8

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(liverpool fc 8 @ Apr 24 2007 - 10:18 PM) 826444610[/snapback]trying to get some thoughts on the best grass types and best fields in the state. What are your favorites?

Green weeds do well this time of year /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I'd take any grass that grows right now..so bermuda is kinda out

QUOTE(YellowCardFever @ Apr 24 2007 - 10:32 PM) 826444628[/snapback]Green weeds do well this time of year /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I'd take any grass that grows right now..so bermuda is kinda out

Despite what most think, when mixed with a recessive breed such as azozia or fescue, bermuda can be extremely effective in the early to mid spring.

QUOTE(Heelsfan247 @ Apr 25 2007 - 07:10 AM) 826444780[/snapback]Bermuda is really nice as long as it doesn't warm up in the spring and then get hit by a hard frost(killing the grass) like what happened this year. If the weather warms up and stays warm, bermuda is probably the best grass for a field.

I have to say that a mixture of pure clover and a slight hint of Fescue makes the best playing surface... the ball just rolls ever so smoothly until it runs into a nice clump of clover and completely diverts the opponents pass. This would allow any good team to take advantage of the field and run with it. I mean for crying out loud we just played on a field that was closer to a beach then a soccer field. I personally feel that if we could remove the sand and the Zoesia hybrids, we would find ourselves playing on a purely arousing green surface with no complaints about fields causing losses or sand bunkers in the middle of a playing... golf is fun and all but come on... no ones wants to have their balls stuck in the sand.

QUOTE(Hoya @ Apr 25 2007 - 07:35 AM) 826444860[/snapback]In the communications industry they would attribute this thread to a "slow news day". /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Ha ha! Hoya, you kill me!

If you think about it, guys, I don't think anyone wants their fields to be like a back yard alley. CAK took a gamble and decided to go with straight bermuda and not plant any winter rye... words of wisdom... we gambled and lost! It was looking really good until those three hard frosts hit, and killed all the bermuda but left the tufts of crab grass that can live through a nuclear holocaust. Now we have to cut the field down to the dirt to get a "flat" surface. That is one reason I am jealous of the girls season... their fields are usually all in great shape after the summer growing season.

Webb's field is one of the nicest in the state... though, they have some good money going into the upkeep, as well. Lots of schools with soccer programs are lucky if the football team "allows" them to use "their" fields, let alone getting enough money to pay for 3 refs or to put money into a field.

My field was hit by the frost too. We didn't overseed this past winter and we also have the the problem of middle school games and of all things rugby, which did a nice job of brutalizing it by playing after a rain.

I do prefer Bermuda, but playing soccer in the spring means that you run the risk of playing more on the sand or dirt base rather than grass.

QUOTE(mtcsbrett @ Apr 25 2007 - 11:15 AM) 826445014[/snapback]What kind of grass does Columbia Academy play on? That's a nice field...

if i am not mistaken, i believe columbia academy's field is an amazon moss/monkey grass hybrid with a 12.5 to 1 ratio... the secret behind their nice field is the soil, though... it's straight out of the indian rainforest, and has plenty of nutrients from the dead sloths that have fertilized it.