Hillsboro

macdaddy

QUOTE(workinprogress @ Apr 26 2007 - 01:34 PM) 826446014[/snapback]Sure I would say Riverdale has tradition. Gold balls would equal tradition but a team that has had years of winning teams over a long period of time and a solid fan base would also have tradition. I think White House has good tradition as well as Gallatin. I do not believe that Maryville has tradition yet. I only brought them up to prove a point. I agree that Maryville is a great team who is building great tradition but to me they are not a tradition rich program.

You say you only brought up Maryville to prove a point. What point are you trying to prove? How many more titles and winning years will Maryville need to meet your standard of tradition?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(12NCS @ Apr 26 2007 - 01:47 PM) 826446023[/snapback]You say you only brought up Maryville to prove a point. What point are you trying to prove?

That Hillsboro is not imo a tradition rich program.

Hillsboro is open zone. They also have what many say is the top public middle school in town (Moore Middle). They (Moore) have won the City in football (along with just about all other sports) many many times. They have good coaches but they also are in a good situation with their main feeder school and open zone.

QUOTE(workinprogress @ Apr 26 2007 - 02:34 PM) 826446014[/snapback]Sure I would say Riverdale has tradition. Gold balls would equal tradition but a team that has had years of winning teams over a long period of time and a solid fan base would also have tradition. I think White House has good tradition as well as Gallatin. I do not believe that Maryville has tradition yet. I only brought them up to prove a point. I agree that Maryville is a great team who is building great tradition but to me they are not a tradition rich program.

Maryville is one of the most tradition rich programs in Tennessee. Maryville was dominant in the 70s. I guarantee you Maryville is the only team to have an undefeated record vs Brentwood Academy. Maryville went to 4 2A State Championship games in a row in the late 70s. 76 and 78 state champs. 77 and 79 state runner up. Maryville has 10 state titles. Here is some of Maryville's tradition. No one has dominated their class like Maryville has dominated 4A here lately. 98-2 in their last 100 games. 6 State Titles in this decade. 7 Titles in the last 9 years.

Maryville Rebel Football

10 State Titles. 1970,76,78,1998,2000,01,02,04,05 and 06.

3 State runner ups. 1977,79 and 1997.

7 perfect seasons 1970,1978,1998,2002,2004,2005 and 2006

42 Blount County Championships

19 Region titles

629-213 record all time

Ted Wilson coached at Maryville from 1966-1980 with 3 State Titles. He was voted in the TSSAA Hall of Fame this spring

Lynn Brown was voted in the TSSAA Hall of Fame this spring. He was an assistant coach under Wilson.

Don Story will probably be a TSSAA Hall of Fame coach one day. George Quarles will definately be in the TSSAA Hall of Fame one day.

Yes! Maryville definately doesn't have any tradition. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(Angus @ Apr 26 2007 - 01:54 PM) 826446030[/snapback]Hillsboro is open zone. They also have what many say is the top public middle school in town (Moore Middle). They (Moore) have won the City in football (along with just about all other sports) many many times. They have good coaches but they also are in a good situation with their main feeder school and open zone.

I agree Angus, when it comes to middle school football, JT Moore is the standard for all others to try and reach. Wiggington and Davis do an incredible job year in and year out.

Maryville does have good feeder programs. They have even better coaching.

Now that Hillsboro is winning there will be fans saying they win because of open zones. Open zones may help but coaching has helped Hillsboro the most since 2000. I don't care if you have open zones or not. If you have great coaching you can win.If you have poor coaching you will lose. All you have to look at is MOWest. They were terrible before Don Woods showed up. Now they are one of the best 4A teams in the state.

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(REBELRON @ Apr 26 2007 - 02:02 PM) 826446038[/snapback]Hillsboro wasn't too good till Ron Adelott come on board. Amazing what good coaching will do to a program. Scott Blade will keep Hillsboro at a high level.

I think that one year is hard to make any kind of statement towards. Yes he did well his first year and should be commended for that. However, I think that we will see even more of what kind of coach he is this year and in 2008. This year we will be able to see if he can put together a string of quality seasons and in 2008 we will see how he does without a better than average quarterback (Arrent). I feel like Blade did a lot of things well until the Mt. Juliet game and also the Maryville game. In both I dont think the Burros were ready to play. I feel like against both of those schools Hillsboro was out coached. Mt. Juliet was not a very good team and gave the Burros all they wanted and Maryville had their way with the Burros. We will see if Blade learns from his mistakes like good coaches do.

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(REBELRON @ Apr 26 2007 - 02:20 PM) 826446054[/snapback]Maryville does have good feeder programs. They have even better coaching.

Now that Hillsboro is winning there will be fans saying they win because of open zones. Open zones may help but coaching has helped Hillsboro the most since 2000. I don't care if you have open zones or not. If you have great coaching you can win.If you have poor coaching you will lose. All you have to look at is MOWest. They were terrible before Don Woods showed up. Now they are one of the best 4A teams in the state.

I think that Hillsboro wins for many reasons. Yes they have what appear to be good coaches, yes they have talented athletes, but open enrollment certainly doesnt hurt either.