4. Central

5. Powell

6. Morristown West

7. Maryville

8. Sweetwater

9. Cherokee

10. Halls/Karns

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

What is it? Fan poll? PrepXtra's rankings?

Not saying that this isn't a fair assessment of East TN softball (though I would disagree with some of the ordering), but in general, the PrepXtra site for softball is pretty useless. The information there is incomplete and what is there is not very reliable. For example - they show show Kandice Irwin's ERA to be 33 - she's pitched 48 innings in 147 complete games even though she has no starts. They also report that she has walked 224 batters in those 48 innings and only given up 8 runs. PrepXtra also reports that Rachel Ingelby has given up 36 home runs this year, but only 26 runs and her ERA - 33, same as Irwin. PrepXtra Softball is a waste of perfectly good disk space.

QUOTE(softballfan007 @ Apr 27 2007 - 12:50 PM) 826446848[/snapback]This was just my assessment of Softball in this area. I agree about the prep extra being a good waste of space. I'd be interested to see your ordering of teams in this area. The team I follow isnt even close to being in the rankings and I just wanted some opinions of who the best team or teams around are.

OK - but I'm going to get to see a couple of teams I haven't seen yet over the weekend - I'll do it Monday. One observation is that I don't feel that Sweetwater would be in my top 10.

QUOTE(softballfan007 @ Apr 26 2007 - 01:50 PM) 826445978[/snapback]1. Gibbs

2. Farragut

3. Heritage

4. Central

5. Powell

6. Morristown West

7. Maryville

8. Sweetwater

9. Cherokee

10. Halls/Karns

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I'll give it a go....mine is slightly different>

1. Gibbs - Pprobably the best all-around team in the Knoxville area...good pitching, hitting and defense!

2. Central - With Irwin on the mound Central can beat anyone in the state...they just have to score a 1 (maybe 2).

3. Powell - Like Gibbs, another potent hitting lineup...and Sutphin is good enough to beat most teams.

4. Stone Memorial - This team is tough...but flying way under the radar (not even mentioned above). They may be state bound in 2A.

5. Heritage - Great pitching with Fagg...and a strong lineup to boot. No real superstars, but this team may have the most depth in Knoxville.

6. Farragut - This Ingleby kid is giving up little from the mound...but where did Farragut learn to hit?

7, 8, 9 - Halls, Karns, Mo. West - It is a tossup here. They all have good athletes...Mo West has the pitching edge.

10. Seymour - Also not mentioned above, but could be a sleeper. Lost a lot of games by one run due to defensive errors, but hits the ball well and Monday has amassed over 230 k's (the only one close to Irwin in Knoxville) already this year. Gibbs gave them a sound beating, but they could easily give everyone on the list trouble.

Gibbs is going to state again in AA (I think that is like 21 out of the last 22 years....which is beyond belief). I expect either Stone or Seymour will get by the Region 1 (Unicoi) teams to follow them. Gibbs will give Goodpasture a good game for a possible state title.

Irwin will likely pitch Central into another state trip. I believe either Powell or Heritage will get by Science Hill to join them. I hope Central gets to play Riverdale so that the best two pitchers in the state get to duel...it could set a single game strikeout record. But AAA will be Soddy's or Riverdale's to lose...just too much for Knoxville area teams.

I'll give it a go....mine is slightly different>

1. Gibbs - Pprobably the best all-around team in the Knoxville area...good pitching, hitting and defense!

2. Central - With Irwin on the mound Central can beat anyone in the state...they just have to score a 1 (maybe 2).

3. Powell - Like Gibbs, another potent hitting lineup...and Sutphin is good enough to beat most teams.

4. Stone Memorial - This team is tough...but flying way under the radar (not even mentioned above). They may be state bound in 2A.

5. Heritage - Great pitching with Fagg...and a strong lineup to boot. No real superstars, but this team may have the most depth in Knoxville.

6. Farragut - This Ingleby kid is giving up little from the mound...but where did Farragut learn to hit?

7, 8, 9 - Halls, Karns, Mo. West - It is a tossup here. They all have good athletes...Mo West has the pitching edge.

10. Seymour - Also not mentioned above, but could be a sleeper. Lost a lot of games by one run due to defensive errors, but hits the ball well and Monday has amassed over 230 k's (the only one close to Irwin in Knoxville) already this year. Gibbs gave them a sound beating, but they could easily give everyone on the list trouble.

I didnt think that Stone was in the Knoxville Newsless Sentinel area. I didnt remember seeing their girls ranked in the poll that the "paper" did for basketball, and they were definately loaded in girls basketball. If they are in the coverage area they definately belong in the middle of the top ten at worst.

QUOTE(mwtfan @ Apr 27 2007 - 02:02 PM) 826446929[/snapback]OK - but I'm going to get to see a couple of teams I haven't seen yet over the weekend - I'll do it Monday. One observation is that I don't feel that Sweetwater would be in my top 10.

Mwtfan,

Good luck M West in Knoxville, this weekend. Hope you guys show that IMAC has to be considered during this year's state tournament run.

QUOTE(softballfan007 @ Apr 27 2007 - 02:23 PM) 826446951[/snapback]I didnt think that Stone was in the Knoxville Newsless Sentinel area. I didnt remember seeing their girls ranked in the poll that the "paper" did for basketball, and they were definately loaded in girls basketball. If they are in the coverage area they definately belong in the middle of the top ten at worst.

Stone is District 4, Region 2 in AA...same a CAK, Kingston, Anderson Co etc. I don't see how they could not be in Prep Xtra?

QUOTE(The Final Chapter @ Apr 27 2007 - 02:12 PM) 826446939[/snapback]I'll give it a go....mine is slightly different>

Gibbs is going to state again in AA (I think that is like 21 out of the last 22 years....which is beyond belief). I expect either Stone or Seymour will get by the Region 1 (Unicoi) teams to follow them. Gibbs will give Goodpasture a good game for a possible state title.

Irwin will likely pitch Central into another state trip. I believe either Powell or Heritage will get by Science Hill to join them. I hope Central gets to play Riverdale so that the best two pitchers in the state get to duel...it could set a single game strikeout record. But AAA will be Soddy's or Riverdale's to lose...just too much for Knoxville area teams.

I agree with most of these picks. Number 10 shouldnt be there. Seymour is a good team with great pitching. But I do not believe they can beat any of the teams in District 4AA. I know Gibbs is the favortie but I believe that Stone is the best team in the Region. This team is solid in all parts. It should be a very interesting district and region. I look forward to watching these great games. Best of luck too all these teams mentioned above.

When Cumberland County High School, Sweetwater, some of those type teams have really good seasons, the Chattanooga media sort of adopts as one of their own, lol, and begin covering them more. I remember when Sweetwater won the football state in 1993, they had all sorts of stories, top of the sports page articles. Cumberland's girls' basketball in some recent years is another example, though they didn't get the coverage that Sweetwater team did. When they're not too good you don't read a word. I'd say the Knoxville media treats those two the same way, and I imagine Cumberland and Stone get some Cookeville coverage in all-star teams, etc.

QUOTE(mwtfan @ Apr 27 2007 - 02:02 PM) 826446929[/snapback]OK - but I'm going to get to see a couple of teams I haven't seen yet over the weekend - I'll do it Monday. One observation is that I don't feel that Sweetwater would be in my top 10.

I'll take a stab at it for you...let's see,

M West beat Central 2-0....Central and Powell split....Powell took Halls twice...Halls beat Central once....Karns and powell split...Powell beat Farragut in the silver c'Ship at Ooltewah....Farragut just beat M West 1-0 in 9 innings...Karns split with Farragut...Heritage split with Farragut.

Hmmmmm?

1. Gibbs

2. Cherokee

3. Everyone else

Seriously,

If you look at how the state tournament is shaping up:

Region 7&8.....Munford and Colierville (Don't really know that much about them)

Region 5&6.....Brentwood and Mt. Juliet (Sorry Hendersonville....tough to beat them 3 or 4 times I imagine)

Region 3&4.....Soddy Daisy and Riverdale

Region 1&2.....Who knows this is going to be a blast of a tournament.