Stone Memorial

pantherdad

Congrats to Stone!!!

Their success this year has been acheived by: 1. Previous successfull years of playing at CCHS under (T-bone). 2. The strong youth leagues and travel teams in the county that have been developed for some years now. 3. Great pitching and Defense.

I am a Cumberland Countian who is trying to do my best to root for both schools, as I would hope most would. I know SMHS has the better share of talent in Girls Bball and Softball, but I also know it will even out if not swing to CCHS side on talent in coming years looking at the talent at the feeder schools. I think it is hard for some to swallow the great success of SMHS this year on the girls side. But I would hope most would just give it time and I predict things will even out, which will make for some great competition in future years.

SMHS fans please don't think all CCHS fans "reek of sour grapes," because they don't. It is just a BIG change for the county and will take some adjustment time for many.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mr chs93 @ May 2 2007 - 10:25 AM) 826449933[/snapback]Congrats to Stone!!!

Their success this year has been acheived by: 1. Previous successfull years of playing at CCHS under (T-bone). 2. The strong youth leagues and travel teams in the county that have been developed for some years now. 3. Great pitching and Defense.

I am a Cumberland Countian who is trying to do my best to root for both schools, as I would hope most would. I know SMHS has the better share of talent in Girls Bball and Softball, but I also know it will even out if not swing to CCHS side on talent in coming years looking at the talent at the feeder schools. I think it is hard for some to swallow the great success of SMHS this year on the girls side. But I would hope most would just give it time and I predict things will even out, which will make for some great competition in future years.

SMHS fans please don't think all CCHS fans "reek of sour grapes," because they don't. It is just a BIG change for the county and will take some adjustment time for many.

Many people don't stop to think how all this bitterness affects the student athletes. Most of us did not have a choice of where we play ball. We are hard zoned. The only ones with a choice were the seniors who were zoned for SMHS. Most seniors decided to stay at CCHS. We have a senior class of only 93 this year at SMHS. It's bad when you go out on the field or court and are ridiculed by the same fans who cheered you last year. Most of us have remained friends with our former teammates; it's the parents and other adults who have turned us into bitter rivals. Just shut up and leave us alone! The athletes have, for the most part, acted more mature than the adults in the county. If Unreal21 is having sour grapes then that's his/her problem and can just stew in their own ulcer juices. It's not worth it. As for the athletes in this county, we will continue to do what we love; play ball.

QUOTE(pantherdad @ May 1 2007 - 04:16 PM) 826449332[/snapback]Congradulations to Stone Memorial for clinching the regular season crown for Region 2 Dist 4AA /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I would like it if someone who has knowledge of the history of Softball in Dist. 4AA to give some insight.

Has this district been competitive in recent years past the district level in post-season?

Is so, who has normally been the top teams out of the district?

I am asking these questions to try to get a measure on where Stone stands in AA ball. They came from a solid AAA program at CCHS that was always competitive with the Red Banks and Soddys, and just a few years ago was State runner-up AAA.

Also because STONE DOMINATED this district, by scoreboard stats: Stone Runs scored= 60 4AA opponents= 5

That is Domination!!! Who are normally AA top teams in State???

Indian- last time I checked with guidance ( during all of the stuff during basketball season at state tournament time,) Stone's enrollment was around 930. I am sure it is still close- +/- 10.

Mr CHS- I know Gibbs is a tough program that SMHS would have to face if they make it past region. I don't really know much else about AA softball except that there are some supremely tough teams ( not in this district ) but in the Nashville and Knoxville area especially.

So if they graduate 93, they should have about 275 in 10-12 each, they'll probably have about 1100 next year if the incoming group is similar. There's no doubt they'll be AAA soon, that's not what I was wondering, I was thinking more on where they'll be, I'd guess the Cleveland-Athens AAA district with Cleveland, McMinn County, Bradley, Rhea, Walker Valley and Cumberland County. I wouldn't be surprised if Rhea is moved into the Chattanooga AAA district, since that one only has four, it could depend on if Hixson moves to AAA due to redistricting in Hamilton County schools. A coach from there says that will probably happen. All of it might be a domino effect from the new Signal Mt high school opening. I'm interested in the upcoming classifications, since two new schools are opening in Chattanooga, one will likely be in Sequatchie's basketball, baseball and softball district, and Sequatchie will probably have another 200-student group of freshmen entering (around 630-650 this year) so they should move up in football to 3A. As for Stone, I got to see them for just a few minutes in a tournament, but I was impressed, and the non-district wins speak for themselves. I'd say they're a definite state contender in AA this year.

QUOTE(mr chs93 @ May 2 2007 - 11:52 AM) 826450014[/snapback]I would like it if someone who has knowledge of the history of Softball in Dist. 4AA to give some insight.

Has this district been competitive in recent years past the district level in post-season?

I am asking these questions to try to get a measure on where Stone stands in AA ball. They came from a solid AAA program at CCHS that was always competitive with the Red Banks and Soddys, and just a few years ago was State runner-up AAA.

Also because STONE DOMINATED this district, by scoreboard stats: Stone Runs scored= 60 4AA opponents= 5

we moved into AA last year, and we play primarily a AAA schedule except our district games, but to answer your question on who is usually the competition in AA, from what I have seen, is Hixson, Covington has a tough pitcher and are well coached, Gibbs is always tough every year, camden, I have not seen Stone Memorial play but they do have an impressive resume. There are many others out there I do not know much about, but any team can beat anyone any given day. The key for you to look into is who you will get at sub-state. In the past region 2 usually gets 1 or two teams to state. this is a one and done game. need to stay #1 through the region so you play at home.

QUOTE(mr chs93 @ May 2 2007 - 12:52 PM) 826450014[/snapback]I would like it if someone who has knowledge of the history of Softball in Dist. 4AA to give some insight.

Region 2 AA has a history of strength...mainly because of Gibbs. However District 4 had its own state champion just three years ago with Lenoir City. This team was led by Sarah Vaughn, one of the best players to ever come out of the KIL. I believe at least 7 (maybe more) state championships have come out of Region 2 in the past 20 years....I pretty sure 6+ are from Gibbs....not to shabby for a bunch of East Tennessee players. As for Stone, I watched them play early in the season...and they are solid. But there are some pretty good teams they will have to face in District 4. CAK, because of pitching, may pose the biggest threat, but Stone should get out easily in the top 2. Depending on how District 3 shakes out, you will likely see either Gibbs or Seymour and either should give you all you want, but if you advance and don't finish 1st in Region...I am sure you will run into Unicoi County in sub-state...and they are always tough. IF you get to state.....you get rewarded by playing 5 time defending state champion (the last in AA) Goodpasture at some point, so get ready for a tough road....AA is no cake walk!

QUOTE(mr chs93 @ May 2 2007 - 10:52 AM) 826450014[/snapback]I would like it if someone who has knowledge of the history of Softball in Dist. 4AA to give some insight.

There is one team in District 4AA that everyone seems to keep forgeting about, Kingston, not only have they finished 1st or 2nd in the district for 14 out of the last 15 years, they have also been to the state tournament 2 out of the last 7 years, they are the defending district champions, so to me it would be hard to count them out and just give the district to Stone or CAK. They have a pretty good team, along with a pretty good pitcher who was last years district MVP.

QUOTE(slappy10 @ May 2 2007 - 01:54 PM) 826450133[/snapback]There is one team in District 4AA that everyone seems to keep forgeting about, Kingston, not only have they finished 1st or 2nd in the district for 14 out of the last 15 years, they have also been to the state tournament 2 out of the last 7 years, they are the defending district champions, so to me it would be hard to count them out and just give the district to Stone or CAK. They have a pretty good team, along with a pretty good pitcher who was last years district MVP.

Sorry if I offend you but BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! Hearing how Kingston is the "forgotten underdog who's going to come back to surprise us all" is really starting to get annoying. Their pitcher, who i admit is decent, has not fared very well during regular season play. So if they really are going to "come back and win" i hope they have some sneak attacks or something because it doesn't look very likely. Being the defending district champs doesn't mean anything! Let's see if you can back up your bragging because right now that's all it is: hot air. Thank you and goodnight!

Congrats Lady Panthers!!!

QUOTE(The Final Chapter @ May 2 2007 - 12:28 PM) 826450113[/snapback]Region 2 AA has a history of strength...mainly because of Gibbs. However District 4 had its own state champion just three years ago with Lenoir City. This team was led by Sarah Vaughn, one of the best players to ever come out of the KIL. I believe at least 7 (maybe more) state championships have come out of Region 2 in the past 20 years....I pretty sure 6+ are from Gibbs....not to shabby for a bunch of East Tennessee players. As for Stone, I watched them play early in the season...and they are solid. But there are some pretty good teams they will have to face in District 4. CAK, because of pitching, may pose the biggest threat, but Stone should get out easily in the top 2. Depending on how District 3 shakes out, you will likely see either Gibbs or Seymour and either should give you all you want, but if you advance and don't finish 1st in Region...I am sure you will run into Unicoi County in sub-state...and they are always tough. IF you get to state.....you get rewarded by playing 5 time defending state champion (the last in AA) Goodpasture at some point, so get ready for a tough road....AA is no cake walk!

Unicoi is very tough this year when they come to play but they have a hard time getting their players to care this year but they should still go far.