Best player in the state

boomer5

I've seen most of the West TN kids listed along with Gray and Egerton. Everyone has a valid point as to why their favorite son should be the best, but they are all really great players and and great assets to their respective teams. I would hate to be faced with picking an MVP from all of the great ones across the state. I'm glad that I got to see some of them play.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vultor is right...but minor is up to vandy's #2 starter now. that kid is phenomenal. The kids in single A see some decent pitching. it is just not consistently as strong as AA or AAA. what i mean is that the pitching staffs at smaller schools don't have the depth as those at larger schools. there may be some good "aces" but #2s and #3s are not going to be as solid at smaller schools, typically. there are always exceptions. and anyone who drops around 17 bombs in a season is doing something right and should be commended for an excellent season.

ps. if you haven't seen sonny pitch, it is well worth the price of admission + gas price from anywhere in the state. he has nights where he doesn't have his best stuff, like everyone, but he can dominate on any given night. when he pitched against hill from mt juliet and frey from beech....that is about as good as a high school pitching matchup can be. 9AAA was strong this year. loaded with pitching and experienced teams.

QUOTE(gallatinboy4 @ May 2 2007 - 09:47 AM) 826449882[/snapback]sonny can be one of the best players but the best player in the state is timothy egerton the SS from smyra

I hope Egerton makes the smart decision and goes to Columbia St. Trust me Egerton, I played under Coach Bratton as well and it would benefit you greatly to go to Columbia St. They already have a great class coming in and you would be icing on the cake.

QUOTE(Vultor @ May 1 2007 - 11:33 PM) 826449681[/snapback]I would tread lightly about what class has the best pitching. Last year Class A Forrest had Mikey Minor who is now the #4 starter at Vanderbilt as a true freshman. He is 7-0 as a starter, and Ben Skelly who is pitching for Vol State. Both are low 90s pitchers.

I never said that some pitchers are not very good, but the majority in single A are not as good

QUOTE(7inningparadise @ May 3 2007 - 12:30 PM) 826450840[/snapback]I never said that some pitchers are not very good, but the majority in single A are not as good

Scratching my head.... "not very good" vs "not as good" ..."very" vs "as"..

Reminds me of Clinton and LeWinski... so in the words of president Clinton "it all depends on what your definition of "is" is!"

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ May 3 2007 - 10:34 AM) 826450844[/snapback]Scratching my head.... "not very good" vs "not as good" ..."very" vs "as"..

Reminds me of Clinton and LeWinski... so in the words of president Clinton "it all depends on what your definition of "is" is!"

So you think the competition and pitching is as good everday in A as it is in AAA?

QUOTE(7inningparadise @ May 3 2007 - 12:30 PM) 826450840[/snapback]I never said that some pitchers are not very good, but the majority in single A are not as good

QUOTE(7inningparadise @ May 3 2007 - 12:43 PM) 826450850[/snapback]So you think the competition and pitching is as good everday in A as it is in AAA?

I didn't say a word about what I thought about pitching from any level... I merely was pondering the point you were trying to make in your first comment. I never measure the worth of a pitch by speed. I never measure the worth of a team by how many homeruns they can hit...it is all relative...

Kids who play on a deeper home field will not put up near the homeruns as kids who play on front porches... so many will contend that the kid who puts up lower ERA's on the year are better pitchers because of that...until they face the same bats on fields of relatively same dimensions then their will be no way to verify a claim of one pitcher being better then another...or one batter being better then another...or one team being better then another...

For the same reason I have a problem putting any real faith in the national high school baseball ratings.... How can you claim to better then someone you never played against?

So precisely what is the difference in "not very good" and "not as good"? The difference eludes me at this moment.

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ May 3 2007 - 01:28 PM) 826450925[/snapback]Best player in the state is the freshman 3rd baseman at USJ....

For those who don't know, his name is Preston Overbey. Best in the state...I don't know and wouldn't want to have to decide. He is very good though, and so are Clayton Gant and Josh Liles....no way would I want to choose!

QUOTE(BaseballthruNthru @ May 3 2007 - 02:24 PM) 826450966[/snapback]For those who don't know, his name is Preston Overbey. Best in the state...I don't know and wouldn't want to have to decide. He is very good though, and so are Clayton Gant and Josh Liles....no way would I want to choose!

I agree. All three of these guys are great players.

I have had sons who have played in both AAA and AA. I have seen both very closely. There is no comparison between the DEPTH of pitching in the two levels. AAA is much tougher, night in and night out, than AA. My son's AAA district of 7 teams during his senior yr had 18 kids who went on to pitch at a college level. My other son's very good AA team probably saw no more than 5 pitchers who went on to pitch at college.

That said, it doesnt mean that AA and A dont have outstanding pitchers because they do, but the 2s and 3s usually arent as good at AA and A levels.